Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: My Samsung galaxy S3 won't turn on

Well, looks like I'm now in the same boat. Samsung GSIII. Won't turn on (I get as far as one quick vibration as it normally does when powering on, then the Samsung logo, then the Galaxy logo and it shuts down). Won't recognize the charger (Charging Red LED stays lit for about 4 seconds), won't recognize the battery. Won't boot to Download, won't boot to Recovery.

I've tried nearly all the suggestions in this post, any number of combinations of "Leave the battery out, plug it in, turn it on, leave the battery in, turn it on, plug in it, take the battery out" rinse and repeat. In you folks' humble opinion; Look like I'm boned?

i have a problem with my phone. the problem is when i turn on the phone you will see the flash samsung s3 etc. then it will stackup. And when i plug me phone to charging it will flash the battery then its stackup again. it is always repeating i dont know what to do, its is my only phone i have help me thanks if you what to see email me so i can send the video. last i want to get the photos in my phone how to get it ?? thank you agian

Quote Originally Posted by Triton Mars View Post
    Look like I'm boned?
    Yep, your phone is borked. Time to visit the local corporate store or contact Samsung for repair. Sorry.

Edit: BTW, it's strange that it partially boots but won't boot into Download mode. You're familiar with Download mode I take it?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by GSDer; 12-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Semhyun,
    Can you boot into Download mode? See post #65 for instructions (just do the part about entering Download mode).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Hi i have a galaxy s3, it just switched off and all that comes up is the samsung galaxay sign. few months ago i had got water into it. i sent it off through ee store, after 6 weeks they sent it back unfixed. someone i know fixed it and it worked for about 2 months and now it has happened again. How can i fix it? or what can i do? also if i cant fix it how can i get all my contacts and pictures etc off the phone? please help

I have this same issue. I bought this phone in July. I've dropped it a couple times, but I have an OtterBox on it. It worked fine last night at last break at work, an hour later, i'm trying to turn the screen on with the power button, nothing. I took the battery out and put it back in, nothing. I got out to my truck and plugged it in, and I get this screen My Samsung Galaxy S3 won't turn on-131215-084422.jpg It stays that way until I try to push and hold the power button, sometimes it will go blank and attempt start up, it passes the Samsung screen but then the Samsung Galaxy S3 logo appears for a brief second and then it goes back to that screen. I get the vibration upon starting and the returning to the screen shown. I have taken it to the verizon store and the battery was replaced for free last week. I plugged it into the usb on my computer and it doesn't recognize that there's a phone plugged in and that screen remains on until the phone times out, then the screen goes black with the red LED on. The last time this happened I left it on the charger for like 6 hours and then returned to it and it worked fine. It acts like the battery is too low to operate. However earlier it did allow me to get to the home screen and it showed 100% battery life.
    (Oddly enough, it wouldn't connect to my WiFi here at home either, and wouldn't turn on Bluetooth)

I attempted to do the Recovery Mode, but again it acts like it's not charged enough to get past the Samsung Galaxy S3 screen to use it or Download mode

Quote Originally Posted by stevencrowtown View Post
    the screen goes black with the red LED on...It acts like the battery is too low to operate.
    I'd say that you're on to something here - the red LED is usually a sign that the battery doesn't have a sufficient charge.

Since they gave you a new (?) battery at the Verizon store, it's unlikely that it's the problem. More likely there's a problem with the charging circuit in the phone, or perhaps with the micro-USB port, or even your charger and cable. Have you tried a different charger AND cable?

You could purchase an external battery charger, fully charge the battery there and then see if the phone boots normally. If it does then either the micro-USB port is bad or the charging circuit in the phone is bad.

If you think it might be the micro-USB port (because perhaps the cables all wiggle too much, or the phone only seems to charge if the cable is held at a certain angle), you could go with a wireless charging solution - that bypasses the micro-USB port altogether.

Edit: welcome to the forums!

thanks! When I first got home, it allowed my to get all the way to my home screen, i saw that my wifi was turned off, which i thought was weird, but by trying to turn it on, the phone shut off, the wifi ON button wouldn't even switch from off to on, just grayed out. it would flicker like it was available, but then revert back to gray and unusable. The battery read 100% at that time.this charger was replaced about 2-3 weeks ago btw. i had the battery out for over an hour, put it back in, and without being plugged in, tried to turn it on, but ti didnt work. plugged it in, and it continues to do the problem im having.

OK, Czech this out, I took my sim card and SD card out of the phone and tried to start it, and guess what? IT FREAKING CAME ON!!! It obviously wont function without the SIM card, and it prompted me to turn off the phone and reinstall the SIM, but after doing that, it started right back up like it was new.SO EVERYONE GIVE THAT A SHOT. We'll see if it gives me any issues.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Hi, I have the same problem... If I put my s3 into downloading mode, I'll lose all of my data informations?

Quote Originally Posted by ariados View Post
    If I put my s3 into downloading mode, I'll lose all of my data informations?
    Putting your S3 into Download mode doesn't cause any data loss. If you load firmware via Odin or Kies, THAT may cause you to lose your information - it totally depends on what you're loading.

