2 amp charger for S3?

ramsv94

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I need to get a new charger for my S3 as my old one is dying out on me. Alot of people have told me to order the 2amp Note 2 charger but i am unsure if the extra power will affect the phone or battery life. Anyone if there is any effects?

Last edited by a moderator:

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2amp charger

I have a 1.5 amp charger in my car and it works fine. Not sure about 2 amps... that's twice the capacity of the OEM charger.

Posted via Android Central App

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2amp charger

First of all the wall wart *isn't* the charger it's just a dumb power supply. The actual charging circuit is in the *phone* and it's a fairly smart one. Tests done by users over in xda-developers show it limits the amount of current the battery can draw to about 0.9 amps regardless of the current available whether 1 amp, 2 amps or 200 amps. You won't see any benefit from a 2 amp power supply but it won't damage the phone either. Also when the battery is fully charged it shuts down totally--it doesn't continue trickle charging like simpler chargers. The supplied 1 amp "charger" does get warm when full rate charging is happening--and will probably fail earlier--a 2 amp model doesn't so that might be a reason to justify the 2 amp.

KCandroidite

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm ignorant of this, so how come when I use the same "wall wart" with 2 different cables one will show "A/C" and charge in half the time of the other that shows "D/C"?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm totally curious here - what is it that's showing A/C or D/C - the phone? The charger? The cable?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
((
I'm ignorant of this, so how come when I use the same "wall wart" with 2 different cables one will show "A/C" and charge in half the time of the other that shows "D/C"?

Because one of the cables is a "charge only" cable and one is a full data cable. The standard PC USB port can only supply 0.5amps of power much less than the wall wart. In order to distinguish which type of port they're connected to and therefore know how much power can be drawn phones examine the two inside "data" wires on the USB connection. If they are shorted together the phone says hey I'm plugged into a charging port and can draw max amps and it reports it as "AC"--if they are not shorted then it limits amp draw to 0.5amps and reports it as " D/C". Note that some wall wart modules short the data pins internally--with those you can use any cable and pull max. Others don't so in order to pull over 0.5amps you must use a special "charging only" USB cable that does the shorting in the cable--these will NOT work for data usage. Apple phones do something similar but instead of shorting the data pair they change the voltage on one data wire.

Reed Jones

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what is going on then. When I charge my s3 (about a year and a half old) with the supplied charger it says its charging (although it takes a long time) and after it is "fully" charged my battery barely lasts until noon... HOWEVER when I use my nexus 7 charger (2amp) it charges much faster, and the battery easily lasts all day. I have just noticed this trend recently and have been testing it all week and cant figure it out. Another tidbit, if I am using my s3 charger and playing with my phone, it is charging slower than I'm using it and will die. I am not running any power hungry apps or anything. Everything I have said has been true for both untouched, unmodified stock ROM, before and after factory reset. And my new Candy-Kat Rom. Anyone have any ideas?

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I need to get a new charger for my S3 as my old one is dying out on me. Alot of people have told me to order the 2amp Note 2 charger but i am unsure if the extra power will affect the phone or battery life. Anyone if there is any effects?
To get back to the OP. You could use a 100 amp charger, but the phone will only draw what it needs. That charger will be fine.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
When I charge my s3 (about a year and a half old) with the supplied charger it says its charging (although it takes a long time) and after it is "fully" charged my battery barely lasts until noon... HOWEVER when I use my nexus 7 charger (2amp) it charges much faster, and the battery easily lasts all day.

Could be the supplied charger is going bad and supplying less current. Or it could be the battery itself wearing out and taking more current than originally needed to charge. Luckily with this phone both can be easily replaced.

Another tidbit, if I am using my s3 charger and playing with my phone, it is charging slower than I'm using it and will die.

Again an indication that the phone isn't able to pull enough current for simultaneous charging and running. Time to change the battery and/or charger.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what is going on then. When I charge my s3 (about a year and a half old) with the supplied charger it says its charging (although it takes a long time) and after it is "fully" charged my battery barely lasts until noon... HOWEVER when I use my nexus 7 charger (2amp) it charges much faster, and the battery easily lasts all day. I have just noticed this trend recently and have been testing it all week and cant figure it out. Another tidbit, if I am using my s3 charger and playing with my phone, it is charging slower than I'm using it and will die. I am not running any power hungry apps or anything. Everything I have said has been true for both untouched, unmodified stock ROM, before and after factory reset. And my new Candy-Kat Rom. Anyone have any ideas?

The stock charger if working correctly, should provide enough power to both charge and use the phone at the same time. If it isn't then there probably something wrong with the charger.

You can use an app like battery monitor widget to log charging rate.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

sam ali522

May 20, 2015
Visit site

No it's not gonna affect anything because simply s3 phones requires 2.1amp charger just like note 2 just take your battery out of your s3 and look at the details written on the battery area

rich6440

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
This happened to Me.It turned out, that the usb port had cracked loose and charger was not making good contact.After having usb port resoldered everything works like new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles