Samsung Galaxy S3 touch-screen only working during initial time after boot-up, then stops responding

Neoking101

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I have just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S3. The phone is awesome, but I think I have a unique problem. The phone's touch screen is only working after boot up, then when I press the lock/power button, then press it again, when the phone's screen comes back on, it's un responsive.

So basically, I boot the phone up. Then when it's ready to go, everything is working fine. The phone is really smooth. Then, when I press the power button to lock the phone, then press it again to turn the screen back on, the touch screen isn't working. The only way the touch screen will start working is if I take the battery out and reboot the phone. And the same thing happens, during the stages of initial start up, the phone's touch screen is nice and responsive, but after locking it for a short moment, the touch screen stops working.

Any advice on what to do? I can't return it because I bought it online and returns aren't accepted, but the phone was completely new. Please help someone, this is entirely frustrating to come upon when getting a new phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You bought it from some place that doesn't accept returns on defective products? That in itself sounds questionable. How can you be sure it's even new?

Anyway...
Did this behavior start immediately after you completed setup, or only after you started installing apps? If the latter, you should do a Factory Reset and don't install anything afterwards. If the former, then regardless of the seller's policy you need to get them to replace/exchange it. Otherwise you'll have to contact Samsung directly and get your warranty handled through them.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Neoking101

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
You bought it from some place that doesn't accept returns on defective products? That in itself sounds questionable. How can you be sure it's even new?

Anyway...
Did this behavior start immediately after you completed setup, or only after you started installing apps? If the latter, you should do a Factory Reset and don't install anything afterwards. If the former, then regardless of the seller's policy you need to get them to replace/exchange it. Otherwise you'll have to contact Samsung directly and get your warranty handled through them.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Well, it was like this when I got it. I'm pretty sure it's new because it was still in it's factory seal, without the plastic covering off or anything. I'm just wondering why the touch screen works during initial start up, then stops working after locking the phone... Is there something in the settings that could be causing this?

Oscar Chavez

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I got mine earlier this month as a gift and the same thing is happening to me! I was browsing twitter and suddenly bam. Touch screen is unresponsive. I even did a factory reset and problem still persists. Help?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Oscar,
You're saying that your touchscreen also works fine until you manually lock the device using the Power button?

Oscar/Neoking101,
What happens if you don't use the Power button, but instead let the screen timeout normally?
What happens if you use the Home button to wake the device?
What happens if you disable all lock screen options (ie no Swipe; nothing)?
Not that I think it'll help, but have you tried booting in Recovery mode and clearing the cache?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude