Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 19 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts

Default Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Did a quick search and didn't see anything. I just updated Google Maps last night and now my Navigation app (little blue arrow) is completely gone. The Icon is gone and its not listed in the App Manager. I was wondering if anyone else had this? Did something go wrong or are they eliminating the Navigation App in favor of just using the standard Google Maps UI?

I'm using a AT&T Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.1 running Apex Launcher (although I can't imagine the launcher is to blame)
    Pat Sully likes this.

Default Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

I thought I read somewhere they were going the way of the dodo with that app along with latitude and a few others?
    Device: Nokia Lumia 1020 (WP8.1 Lumia Black)
    Tablet: Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 (Android 4.2.2)

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Did a quick search and didn't see anything. I just updated Google Maps last night and now my Navigation app (little blue arrow) is completely gone. The Icon is gone and its not listed in the App Manager. I was wondering if anyone else had this? Did something go wrong or are they eliminating the Navigation App in favor of just using the standard Google Maps UI?

I'm using a AT&T Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.1 running Apex Launcher (although I can't imagine the launcher is to blame)
    I just notice that also on my AT & T S3. It just updated.

If you put in an address you will see a new navigation come up on the screen at the bottom, I hit start and it say " Google Maps Navigation is in beta. Use caution." And I can hit cancel or Accept to use it.

Yes same for me I'm on the HTC ONE and when updating Google Maps, it removed both apps (Google Maps and Navigation). I had to go to play store and intall google maps. It seems like it is intergrated into one app now.
    Thanked by:

If you go to settings and apps and select maps you can choose to uninstall updates. This will put back the navigation in your apps.
    Thanked by 19:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

ROM
    ics.......215 leak

Has anyone tried the now integrated navigation ? ..... is it at least comparable to the "old" navigation ? (As far as accuracy, speed getting a location lock, etc)

.... telekinectically tapped ....
    Feeding my android addiction ...... one phone at a time....

The navigation "app" was always integrated into Maps. The icon was just a separate entry point into that app.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

My Maps update came in last night and the Navigation icon is still there, but I'm on a Nexus. I'm not sure why it'd behave differently on an S3, but that's interesting.

Cool Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

The uninstall updates worked perfect, my phone is back to normal! Im Using a Samsung Nexus S with jellybean 4.1.2. This phone is the first to update to any new Android operating system.

Still Latitude will disappear August 9 and possible Navigation.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)

I am using a Motorolla Droid 4 and can't see where to uninstall updates. Does anyone have a tip?

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by mdlv View Post
    I am using a Motorolla Droid 4 and can't see where to uninstall updates. Does anyone have a tip?
    Settings > Apps > Installed Apps > (select the app) It's a box on that screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Additionally, if anyone hadn't heard there is a secondary update coming out as well that changes a couple things and adds back in a couple of features from the old app, such as offline maps.

Thanks for the help! This worked just as you said! I was lost last night with out my navigation!

Hello, I'm the developer of CarHome Ultra. Google has removed the clean navigation entry point from the new version of Google maps. Navigation itself is still there, but the clean UI that helps you find a destination is gone. If you would like to see this return, I would suggest that you use the feedback option in the Google Maps app and let Google know how you feel.

Thanks for the information guys! With no sense of direction, I was lost without Navigation!

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
    The uninstall updates worked perfect, my phone is back to normal! Im Using a Samsung Nexus S with jellybean 4.1.2. This phone is the first to update to any new Android operating system.
    Then I hope you've made a typo and you're on 4.2.2. BTW all Nexi are the first to get new OS. I'm on v7.0.1 which is the newest version to add back in a visible offline maps and a "where's lattitude" in the menu that wasn't there in the first big update to 7.0.0. I still have the separate navigation icon on my N4. Weird it's not on the SGS3. As someone mentioned navigation has ALWAYS been integrated with Maps just with a separate entry point. If you don't have the blue triagle icon anymore, it's in the search bar on Maps. Or just use Google Now voice command "navigate to".

Unhappy Re: Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Now that the Navigation icon is gone, how do I default the addresses that are in "Contact" to navigate to the address or launch Google Maps with the address?

Global Posts
    1,571 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Navigation is now apart of Google maps. If you select a destination, look at the bottom of the screen when it says navigate and you will recognize what comes up next.
    7cf26b0d
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

The new navigation is BUGGY......Bad update beta or not, crasshes all the time.....

Running nexus 4. I would LOVE to go back to prior version while they work this out.
    jeanbe#AC likes this.

The easiest way to use navigation, for me, is through Google Now. I just say "navigate to ....address...." and away I go. Even cleaner than the separate app icon. Occasionally it won't understand everything I say, and I just type the address into gNow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    Navigation is now apart of Google maps. If you select a destination, look at the bottom of the screen when it says navigate and you will recognize what comes up next.
    As previously stated, Navigation was ALWAYS part of Google maps.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

ROM
    ics.......215 leak

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The easiest way to use navigation, for me, is through Google Now. I just say "navigate to ....address...." and away I go. Even cleaner than the separate app icon. Occasionally it won't understand everything I say, and I just type the address into gNow.

- - - Updated - - -

As previously stated, Navigation was ALWAYS part of Google maps.
    Indeed it was/is part of Google maps .... now however, it is much less accurate and the UI is horrible..... I personally have uninstalled "new" Google maps and have gone back to "old" with (separate Nav icon)...... until it is improved....

... telekinectically tapping, tenaciously traversing the terrain...
    Feeding my android addiction ...... one phone at a time....
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

How do I get back the old maps and navigation?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Just sent my feedback--really, what were they thinking?

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

They should offer the beta until they get it right. I need this for my business!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by pine View Post
    Hello, I'm the developer of CarHome Ultra. Google has removed the clean navigation entry point from the new version of Google maps. Navigation itself is still there, but the clean UI that helps you find a destination is gone. If you would like to see this return, I would suggest that you use the feedback option in the Google Maps app and let Google know how you feel.
    Thanks for a great app.
    I use Car Home Ultra every time I get into my car.

Sent from my M470BSA
Page 1 of 19 1234 ... LastLast