Galaxy S3: Change outgoing email font?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to change the outgoing email font using the built in Samsung email for Exchange? It defaults to Times New Roman but I use Calibri from my PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Change outgoing email font?

Yes, there is. Go to setting-display-font style. This will allow you to change the font of not just mail, but globally across your system. My ATT version only offers 4 fonts, but you can download more.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I think that's for the phone but not email. My email is being sent with Times New Roman but that's not the system font I'm using.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
On my phone, it does change the mail font. Maybe you're using a different mail app? I'm using Gmail, and the font is the same as the system.

Posted via Android Central App

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

On my phone, it does change the mail font. Maybe you're using a different mail app? I'm using Gmail, and the font is the same as the system.

I can't use Gmail with a corporate Exchange server.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Any luck on this one? I'm having the same issue.
Which same issue - being unable to use Gmail on a corporate exchange server (the previous post), or being unable to change the font of outgoing email (the original post)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Jasadon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

I believe she is answering the thread title "Change outgoing email font?" The inability to use Gmail with a corporate Exchange server is probably ansextra's work's policy.

Jasadon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi, This inability to change font easily has been bugging me since 2011 when i first noticed it. You don't notice it onscreen as it has a different font in the email program - it look fine, then if you see the email you sent from another email client it is new times roman.

Really appreciate a superuser or android tech expert to reply to this thread please.

Jason

jstoltzfus

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

Did anybody happen to figure this out? Having the same issue - trying to match my e-mail font to the font that I use from my PC as well.

cboshdave

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

Agreed with all above postings. This is a huge frustration for me as well. I just got an OS update and I looked for the ability to change the fonts again and still cannot find it. I would like my Galaxy to be an "extension" of my computer work. I want to be able to answer emails from my computer OR my phone and have it be transparent as to which one I am using. This font feature is KILLING that ability. I could change my computer email, but we have standards that must be adhered to in the office.

SpTr

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

I got frustrated by this and started looking at the source of the e-mails sent via the Exchange mail app (Nexus 5, stock mail client). I was thinking that the Mail app might be sending e-mail in plaintext instead of HTML since plaintext e-mails show up differently in Outlook. This is what I found instead:

Emails sent from Outlook (desktop) and Gmail (website) have the following HTML tags above their text:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">​

Emails from the Android Mail client have the following HTML tags:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">​

Someone in my company sent me an e-mail. I responded via my phone. It looks like this:
"All the e-mail Header text"
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
"What I wrote"
<div style="direction:ltr; font-family:Tahoma; color:#000000; font-size:10pt">
"What he wrote"
<p class="fd4917f4-0195-4fde-bff6-1e0ce1e7456c"><font color="silver" size="1" face="Verdana" style="font-family:Verdana; color:silver; font-size:7pt"> </p>
"A footer added to all messages by our Exchange server asking you to save trees and not print this e-mail"
In the mail app on my phone my text and his text are the same but the footer is different. In Outlook my text, his text, and the footer look different.

That tells me that the e-mail app on our phones
1) Is sending html email
2) Can display some alternate fonts and styles
3) Is sending e-mail in an ascii character set instead of UTF, causing them to be displayed in a non-default manner in Outlook.

This setting would have to be changed by the mail app developers, OR by a third-party hack to the mail app or outgoing mail flow (something that could be developed for the Xposed Framework on a rooted phone, maybe?) I don't know of anyone that has written anything like that but I intend to see if I can find one.

Last edited:

Mike005

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

Any luck with this? Drives me nuts seeing the sloppy outgoing font on my emails. Not to mention the "paragraph" is set to 12 pt spacing.

SpTr

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

As far as I've been able to tell, nobody has developed a hack to the mail app or outgoing mail flow. The next option is to use a separate email app.

Exchange ActiveSync is a necessary requirement for me. I've profiled all of the mail apps I can find:
Enhanced Mail - Exchange - ActiveSync
Nine - Exchange - ActiveSync
CloudMagic - Exchange - ActiveSync
MailBe.at - Exchange - ActiveSync
Moxier - Exchange - ActiveSync
K-9 - Exchange 2003/2007 - WebDAV
Kaiten - Exchange 2003/2007 - WebDAV
K-@ - IMAP
SolMail - IMAP
Evomail - IMAP
MailDroid - IMAP - Has Push
ProfiMail Go - IMAP - Push
AquaMail - IMAP - Push
Emoze - Seems to be a separate sync service that handles your other accounts--I don't want to give them account credentials.​

I'll test those as I have time. Please do some tests as well, and let us know if any work for this issue!

613wiz

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Solved!!! Hopefully for you too

Hi,
I shared all of your frustration with searching for a solution with setting up the signature and email font in my new S4 so that it matches the office.

I searched and found a solution on a forum that might not be directly related to S4, but I tried the solution, tested it, and it worked for me.

Solution:
1. Email yourself from outlook with your signature and desired body font in the top line spaces.
2. Open on your phone.
3. Copy all email.
4. Set signature in phone, and paste making sure the signature has a few line spaces above it.

The way this works is that the signature is the whole email now, and you are technically typing within the signature which has your font you saved.

Please see the source of this info at Stock Email Font - Page 2

I really hope I have alleviated some of your stress knowing that there is a solution out there, despite Samsung's insisting that there is no solution.

They need to fix this quickly- because whatever their intention they are making it very hard for their customers who don't want to use Gmail.
:cool:

dremul

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Tried this on my S4, leaving the empty lines, making sure they had the right format, and did not work for me.
Tried with Calibri and Arial... nothing :-(

SpTr

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
@dremul
Try it with text as well. That's what I needed to do.

I sent myself an email:
Code:
Test

[Name]
[Company, etc]
When I copied just the space, Name, and Company it did not work.
When I copied the word Test, the space, the Name, and Company; pasted; and then deleted the word "Test" it worked!

--SpTr
on Nexus 5

Lou King

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Which same issue - being unable to use Gmail on a corporate exchange server (the previous post), or being unable to change the font of outgoing email (the original post)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry - that was rather ambiguous! I'm having the issue that regardless of the font selected on the phone, all emails are received in Times New Roman. I suspect this is because Outlook does not have whatever font the emails are actually going out in, so Times New Roman is being substituted. Like ansextra, I cannot use Gmail as these are work emails sent through corporate exchange server.

It seems crazy that we'd have to root our phones or resort to other random work-arounds just to send an email in any font other than Times New Roman, but it is appearing that that's the case....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz