s3 4.2.2 update gapps problem

Salil Goyal

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
hi all,

i installed ota update from samsung (4.2.2) for my s3. Now it started giving "unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" popup every 5 seconds. Made navigation & my life extremely difficult.

So, i did a google search. in application settings, reset the preferences, cleared data of "all apps", removed sync, all google accounts. the problem persisted. I took a backup via kies and did a factory reset as many suggested it is the last resort. the problem is still very much there and now i can't even get to home screen as for some reason phone's first time setup is not getting complete. it gets stuck at "google & location" screen and doesn't go further.

To add to it, the "unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" popup appears every 5 seconds and has made it worse.

The phone's out of warranty. I even tried to root it today using odin but odin is not detecting the phone. I installed usb drivers and rebooted the phone in recovery mode and still no luck.

I am running out of options. I got a vacation in few days and it will be a bummer if i cant use my fone. :':)':)'(

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't already, you should try booting in Recovery mode and clearing the cache.

Note that Odin doesn't really allow you to root your phone - it does, however, allow you to load a ROM that is already rooted. BTW, the phone has to be in Download mode in order to use it with Odin.

I'd suggest avoiding rooting the phone simply to solve this problem - there are other pitfalls associated with rooting that may give you more headaches. If clearing the cache in Recovery mode doesn't fix your problem then I'd suggest using the Kies software on your PC to flash the correct firmware - you're less likely to select an incorrect firmware going this route.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Salil Goyal

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't already, you should try booting in Recovery mode and clearing the cache.

Note that Odin doesn't really allow you to root your phone - it does, however, allow you to load a ROM that is already rooted. BTW, the phone has to be in Download mode in order to use it with Odin.

I'd suggest avoiding rooting the phone simply to solve this problem - there are other pitfalls associated with rooting that may give you more headaches. If clearing the cache in Recovery mode doesn't fix your problem then I'd suggest using the Kies software on your PC to flash the correct firmware - you're less likely to select an incorrect firmware going this route.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I got to know 4.2.2 was never issued for my phone. So it is clearly a mistake on samsung's part. or maybe my eyes. :confused:

Anyways, maybe it wasn't for my phone.. My phone was unusable after that. Tried factory reset, everything. Ended up installing another country's 4.2.2 stock on my cell. Screwed up my IMEI.Then somegow got hold of 4.1.2 stock which belonged to my country and everything's good now. Hopefully stays that way..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835