Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 Water Damage Help

I woke up to find my cat had tipped over some water on my nightstand. Some the water seeped into my phone. The phone worked fine, I took the back off and saw some water so I dryed it. When I put the battery back in it said "no sim card" so I removed the card and put it back in and everything seemed fine. Then the next day I went to plug in my charger and it would not show that it was charging so I removed the battery and re-started it. It turned on but no said no sim card again and would not take a charge. I went to the Verizon store and they said it was water damage and wouldnt do anything for me. Phone works fine just wont recognize the sim card or charge. I can connect through wifi and do anything else. Suggestions Please!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Water Damage Help

I wish people would sign on and read forums like this to learn about their phones before something goes wrong. Then they'd know the absolutely worst thing to do with a wet phone is to try to use it before it's dried out.

The only thing you can do, at this point, is to take out the battery and SIM card, stick the phone, battery and SIM in sealed container of dry (uncooked) rice, and leave it there for several days. Hope that if it dries out enough it will work again.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    unlmtdRW likes this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7&9

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The only thing you can do, at this point, is to take out the battery and SIM card, stick the phone, battery and SIM in sealed container of dry (uncooked) rice, and leave it there for several days. Hope that if it dries out enough it will work again.
    EMPHASIS - ##for several days##! Don't keep pulling it out to check if it works yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

I wonder if you can help me with my samsung galaxy s3. I dropped it into water and it took me about a minute to get my phone out of water. I opened it ,got the battery and sim- card out. They were dry . Anyway I left them all to air . About 3 hours later I turned the phone on and it worked well. The only problem is sensor buttons at the bottom. There is no sign of their existence. Can anything be done to make them appear and work again? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Galina Lihhatsova View Post
    I wonder if you can help me with my samsung galaxy s3. I dropped it into water and it took me about a minute to get my phone out of water. I opened it ,got the battery and sim- card out. They were dry . Anyway I left them all to air . About 3 hours later I turned the phone on and it worked well. The only problem is sensor buttons at the bottom. There is no sign of their existence. Can anything be done to make them appear and work again? Thank you in advance.
    Normally, you should leave the phone off in rice for a full 24 hours. 3 hours just on air might not be enough

I have a similar question, can a samsung phone still work if the water damage indicator is like 30% pink?
    I dropped my samsung phone in water for about 10 seconds got it out dried it off its still in rice, wish I had known not to turn it on immediately!! hopefully did n't fry it, so I know the proper way to dry it but I'm really hoping since the water damage indicator isn't fully pink it can still work. The indicator is on the battery, is it possible to just replace the battery??

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith5614 View Post
    The indicator is on the battery, is it possible to just replace the battery?
    The indicator is just there to provide the manufacturer/repair facility an easy way to determine if the phone has gotten wet.

And the battery is sealed, so in general that's the least of your worries.

You want to be sure that you take the back off the phone, remove the battery and shake off any loose water. Then immerse the phone and battery in rice in a sealed container and leave it there for a couple of days (longer is better).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by csmith5614 View Post
    I have a similar question, can a samsung phone still work if the water damage indicator is like 30% pink?
    I dropped my samsung phone in water for about 10 seconds got it out dried it off its still in rice, wish I had known not to turn it on immediately!! hopefully did n't fry it, so I know the proper way to dry it but I'm really hoping since the water damage indicator isn't fully pink it can still work. The indicator is on the battery, is it possible to just replace the battery??
    The only way to really know for sure is to put the battery back in and try it. Water damage is a funny thing. Sometimes what seems a very minor amount of water can kill a phone, and sometimes a phone that gets totally soaked will eventually recover. 10 seconds isn't very long, so I'd say the odds that it will recover is pretty good, but only time will tell.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The only way to really know for sure is to put the battery back in and try it. Water damage is a funny thing. Sometimes what seems a very minor amount of water can kill a phone, and sometimes a phone that gets totally soaked will eventually recover. 10 seconds isn't very long, so I'd say the odds that it will recover is pretty good, but only time will tell.
    Thanks for the help, after a day of drying in rice I put the battery back in and the screen and everything works but it says no service any idea on what I can do??

hey thanks so I put the battery back after it had been in rice for a day the screen and everything works but it says no service do ou know if theres anything I can do??

We all need to know,,,,an answer...please somebody address the question...(everything works fine on mine too, no signs (other than indicator) after complete submersion in dirty pool for over 45 min! After rice treatment, etc..my galaxy started rigth up,everything including camera pic looked great (sound, RAM, everything) but the sim not responsive, and two bottom lit up buttons (back and home?) touchscreen buttons no lit up with NO SIM. Please somebody answer Question as we need to know!!! EVERTHING WORKS BUT PHONE APP! sincerely!

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by talonkinkade View Post
    Please somebody answer Question
    Unfortunately it's not always possible to provide an answer - there's no way to know what got damaged.

Have you tried obtaining a new SIM?

If that doesn't work then replacing the SIM tray http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...d-tray-repair/ may work.

If that doesn't work then there's something wrong with the mainboard.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

After a week, my GS3 works great, even camara. Sim card reads fine, but the 2 lit buttons on bottom do not work still. I have PIE and swipe pad apps so I get around not having them, but curious if anyone found a fix. I LOVE THIS THING!!! Underwater for 45 min and the only inconvenience is the stupid bottom touch screen buttons. Any suggestions???

What I would do is to put the sim card in an S4 or 5. I realize that is not not always an option for many people, but my phone is old enough to make it a choice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE