My Samsung Galaxy S3 won't turn on

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Samsung galaxy S3 won't turn on

I managed to get it into download mode for about 2 seconds
Why only two seconds? Did the phone shutdown by itself? Or restart itself?

If you can get it to stay in Download mode you can try reloading the firmware using the Kies software on your PC.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Payton Wheeler

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Why only two seconds? Did the phone shutdown by itself? Or restart itself?

If you can get it to stay in Download mode you can try reloading the firmware using the Kies software on your PC.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

It was there for about 2 seconds before shutting off again. Since the Cache wipe I can't get it to do anything, so that means i'm SOL getting it to getting it to stay in Download mode so I can run Kies

-EDIT-

Once again, my phone decided to try to turn on by itself, but this time it turned on completely. I'm not trusting that it will work perfectly, though.

Last edited:

ali0320

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

GSDer;30pull the battery said:
When the phone is off and you plug the charger in, you don't see the little battery graphic which shows that the phone is charging?

If not, try this - pull the battery, then plug the charger in, then put the battery back in. Now do you see the battery graphic?

If neither of those cause the phone to show the charging graphic, try a different charger AND cable. If that doesn't make any difference then a visit to your local carrier store is in order.

Hi I tried the "pull the battery out , then plug the charger in then put battery back in" the red light came on like it was charging so I put the battery back in and the light stayed on for about two mins with the battery then the light went away :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Guess it's time for a visit to the local carrier store.
Or contact Samsung directly.

ali0320

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
So I went to the AT&T device support center where they said theyd be able to do all they can. Well, all they did was same thing I did. Switch the battery and switch the charger cord. The guy did those two things and said "yeah, you need to go through insurance" he didnt even open up the phone or anything. When I had mentioned that it wouldnt even reboot when I tried pressing the 3 buttons thats apparently when he got the same idea & tried that. When I asked what he thought was wrong I said "so did it just die or what happened?" He said "uhhh yeah it did. Maybe it fried" honestly how'd he know if he didnt check. He was about as useless as an Apple Genius. Smh.

Jacob,
With the phone completely off and the charger plugged in, do you get a battery graphic showing the current charge level?
You'll want to be sure the battery is at least 50% before fiddling around with firmware loading.

I'd suggest trying to boot the phone in Download mode - if that works, you can use Odin to try to reload the firmware of your choice or the Kies software to reload the stock firmware.

Guess it's time for a visit to the local carrier store.
Or contact Samsung directly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christina CorisuCat

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Natallya,
If you tried Recovery mode unsuccessfully then it's time to reload the firmware on your phone.
You can use the Kies software on your PC to do that. If you need help just let us know.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Trying to update firmware using Kies on PC, but since phone won't even turn on, Kies can't find the phone. (Already tried Recovery mode, and it only vibrates, shows Samsung logo, then turns off. ) Please help??

Thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Christina,
In order to be able to use the Kies software to reload the firmware, the phone has to at least be able to boot into Download mode (with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen).

If you can't get the phone to boot into Download mode there's nothing we can do to help you. You can search for 'JTAG services' and see if you can find someone that offers that - otherwise it's time for Samsung repair or insurance replacement.

Jermaine Watson

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I have done everything, when i plug my phone in without the battery, the red Notification light comes on for about one and a half minutes, then goes off (The screen never comes on or anything). When i plug in my phone with the battery in the phone nothing happens at all.. my screen stays blank and everything!

Regardless of whether or not the phone is plugged in or not, with or without the battery, when i hold the power button, the phone doesn't vibrate, nor does the screen light up. (this is the same when i simultaneously hold the Home, Power, and Volume Up keys)

My phone has started this weird habit of randomly restarting in the past few months when i go to open or run an application, but this time it just went blank and will not turn back on.

Before this happened today i was on Kik (A messenger app) and i had just clicked to save a picture my friend sent me...... and BLAM!!! The screen just went blank, and hasn't come back on ._.

can someone please tell me what happened, why it happened, and/ or what i have to do to get my phone to work again?

Thanks For Your Time!:) pleaseeee help meeee:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[

Tom Zarowski

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Picture 8.jpg
I've done as people have said in this thread before, and this is the result when i try to enter recovery mode. Is there anything else i can do, or is it completely knackered?
Thanks
Tom

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Knackered sounds like an appropriate description.
What happens if you try to boot into Download mode?
What led to this mess?

Biggs94

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung galaxy S3 won't turn on

Good afternoon,

I have a similar problem. Yesterday, as I tried to see something on my phone, the screen just wouldn't turn on. The phone will actually turn on but nothing is displayed. I have received phone calls while in the car, the phone succesfully connects with bluetooth however, still no screen.

I have tried removing the battery for a few minutes, putting it back in and charging the phone while turned off but still no luck. I also tried booting using the other methods mentionned earlier (Volume Up+Home+Power) but no luck.

I can see the blinking light from receiving a text message and I can see the "Back" and other button next to the Home button light up when I try to interact with the phone. I can also feel the phone vibrate when I turn it on.

Is there anything I can do? Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

FatKat Pat

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Last weekend my gs3 died and Samsung won't cover it. I've had the phone for about a year. Don't have carrier insurance. I unplugged the phone from the charger and the screen lit up like normal. I pressed the power button to turn the screen off. The turn off/restart menu popped and the phone froze. So I pulled the battery for a few mins and then when I put the battery back in the phone vibrates and the first splash screen lights up for maybe two seconds and the phone turns off. Tried this a few times and then took it to T-Mobile. T-Mobile said they couldn't help me out and to contact Samsung. I contacted Samsung where they said they would cover it no problem and they will email me a label for UPS to take it to Plano, TX. I shipped it out Monday and Friday they sent it back without repairing it. The tab that feeds power from the battery to the phone lifted and they don't cover internal or external repairs on their products. I was informed it is past economical repair for them. I have never dropped the phone or done anything to compromise it at all. Bought it and put it in a Otter box day one. The phone looks brand new but has the internal problem. Is there a repair place that can repair what Samsung won't? Should I just throw it on ebay and wait on the Nexus 5? I will never buy another Samsung product after hearing four of their service reps tell me they don't cover internal or external repairs and couldn't give me a answer of what they cover. If I can repair it to keep as a back up or sell for more than parts I'm willing to go that route.

karl murphy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
after speaking to somebody i put my phone in my pocket and looked at it 30 mins later and the screen was black. i've tried charging it? i'ver taken battery out and put back? i dont see any charging icon? i see nothin at all!!! is my phone dead??

i cant even get a flicker off my s3? it went black on me this morning and hasnt come back on since? was working fine (i had just finished a call) next time iue indicator light. t to do anything and hasnt worked after that??

Quentin Scholl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys. Seems like this is a pretty common problem. I've experienced much of the same issues you all have had. I have a stock Verizon S3, no custom ROMS, no physical damage.

Background:
Phone recently began to act sluggish. Would randomly shutoff,even on charger or loading an app. When restarting phone, could not get past 4G LTE spalsh screen. Got it to work for a day after reading up on a few tricks, but now does not even turn on.

I'v Tried:
Battery Tricks - I've tested the battery and it is good. Took it out and works fine in my wife's S3. Previously to complete failure, taking the battery out and putting it back in did work, but it would get stuck at the colorful Verizon 4G LTE splash screen. I managed to get past it using Recovery mode, but still had same problems. I've left the battery out for a whole day, put it back in on the charger and still nothing. Even when plugged into the charger, the LED doesn't light up.

Recovery Mode - Prior to complete failure of the battery trick, I did managed to get into recovery mode. I cleared cache, still got stuck at 4G LTE splash screen. Did a factory reset and did manage to get past the splash screen and into the phone. However, during the auto recovery process, it shut off while dl'ing some apps and will not even power on how. When connected to a charger, the LED doesn't even light up. Also tried to plug into my PC and it is not being recognized by it.

Smash Method - This is apparently a real thing. Click here for reference. Judging by the comments, it helped a lot of people. A possible culprit is the power button. I tried several times giving it a hard smack, but did not work for me. Maybe I'm not giving it a good enough smack, but too afraid to damage phone anymore than it is (think cracked screen!).

Going to Try
3rd Party Online Repair - This is my last ditch effort. I found this guy who offers through eBay to fix the power button or the boot loader. Apparently, a messed up boot loader will also completely brick your phone. I don't know which issue is causing my phone to be a paper weight but I'm going to send it in an give it a try. $25-$30 seems to be a reasonable amount of money to spend prior to me purchasing a brand new phone. Even though I have a credit to upgrade through Verizon, I do not want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan. I'll be sure to follow up in this thread with the results. Wish me luck!

kcad01

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Last week, my GS3 shut itself off. When I tried to turn it back on, I would feel the start vibration, get the Samsung splash screen, then the Galaxy SIII splash screen, then the phone would turn itself off. It would not charge with ANY charger from ANY USB port or ANY wall outlet. I traded batteries with a coworker who also has an SIII and the phone still would not turn on. It would not boot into recovery mode or download mode. It would not connect to Kies. Finally, I took it to the Sprint store, without any hope of a fix. I had cracked my digitizer twice previously (paid Samsung to fix/replace) and have never paid for insurance, so I expected to be told that there was nothing they could do. However, the tech tried everything I tried and was unsuccessful. He opened it up and found no damage, no sign of water, no sign of a drop. He said the problem must be in "the board" and gave me a brand new SIII - no charge. If all else fails, try the store. I may have been extremely lucky, maybe you will be too.

ashleybrookevv

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I pulled my Galaxy S3 out of my pocket and it was turned off. I tried to turn it on, and it started with the "Samsung" screen like it was going to turn on, but then it turned back off. It has been doing this for the past 8 hours. I've taken out the battery for several hours, charged it, and everything. I even tried the Recovery mode thing, but it goes to the "Samsung" screen and then turns off. I don't know what to do. HELP.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

If you can't get into Recovery mode then your only option is to try booting into Download mode. If that works then you can try reloading the operating system by using the Kies software on your PC.

If you're not comfortable with the above then your best bet is to take it to the local carrier store and see if they can recover it for you or replace it.

If you want to try Download mode - with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen. If it's successful you'll be left at a 'downloading' screen, where the phone simply waits for a download to begin. Just remove the battery to turn it off.

If Download mode was successful and you want to try reloading the firmware yourself, here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Shahid Hashmi1

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Hi All,

I've read through these messages and I have a similar issue but never exactly the same. I'll try and add as much information as I can.

I was watching a downloaded movie, finished it and locked my phone. About 10 minutes later the white LED light on, I went to check it to see what the notification was, I clicked on the lock/power button to unlock the phone but the screen stayed blank, however the white LED light stayed on. I then pressed the home button, but the same thing happen, the screen stayed blank.

I then removed the battery and re inserted it and then attempted to turn it back on, however the phone wouldnt turn on. I then plugged in the charger, however the phone wouldnt turn on, no splash screen, no red LED light. It has stayed like this every since.

I have tried to removing the battery.. leaving it for half hour and then re attaching it and charging it for a few hours, however this hasnt fixed anything. Still no red LED charging light let alone any splash screen.

I have already tried to launch the phone in both recovery and download mode, both times nothing has happened.

I have already tried to turn the phone on with the phone attached to the wall charger with NO battery in the phone, yet no luck.

It sounds like my phone is screwed, but does anyone have any other ideas?