My Samsung S3 wont charge

fonausa

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had the S3 since September and it hasnt givin me much trouble (except for the batt life) For the past few months 2/3, the phone would not charge unless I had it at an angle, against books, standing up, everyway possible! Then the charger gave out, or so I thought! I then could only charge it via the USP connected to my laptop, that eventually gave out too. Two chargers later and it will not charge at all. The same thing happened to my S1 before I upgraded. The phone itself is fine (except for the fact it wont make any outgoing calls) I went into Vodafone yesterday and as usual they were minus help. I even bought a new charger and nothing will work.

Has anybody has a similar experience? If so what happened?

Please help.

Fiona. :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, it seems like the micro-USB port has gotten worn out. That certainly doesn't seem typical though. It might be time to send that phone off to Gazelle for trade-in and getz a replacement. Another option is try something like a Mophie case and see if that can charge it (buy it retail so you can return it quickly if if doesn'lt work). Lastly, if you're really adventurous you could try replacing the micro-USB port (iFix-It style).

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm assuming that since you tried multiple chargers you've also used different USB cables, but if not try that. Bad USB cables are probably the number 1 cause of charging problems.

And while it's not likely the battery, that's always possible. Go back to Vodaphone and see if they have any used S3 batteries lying around they'll give you, or at least let you try in the store.

What you describe does sound a lot like the USB port. If the phone is still under warranty, you can see if Samsung will repair it. Otherwise, you could buy an spare battery and external charger, and keep one charging while the other is in the phone. Another option would be a wireless charging back and charging pad.

Jamie Gotheridge

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I had this same problem and have been looking for ages online for a solution!
Turns out I found it myself :eek:
The problem is inside the phone where the micro USB connects. There will be a thing piece of metal inside, thats the problem because mine was bent..
I got a pen lid and wedged it under (phone facing up) and moved it up bit by bit now it charges fine!

rjmghome

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
A pen lid worked for mine, albeit that it's not exactly subtle or easily reversible so try everything else first - it was a bent usb connector that had collected muck as far as I can tell.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Reesa08,
You'll want to take the back off so that you can take the battery out before you start fiddling with anything.

Yes, it's possible that you could damage the phone - you need to be very careful. Perhaps you should have a friend who works with electronics try this?

Or tell us what is happening - maybe it's not your micro-USB port that is the problem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Amber Lu-lu

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, i have had the same problems. What should i do? Do you think it's my phone, or charger. I have switch chargers, and even plug it up to my computer. I just need some type of help.
:':):)-\

Amy Owensby

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
My S3 will not charge directly from the USB to the port. But when I put on the case with an external battery, it will charge from that. This phone is just now 6 months old. When I forget got it, I was skeptical since it never would hold a charge long enough to last all day. When plugged in directly, the red light comes on, the battery gets the lightening bolt, and when the screen times out it shows the battery as if it is charging, but I will not increase the battery.

Any ideas?

Dolphinryder

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
My S3 will not charge directly from the USB to the port. But when I put on the case with an external battery, it will charge from that. This phone is just now 6 months old. When I forget got it, I was skeptical since it never would hold a charge long enough to last all day. When plugged in directly, the red light comes on, the battery gets the lightening bolt, and when the screen times out it shows the battery as if it is charging, but I will not increase the battery.

Any ideas?

Honestly mines doing the same thing its plugged in now it says its charging but no charge increase I used multiple different chargers and still the same I only had mine since september.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Amy,
What happens if you turn the phone completely off, then connect the original charger and cable that came with the phone?

You should see a charging graphic, and the phone should take no more than 2 1/2 hours to reach full charge.

If you're just using the USB cable and connecting it to a computer, and the phone is completely off, it would take about 4 1/2 hours to fully charge.

If you have the phone turned on and it's hooked up to a computer, it's hard to tell how long it'll take - it depends on what you're doing on the phone. Same goes for if it's turned on and connected to the charger and cable (it'll just take 1/2 as much time as it would connected to a PC).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry, but that thread's first two posts -- by that thread's starter (aka, its "original poster" or "OP") -- are just ridiculously wrong and misleading.

I have, however, added a third post to that thread which sets straight the record; and provides any Samsung Galaxy famly phone user -- particularly a Note II user -- with pretty much everything s/he needs to know about this subject.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine will only charge in my car adaptor.... any ideas?
Yes - if the car charger works then your regular wall chargers-and-or-cables are borked.

Lisa Thompson1

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
You seem to be having the same issue as myself...
I plugged my charger in it says Charging and the percentage beside it but the percentage never goes up.
This must be something wrong with either the battery or the connection getting the power to the battery. Going to Vodafone tomorrow to sort it out...
But clearly after reading this its not a sole issue with my phone - anyone know if any batches have been reported for errors?
Need my phone :(

CMarie1987

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem i am on phone 2 because of this issue and again today it happens again...i will be goin back to sprint to complan AGAIN i almost want to switch phone fropm a galaxy... i have talk to 3 oother people who tend to have the same problem with their galaxys ...this is a problem...I believe the galaxy s3 needs to be remade or something this is rediculas we shouldnt have to go threw a million phones for them to work....

Kavi Arasu

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
yes, mine giving the same problem. Left to charge for hours but only rise up to 2%. Make me irritating

- - - Updated - - -

for me, the original Samsung charger itself cannot be used.

mommysangels02

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung glax s three and it won't charge n it's got as far as 32 percent and won't go any further and it's been charging all day and still loosing battery life what could be wrong with and it's been off for a bout a month could it be the charger too cause it's not connecting good please help I am need answer it's fustrating thanks

Posted via Android Central App