If you use Kies to reload the same firmware then you MAY lose your information - sorry, can't be more specific than that.

If you use Odin to dirty flash firmware then it depends on the firmware that you're flashing. If you're clean flashing then you will lose data.

it will depends from destiny if i will lose all of my informations? (I'll use kies)

hey, im havin alot of troubles with my phone atm, well basiclly i downloaded the last update like it prompted me too then it said needs to reboot to compleate update or something like that, rebooted the device and then it just stays on the first splash screen. when the device is compleatly off and on charge its only comes up as the grey empty battery screen aswell,.
    i have taken the battery out done all that stuff you would intilly think to do, then i read on a few stuff like going to recovery mode and clearing cach, restor to factory settings and that, and still only loads to first splash screen. then i also read about kies so i downloaded kies and went on to download mode on my phone, but when i plug my phone in my computer says its ready to use and that, but kies cant find the device and went onto my computer and its not showing up on there either, so with out my device regasering for kies i have no idea what else i can do, is there anylinks to download the nessery firmwear/files to my SD card and then go on recoery mode and boot it via SD card maybe? please help if possible, i dont really want to send it off for repair as thats more than likly going to cost.
    Many thanks
    Simon.
    P.S sorry for the essay thought the more information the better for you guys to help.

Quote Originally Posted by simonlmc View Post
    i downloaded the last update like it prompted me too then it said needs to reboot to compleate update or something like that, rebooted the device and then it just stays on the first splash screen
    Arrgh! This is happening to more and more people. You can take a look at Samsung Galaxy S3 frozen on start screen... HELP PLEASE!
    to see if there's anything you haven't tried. Pulling the SIM card and SD card may help.

I haven't seen a source for the update.zip file(s) that the carriers use, so there's nothing to put on the SD card to load in Recovery mode - sorry.

I was installing the software for it to update so I left it for almost an hour, when I came back it was starting apps, I went for a shower and when I came out it was still starting apps. It had never taken this long so I took the battery out and switched it on again, it wouldn't go on. Before the phone goes on (as I'm sure you know) the word samsung flashes in blue....it's been doing that non stop for almost 2 hours. I tried taking out the battery again, I've tried the power button menu button and volume button thing and tried rebooting that didn't work so put it back to factory settings that didn't work and I've done the cache thing to reboot and nothing has worked help

hi there, I wasa just wondering if anything worked I have the same problem at the moment

I'm having a similar problem,
    My Samsung galaxy Xcover 2 boots (i think) with the 3 colour dots all over the screen.
    I'm unable to get into recovery nor download mode, plugging in the pc doesn't show it in the list of devices,
    I'm worried i hard bricked my device.
    Please help, and sorry bringing up this old thread.

My galaxy s3 won't turn on past the Samsung screen. I tired pressing the volume up, home and power buttons at the same time and all I get is the Samsung screen and it turns black again. When I hold the volume down, home and power buttons, I am directed to some that says press up to continue or down to cancel, I then press up and then the screen once again goes black... Can someone tell what is wrong with my phone!?

Too many people having the same problem to reply to individually...

If your phone is:
    1. Still on 4.1.2 AND
    2. You can boot into Download (aka Odin) mode AND
    3. Your computer recognizes your phone when it's connected via USB

then you can try reloading the stock firmware using a tool called Odin on your Windows-based PC.

a. Go to and put your model number (ex. SCH-i535) in the search box. If it shows a 4.1.2 firmware for your phone then go ahead and download it (you'll have to register with them - it's free). NOTE: If your model is used by different carriers, be sure to download the correct firmware for your carrier (ex. VOD = Vodafone). DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT CARRIER ON YOUR PHONE, AND DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT MODEL ON YOUR PHONE! It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it. The extracted file usually has an md5 extension.
    b. Download Odin v3.07 from the Internet ( a reliable source from XDA). It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it.
    c. Put your phone into Download mode
    d. Start the Odin application
    e. Connect the phone to the computer; the PC should give the usual beep, and Odin should show a light-blue box in the upper-left with the word COM in it (this means that Odin sees the phone).
    f. In the Odin app, select the 'PDA' button, and in the navigation dialog that comes up find the firmware md5 file that you extracted earlier and select it
    g. Wait a minute or two while Odin verifies the file that you selected. Once it has, you'll see the path/filename in the box next to the 'PDA' button
    h. Select the 'Start' button and wait about 11 minutes while Odin reloads the firmware on your phone. In the window on the lower left you'll see 'stuff' happening, and you'll also see a progress bar in the upper left.
    i. Odin will restart the phone when the process is complete

Hopefully your phone is now booting normally (and hopefully your data is still intact). YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Too many people having the same problem to reply to individually...

