How does S3 Cooling Work?

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Not sure exactly where to place this, it isn't per-say a question but more of an open discussion.

Obviously there are no fans or liquid cooling systems (that would require a pump and radiator) in our smartphones (I'm speaking in general, most modern smartphones do not have this with one exception being this rumor )

This leaves one last theory for removing heat from a small device, heatsinks. From my understanding, a heatsink is a type of material that is designed to disperse heat across its surface, so that it does not build up in one spot. In the US Galaxy S3 it has a Snapdragon Dual Core processor with a clock speed of 1.5 GHz which, while optimized to produce as little heat as possible, generates quite a lot of heat. Another source of heat is the battery, which as far as I can tell is not thermally connected very well.

A heatsink requires a technique called Thermal Coupling, where you connect the heat source directly to the sink with some sort of thermal isolating compound (this prevents the heat from going anywhere but into the sink), from this point the heat travels into the wide surface area (in the case of other phones I've taken apart, it is a square piece of aluminum on top of the processor), then it is dispersed into "arms" coming off the sink - this is why every surface of the phone feels hot and not just in one section.

With this information in mind, how do you think we can keep the device cool without adding additional components or modifying the phone at all? (ie. removing heat from the surface of the device)

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't think heat is a problem with this phone. The heatsinks they use have passive system not an active one. So just by using the phone around, it dissipate heat. However, if you live in an area with 40C +, then you may want to keep the unit away from sunlight and such. You don't need an active cooling system at all. Oh and the Samsung seems to have the heat sinks near the bottom half of the phone. If you use the phone for hours like I do, I can feel the heat on the screen a bit.

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Everytime I use my Galaxy S3, once I play games, browse online with cellular network, or using apps that are hardware intensive, it gets really hot after a while. Not sure how hot, but the hottest part is the bottom half of the phone (below the battery where the SIM card and the SD cards are placed, not even the battery gets hotter than that). I don't know if there's really a cooling system for the Galaxy S3, since it's very thin. I always thought about thermal pads would help cooling the phone, will it?

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. The cooling is just an aluminum heatsink. So when you do things like that it will get hot. I have thought of cooling "strips" made of graphite that I've seen online.

Maybe you should give them a try and let us know how well it works?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AC Forums mobile app

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. The cooling is just an aluminum heatsink. So when you do things like that it will get hot. I have thought of cooling "strips" made of graphite that I've seen online.

Maybe you should give them a try and let us know how well it works?

You are most probably right. It's virtually impossible to use fans to cool the S3, being so slim.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Is 35? F cool enough for you :p
:
:
Screenshot_2013-07-07-13-31-19_zps53494206.png

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow how did you get your phone so cold? 35F is just above the freezing point of ice

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Wow how did you get your phone so cold? 35F is just above the freezing point of ice

I was doing yard work listening to music. I noticed my phone was hot from sitting in the sun and playing music for hours; So I thought I would put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to cool it down, only I forgot about it and 20 minutes later it was at 35? :eek:

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I was doing yard work listening to music. I noticed my phone was hot from sitting in the sun and playing music for hours; So I thought I would put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to cool it down, only I forgot about it and 20 minutes later it was at 35? :eek:
OMG... are you serious? It is almost like fiction story.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of surprised you didn't hurt the screen, was the phone slow to respond?

I have to admit I did panic. I thought for sure my phone was "toast". My biggest concern was condensation, but luckily no damage to the phone at all. Needless to say I won't be doing that again any time soon :p

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah condensation would suck, I've had condensation under a screen once, it was really odd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax