I get the message "Unfortunately, Gallery has stopped" all the time

Arnstein

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I have android 4.1.2 and Samsung Galaxy S3. Is there a way to format and re-install? Maybe this will fix it? Any other fix?
Also, isn't there a newer version available? When I go to system update, it says that I already have the latest software, but I can see some people using 4.2.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
4.2 has not officially been released for the S3. There's a test version for the international (i9300) version of the phone ONLY. Other people have rooted and are running custom ROMs based on plain vanilla 4.2.2.

For your force closing issue, first try clearing the app's cache. Go to Settings / Application manager, and scroll right to the "All" tab. Scroll down to Gallery. Tap, then tap the Clear cache button, then the force stop button. Now exit Settings and re-open the app.

If that doesn't solve it, do the same thing, but this time "Clear data" instead of cache. This will eliminate all the thumbnails in the gallery, and the phone will have to rescan storage to rebuild the thumbnails. You can force this, I think, by rebooting the phone, or by using this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...istarapps.tools.galleryrefresh&token=KOvEpt9B

If that doesn't fix it, you may have a corrupted media file that's causing the app to crash. The only way I know to find that would be to copy all your media files to a computer, and delete them from the phone. If that solves the issue, then try copying back just a small number of files at a time. When the app starts crashing again, you'll know the bad file was in that last batch.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have android 4.1.2 and Samsung Galaxy S3. Is there a way to format and re-install? Maybe this will fix it? Any other fix?
Also, isn't there a newer version available? When I go to system update, it says that I already have the latest software, but I can see some people using 4.2.

Welcome to the forums!
People are using 4.2 because they rooted and flashed a custom ROM on their device. Officially, there is no 4.2 OS except for some international variants.

But to answer your other question: To clear up your error have you rebooted into recovery and cleared the phone's cache? If you don't know how here are instructions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

dango333

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your advice, it solved the problem! I found that there was a corrupted file/image in the gallery and deleted it. Now its working fine. Again, Thank you!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Kewal,
Did you follow the suggestions in post #2? That's a great starting point.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mohd,
Have you followed the suggestions in post #2?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Renee Garcia

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
OK I did all the steps until of the last one to see if its a corrupt file.. i did the clear data.. but now i can even find the option to find the hidden files on the gallery... so now what do i do?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
i can even find the option to find the hidden files on the gallery
I'm not sure what option to find hidden files you're referring to - how about starting at the beginning - what problem are you having?
Is the Gallery app crashing?
Or isn't the Gallery showing any of your pictures?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
cant solve it.i think.must delete all the file.
Welcome to the forums!

It's possible that a corrupted file is causing the Gallery to crash; you could try copying the files to your computer and then deleting them.

You could also use the Application manager to find the Gallery app (it'll be under the ALL tab) and clear cache and clear data.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

php_austin

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I know your particular problem is solved. But for future reference, it's possible you disabled the "View Video" app and/or the "TrimIt" app. Too bad there's no list of dependencies in the Application manager! Also it would be useful if the Application manager actually described the apps. If I don't know what something does, I'm going to disable it. A few examples: EPST, COTA, DMC, QXDM... I don't have time to look up what these apps do. I figure if I don't know what it does, disable it.

Siddharthv Sharma

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I am getting the same message on my Nexus 5. I have no external apps installed for video trimming. When I try to trim a mp4 format video using Gallery menu option 'trim video', i get an all time force close.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I have no external apps installed for video trimming. When I try to trim a mp4 format video using Gallery menu option 'trim video', i get an all time force close.
Have you tried rebooting the phone?

Does this happen with all videos or just a particular one?

Are you trying to edit a video that you recorded on the phone?

How long is the video? Perhaps try recording a short one and see if you can edit that one.

You could try going into the Application manager and clearing cache and data for the Gallery app.

gil12113

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I know this thread is two years old now, but I may have found something that could apply to you.

The problem I encountered was similar but not exactly the same: I lost my personalized ringtones and tones. They were still there on the phone, Music player would not find them. In fact Music Player would crash, after NOT finding the few songs I had uploaded ages ago. I will not describe all the other symptoms, but the Gallery: it was not showing any pictures at ALL (not the ones taken with the camera, or the downloaded ones or, etc.). Gallery would not crash though.

I tried many things, including the suggestions in this thread and a couple others. My phone service provider would not suggest more than what I did already, redirected me to Samsung. They in turn recommended to reset the phone to factory settings (losing all my data, apps and customisation, hence a few days of nightmare). This reminds me how the smart guys at Microsoft support repetitively suggests your reinstall your PC as it was 3 years ago before considering helping you.

So I gave up for a few days, mourning about the crazyness of these closed systems (I don't want to lose time rooting the thing).

Then... I search for the commonality between Gallery and Music Player. The answer is ".nomedia" file, which (thanks Ethan who wrote about the topic elsewhere [I may not post the link]): "In Android, a .nomedia file is basically a BLANK file with “.nomedia” as the file name. You can place this file into a folder to inform the media scanner that any media files inside this folder should not be shown in apps such as Gallery, Video and Music Players."

Tada! There was a .nomedia file at the root of my directories, preventing the phone to be scanned. Removing it did it!

Gil