If your phone is:
    1. Still on 4.1.2 AND
    2. You can boot into Download (aka Odin) mode AND
    3. Your computer recognizes your phone when it's connected via USB

then you can try reloading the stock firmware using a tool called Odin on your Windows-based PC.

a. Go to and put your model number (ex. SCH-i535) in the search box. If it shows a 4.1.2 firmware for your phone then go ahead and download it (you'll have to register with them - it's free). NOTE: If your model is used by different carriers, be sure to download the correct firmware for your carrier (ex. VOD = Vodafone). DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT CARRIER ON YOUR PHONE, AND DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT MODEL ON YOUR PHONE! It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it. The extracted file usually has an md5 extension.
    b. Download Odin v3.07 from the Internet ( a reliable source from XDA). It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it.
    c. Put your phone into Download mode
    d. Start the Odin application
    e. Connect the phone to the computer; the PC should give the usual beep, and Odin should show a light-blue box in the upper-left with the word COM in it (this means that Odin sees the phone).
    f. In the Odin app, select the 'PDA' button, and in the navigation dialog that comes up find the firmware md5 file that you extracted earlier and select it
    g. Wait a minute or two while Odin verifies the file that you selected. Once it has, you'll see the path/filename in the box next to the 'PDA' button
    h. Select the 'Start' button and wait about 11 minutes while Odin reloads the firmware on your phone. In the window on the lower left you'll see 'stuff' happening, and you'll also see a progress bar in the upper left.
    i. Odin will restart the phone when the process is complete

Hopefully your phone is now booting normally (and hopefully your data is still intact). YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey GSDer.... I'll post here in case others have the same problem..... followed all instructions - after 18 mins or so, Odin software on pc states "Reset" in upper left, original S3 stuck on stupid swirlies (colorful circles in repetitive cycle, 4GLTE in the center).

In the meantime, Verizon popup "Galaxy S(R) III (SCH-I535)" Text reads: Software is available that will help your Galaxy S(R) III (SCH-I535) communicate with your PC. Install now?

Original S3 still stuck on stupid swirlies.

Do I install the Verizon software?

Do I disconnect and try to restart?

Do I find that train and skip the S3 down the tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by pawsaddiction View Post
    Hey GSDer.... I'll post here in case others have the same problem..... followed all instructions - after 18 mins or so, Odin software on pc states "Reset" in upper left, original S3 stuck on stupid swirlies (colorful circles in repetitive cycle, 4GLTE in the center).

In the meantime, Verizon popup "Galaxy S(R) III (SCH-I535)" Text reads: Software is available that will help your Galaxy S(R) III (SCH-I535) communicate with your PC. Install now?

Original S3 still stuck on stupid swirlies.

Do I install the Verizon software?

Do I disconnect and try to restart?

Do I find that train and skip the S3 down the tracks?
    Correction: Odin software reads "Passed!" in first box in upper left (box is green). Still stuck on stupid....

I am not able to copy the text in Odin's Message window but the last line reads: <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

Installed Verizon software (backup asst), installed successfully. SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device also installed successfully, along with SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem.... then "problem happened when installing new hardware...."

Shutdown Odin, disconnected phone, pulled battery, let sit for 10 mins, put battery back in, tried to boot into Safe Mode, not able to - stuck on stupid swirlies for 7 mins....

Pulled battery, let sit for 10 mins, put battery back in, booted into Recovery Mode, wiped cache, tried to boot from there - stuck on stupid swirlies for 5 mins....

Pulled battery.... it is now 11:48am PST. I'm glad I'm not a drinker.

(no SIM card or SD card in phone at all today)

Was loading the stock firmware the 2nd option from meyerweb? Did you ever rcv the file for the 1st option? Am I confused?

I am passed the point of disappointed in the Galaxy S3. Verizon can take this POS, along with their refurbed POS, and shove them both up their fu!@#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$#@$%^T&)_

pawsaddiction,
    Sorry that didn't work out. There are only two other options that I can think of:
    1. Try loading the 4.3 update on the original phone from Recovery mode (I have that file now)
    2. Contact a JTAG repair service (ex. ) to see if they think they can recover the phone without destroying the data.

I have nothing else to offer for the recovery of the original phone.

Thanked by:

K, I'll try option 1. I was wondering if maybe the update would do the trick. Can you pm me the link? I'll try it immediately - few mins - before leaving work. Thank you!!

Sooooo this just happened to me today and I'm supper pissed and totally bummed.

I have a Verizon Galaxy S3
    I woke up this morning and was reading some texts and checking facebook, closed my eyes for a few mins woke back up looked at my phone clicked the power button to wake it up and nothing happened.
    Held down the power button, nothing.
    Removed the battery replaced it tried to power it on and nothing happened.
    I tried Power/Volume Up/Home buttons simultaneously and nothing happened.
    Took battery out plugged it into charger and the Red LED light came on, inserted battery. still nothing.
    When i plug it into my computer it says QHSUSB_DLOAD..From what I have googled it looks like that is something happens when you root your phone and it becomes bricked?
    the thing is that I have never tried rooting my phone before so I dunno what to do now. nothing turns on, no boot screen, nothing.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast