MetroPCS SCH-R530M UPDATE TODAY (07-31-2013) How to re-install?/remove-Partial Install?(??)

AndroidAndMe

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: THIS FLASH TOOK ME TO baseband version R530MVQAMF2
TRYING *again*--WITH Samsung--while not *CALLING* me a Liar, pointed to a page that has listed BaseBands for Metro--this not listed. Again, neither Metro or Samsung willing to help.
Does android have a "SAFE BOOT"/:"RESTORE" feature? Or again, a "Hack" (vis-a-vie like Regedit) spoof the phone into thinking the package not installed (thus allowing a reinstall?).

Hello,
This morning,(Approx 8:30am-9am) I received an Update for my Samsung Galaxy S3-SCH-R530M (MetroPCS)--Bear with me "Time Stamps" will become apparent as you read.
Please note-Prior to writing this, I've done all the "normal" front line type fixes
(removing battery--going so far as removing/reinserting both cards with battery removed).
MetroPCS dude did agree to try a "SOFT RESET" over phone-did not work.

I have TRIED to contact both Samsung Support and MetroPCS Support-for assistance.
Both are acting as if they have *NO CLUE* what I'm talking about. (not aware of an update)

Literally both saying What update?
I said Um, the UPDATE I tried to install came from one of you--Samsung or MetroPCS.

NOTE:WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED JELLY BEAN--It did not install completely. Called MetroPCS.
TECH was able to do something head end /over phone-(RESET)/advised me to Reboot start process again. (Worked perfect).

--AS PER ABOVE--TRIED THIS WITH BOTH SAMSUNG/METROPCS--Neither know of an "Update".
I asserted with MetroPCS asking "please, do you know of a type reset can push to me as was done prior?":
THIS TECH--Said all he knew could "WIPE COMPLETE" (SAID NO!!!)--or a "SOFT REST" (explain didn't think that would work--but I asked to try--did not work).

How I stumbled upon this update?
---THE UPDATE CAME FROM Clicking Settings/About Device/Software Update. ("Normal")
I randomly "pull check" it 1-ish x per month, hoping to get newest Jelly Bean.
Thus I "pulled" this update (vs. it pushed to me) this a.m.

The ISSUE (despite now everything "broken or breaking--see below).
I downloaded the update(had Wi-FI off, before downloading error message said needed to have Wi-Fi enabled, turned on proceeded)=The only noticeable hiccup related to download.

This update appears to be a Major vs. Minor update. I believe this because the download size was relatively large. Not sure exact size, however took several minutes to download

THEREFORE NEEDS TO BE REINSTALLED--OR UNINSTALLED BASED ON UNDESIRED BEHAVIOR OCCURRING
---SEE BLOW--MORE AND MORE "UNEXPECTED"/UNDESIRABLE BEHAVIOR AS I TYPE THIS/TEST PHONE

---"DATA APPS NOT WORKING NOW---CONTINUED BELOW)

THE FAILURE POINT:
After downloading, GUI gave me 3-Choices Install Later, Install, Install Now
(assume "Install" would have provided custom??

I clicked "Install Now"

It quickly errored out saying I did not have enough Battery life to allow the install at this time. Advised to charge battery, attempt install later.
(Despite having 14% *AND* plugged in charger(????).

It then gave me "Don't worry" type message,
Asking to pick a TIME/DATE choice when I would like to install. (the normal type interface when time/date choices made (ie. the Up/Down arrows to move the numbers).

I picked a later time TODAY (5PM-afternoon) to install.

After I did this, it then, placed the Waiting Update in my "Notification Bar Icon"

AFTER Placing the UPDATE PENDING_into the "Notification Bar Icon"
Last Message said I can try to install prior to the chosen time by clicking the "Notification Bar Icon"

During the day, (after 8-9 am download)--I turned off-unplugged my phone (to move to my office/plug in-boot up).
Turned phone back on/the "Notification Bar Icon" missing. Tried to re-download (said already installed)
It's not.
5pm did not see any "Updates" occur (reboot of phone,etc.etc.)-As per the typical FLASH when Jelly Bean Occurred.

This update gave me all the same "warnings" as per Jelly Bean did. (IE-During this cannot use phone/even for Emergency-Do not Unplug-Turn off,etc.(WHILE INSTALLING)
Remember,gave me time choice for Later today (said this wold not be a problem to continue to use my phone as normal).--Picking a later time install.

REASON FOR CONCERN/ISSUE ASSISTANCE---DESPITE PHONE ALL BROKEN APPS
--Feel this is "MAJOR" vs."MINOR" update--because pakage size large.
The update has not been installed (Or only partially installed)--thus causing erratic phone behavior.

****************FAILURES****************
I *DO* HAVE DATA CONNECTIONS--EVIDENCED BY
Speedtest *APP* was able to run

BLAZING FAST DOWNLOADS

TONIGHT
1st TEST--PING 20MS--17mbps DOWN--HORRENDOUS--WORST EVER--UPLOAD (0.80mbps)
2nd Test--PING:16ms--11mbps DOWN-1.46mbps UP
(TEST RUN IMMEDIATE BACK TO BACK)
2ND TEST WAS VERY "ERRATIC" (ie. it "HUNG" for 3-4-ish seconds testing both up/down).

NORMAL-*BLESSED* with Speed
*NORMAL* DOWN Approx 12-16mpbs (viewing historical tests)
*NORMAL* UP Approx 6-7mbps (viewing historical tests()

HOWEVER---PHONE SLOWLY "DYING" (MORE/MORE APPS NOT WORKING)
ALL ANDROID/GOOGLE NATIVE APPS NOT WORKING
OTHER APPS (REQUIRING/DEPENDING ON DATA CONNECTION--SOME WORKING/SOME NOT) .

When FAIL--Advising "No Data Connection"

EXAMPLES OF "BROKEN" NOT WORKING AS EXPECTED *APPS*
1-EVERYTHING "Native" to Google appears "broken"
EXAMPLES:
----Cannot Access Play Store via App (ADVISES NO NETWORK/RETRY)
----CANNOT ACCESS *NEW* EMAIL VIA GMAIL APP (it *DOES* have all my expected old email-behaving as expected)--however will not "SYNC" (advises "No Data Connection/Try again).
---CANNOT ACCESS PANDORA
---CANNOT ACCESS "FACEBOOK LITE"
---CANNOT ACCESS GOOGLE VOICE
---CANNOT ACCESS GOOGLE NAVIGATION

Dropbox just "Died" for no reason. (Warning message to screen).

HOWEVER "APPS" GAINING DATA ACCESS.
---WAZE *IS* WORKING (ODD BECAUSE Waze MOST "DATA HOG" CORRECT?).
I MAKE STRONG *ASSUMPTION* NEEDS "DATA" (IN ADDITION OF COURSE GPS) to provide Street Info, etc. (WORKING PERFECT--BLAZING FAST).

-SMS/TEXT working/receiving texts.
Phone Working.

I can browse the web as normal (via Dophin Browser)--"SPEED" is as expected. --I've made POSITIVELY SURE--It's "new data" via clearing Cache-Opening Sites never opened before,etc.

FINALLY
---THIS TOO IS NOVEL BEHAVIOR
The several times I've attempted throughout the day (to Force pull the update).
As quick as I clicked it (2-3 secs) would dump out/say no updates available. Thus *MY FEELING* was not actually "TRYING" to connect.

WHILE TYPING THIS==-
I've tried 3x-pull update
1st time--I could tell it was "THINKING" (actually communicating)--Because the "UPDATE" icon popped up (upper left screen)--it was "Thinking" about 30-seconds
1st time-error out--"no Updates Available"
2nd Time errored out with "Firmware not available"
3rd time (right now)--again, "No Recent updates" available.

SOLUTION/ASSISTANCE ASKING
IT APPEARS POSSIBLY the Download *PARTIALLY* installed.
EVIDENCE FOR THIS?

The "pull down menu"
(accessible from all screens). IE, pull down from top.
Allows you to see "Wi-Fi"/"GPS",etc.

There is a *NEW ICON* called "Multi Window". I assume, self explanatory behavior.
Have tried, won't "work" What is this? (Despite obvious "Guess"--not able to "use"/"guess use" it.

*ALSO*--*ONE* and only *ONE* new Shortcut Created.

"PAPER ARTIST" (have not noticed before, seems like a "Child's App"
Have not installed any new apps (last week-10 days)--thus don't think it's malware/rouge etc.--ONLY VISIBLE via "APPS" Icon (not placed on any screen).

I have both Lookout and Kaspersky installed (thus feel very sure that did not arrive via rogue app).

I am of the assumption I'm stuck in a partial install.

How can I "roll back"? "uninstall" package? FORCE Install to complete?

I'm what most would consider "Power User" for Windows (command line/regedit about anything).

Is there something similar in Android? (Something to "FLUSH"/or a "SWITCH"--to spoof download not there--thus download again?

IF ALL FAILS (NEED A HARD REST)--"FACTORY"
BEFORE DOING SO--HOW CAN I MAKE SURE THE PHONE HAS BACKED ITSELF UP (VIA NATIVE SAMSUNG PROCESS?).
to the email address I long ago pointed it to?

THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT READ THIS--I FELT NEEDED TO PROVIDE AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE (AS NOT TO have to back/forth for your VALUABLE ASSISTANCE)

I really appreciate the assistance!!

Thanks,
R

Last edited:

AndroidAndMe

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
PS--IF IT MATTERS---the "Paper Artist" is some sort of System App (thus *SOMETHING* came through)--I went into Applications to uninstall it--ONLY ALLOWS "Disable"
Thus really think I'm stuck, in middle of firmware update. *GOD HELP*
Speaking with *ONLINE CHAT* MetroPCS (hoping they're better). Advised issue--last response, "I'm sorry, you're having trouble accessing the Internet"
*shaking my head*--The item I clearly said *WAS WORKING* (thus my Confusion)

His Reply--(again, confirming they don't know of the update....concluding with .
we do not provide update for the firmware, they only made a soft system reset for the service we provide, that is why I make this question

COME ON! (THE Fun continues)
I am sorry, we are both, and this is Firmware update is for the android service that is a service that google provide, in this case you need to contact them to check why this is happening with this update

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You didn't state what firmware your phone is currently reporting (or I missed it somewhere in that novel you wrote).

If you use the Kies software on your PC you can find out what the current version of firmware for your carrier is, along with the version that your phone is reporting. You can also use Kies to backup most of your data (contacts; SMS/MMS; call logs; etc).

Finally, you can use Kies to reload the latest firmware, so if you think something got buggered up in the last OTA that happened, just make a backup, put your phone in Download mode and away you go.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta