Galaxy S4 camera in a S3

danny4744

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried replacing the 8mp Galaxy S3 camera with the 13mp Galaxy S4 camera? The flex cable looks almost identical and I found it for sale for $15. What issues would you see arising? I bought one to try it out... I imagine the software might be an issue to make it work properly.
S3

S4

Last edited:

brainvision

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
mmm.. Interesting.. I have a question, for you, if you please.. (Sorry, not a reply.. :( :( )
All the hardware of the S4 camera is there? There are no others components? If so it could be very very interesting insert the S4 camera! Nice idea.. ;)

BTW, I think that maybe the software problems could be more easy to solve than you think.. I heard theat with the next future firmware Samsung will bring most of the feature of the new S4 to our S3. If so maybe changing the camera application should be really easy, shouldn't it?

Finally, can you please give me the link where I can find the S4 camera to buy?
Thanks a lot.. ;)

[ brvsn ~ RootBox on Nxs7.3G ~ Tapatalk.4 ]

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
There's multiple levels of software on these phones. There's the OS level, which is probably similar in the whole phone line. although the versions are different (4.1.2 versus 4.2.2), and there's the driver level and hardware-specific code. I think that what you're going to run into is that you're going to have become a driver developer to make S4 hardware devices work on the S3, since the drivers for the S4 will not work right on the S3, the S3 has different drivers for it's own hardware. There is a lot of different hardware around the camera in an S4 and an S3.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be very surprised if you could get this to work without a lot of playing around, some coding and rebuilding of the whole OS (including drivers). It may be that the camera hardware has a standard hardware interface at the top level, but that would surprise me. But I like to be surprised *smile*. Even if that were the case, you'd still need an S3 driver for the S4 camera, since the hardware that talks to the camera is different between the S3 and S4 (I'd bet).

When Samsung "brings the S4 features to the S3" that it can (due to the differences in hardware), the driver that Samsung supplies for the S3 camera will be an S3 camera driver, not an S4 camera driver.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463