Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default galaxy S4 messaging app

it's pretty much the same exact thing as the s3's but it has the contact photo pictures in your conversation list... which i like a lot. any way to do this on the stock messaging app for s3? any way to get an s4 user to send me their messaging app? I DO NOT want to get a third party messaging app.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: galaxy S4 messaging app

in your actual conversation is what i MEANT. sorry .. not just the conversation list.. the s3 has contact photos in the conversation list but not in the actual conversation.

I guess you should ask over in the S4 forums. I'm not sure if having someone just extract the app would work - I don't know if it relies on some system framework that's different between the phones or not; or if it has to be installed as a system app (requiring your phone to be rooted); guess you'll cross that bridge when you get to it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

i asked on the gs4 forums and got no responses

The Handcent app will do that.

This link has many S4 apps that are known to work on the S3, but I don't see the Messaging app there:

[Definative][7/12][Mods In Post 3!] Android Ported Apps Directory! - xda-developers
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I just really don't like third party messaging apps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Do I need to root to use most of these? I'm using the galaxy s4 font right now

Quote Originally Posted by thomasv23 View Post
    Then it appears you're out of luck, at least for now.

Do I need to root to use most of these? I'm using the galaxy s4 font right now
    For the S4 apps I linked to? No, I don't think so. You'll need to check the box in settings to allow apps to be installed from unknown sources, then copy the apk to your internal or external SD card, and use a file manager to find the apk. Click on the filename, and it should offer to install it.

When you're done, be sure to uncheck the unknown sources box.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

having trouble figuring this out

Having trouble figuring WHAT out? EXACTLY what are you trying to do, and where are you having a problem?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I can't find out how to use most of these files. For example the Android 4.2.2 messaging app

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 using the Android Central Forums app

I don't see the 4.2.2 messaging app anywhere on the link I posted. What file are you trying to install? Please post a link.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Unfortunately, that looks like it's a flashable zip file, and you'll need to be rooted to install that.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

That's what I thought. I like it. I really wish I could find the gs4 messaging app. Is it like a hard transfer or what. Seems like it wouldn't be all the other s4 works fine

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

It must have hooks into the OS that aren't supported on the S3. The GS4 is running Android 4.2.2, and it may rely on new functions that don't exist in 4.1.2.

That theme appears to be a flashable zip file, too, which means you'd need to root and use CWM or TWRP recovery to install it.

Why don't you like 3rd party messaging apps?

Global Posts
    31,628 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

The app itself may be tied to 4.2 which the S3 does not have yet.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

That sucks. Idk I feel as if I'm not getting a true texting experience and I may not recieve sent texts and vise versa. Can u suggest me any

The 3rd party text apps interface with the phone the same way the stock app does, and use the same messaging database. In fact, if you install a 3rd party app you'll find all your existing texts will be displayed in the new app as well as the old. And texts received while you're using the new app will show up in the stock app, too. So if you install a 3rd party app you'll want to turn off notifications in the stock app, or you'll get notified twice.

I use the Handcent app, and am very happy with it. There are a lot of theming options available, downloadable from the play store (mostly for free). Many people like GoSMS. I tried it, but Handcent seemed simpler and did everything I needed. They're both free, so try one and see, and if it seems lacking in some way try the other.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

what did you not like about the stock messaging app that made you want a third party messaging app?

When I first started using Handcent, the stock app wouldn't let you assign individual notification tones to individual contacts, which is why I switched. The stock messaging app in Android 4.1.2 now does offer that, so if I wasn't already using Handcent I might not switch today. But since Handcent provides a feature you want, and the stock app doesn't, that might be a good reason.

You really don't lose anything by trying another app. If you don't like it, you can uninstall it and be back to the stock app as if nothing had changed.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

i like how with stock you get the messaging bubble on your lockscreen when you have an unread
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I also don't like how most third-party apps have adds and bloat bull****. i know textra and handscent dont have ads but handscent looks very cheap and eh to me and textra is a little choppy for some reason on screen transitions. i like the stock messaging app i just wish i could get contact pictures in the conversation like in most messengers.. and in the s4 messenger. i kinda like GO SMS but my only issue with that is when you go into your actual conversation the keyboard overlaps the most recent messages of the conversation and i cant find a fix for that anywhere

........................................ there not messaging app omg dude