LCD cracked, nothing to display

J1mmy7319

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I accidently dropped my phone and the LCD has been cracked along with the digitizer. It looks like the screen isn't worth replacing given how much they cost, I thought I might as well sell it off. The problem is that I want to clear my device entirely before selling it, but can I do so without a screen?

Is there any way I can hook it up to another device so that I can use that devices' screen in wiping it?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember any way using ADB to wipe the phone but I'm no expert.

If you know someone with another S3 you could borrow their screen to make it happen - this involves some disassembly of the phone.

Seems like the going rate for a replacement LCD/digitizer is ~$179 http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

Edit: oh, I forgot - if you have an MHL<>HDMI adapter you could hook the phone up to a TV and see the screen that way.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

J1mmy7319

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the replacement screen is no longer feasible, and I think getting another functioning S3 wouldn't work as I'd probably end up screwing that one over.

Is there no way to do via the booting menu with the volume keys? I remember seeing an option that resembled 'erase...' last time I installed a custom rom.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you mean trying to navigate Recovery mode blind, I suppose that's possible. Unfortunately I don't have the stock Recovery on my phone so I can't guide you through the correct steps - sorry.

You could use the Kies software on your PC to do that, come to think of it. (So much for thinking out of the box) :banghead:

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes - goto Tools -> Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation

It may be crappy, but it's easier for the average Joe to use than Odin (for reflashing firmware), and it's the only way I've found to backup/restore MMS (apps that'll backup/restore SMS are a-dime-a-dozen, but I haven't found a single one that'll do MMS).

J1mmy7319

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try this out. Although, I suppose I can't be certain that the wipe has been successful as I won't be able to see anything...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to see all of your information on the phone before the wipe; after the wipe all that data will be gone.

J1mmy7319

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if the Kies method will work. I just installed Kies and it's detected the phone, but all its been saying is 'Connecting' I got a feeling that a pop-up has come up onscreen and its waiting for me to select whether I should attach it as a mass storage, media etc. And of course, I cannot choose - unless theres a way with the buttons.

J1mmy7319

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if the Kies method will work. I just installed Kies and it's detected the phone, but all its been saying is 'Connecting' I got a feeling that a pop-up has come up onscreen and its waiting for me to select whether I should attach it as a mass storage, media etc. And of course, I cannot choose - unless theres a way with the buttons.

Actually, put this comment on hold - I think Kies is making some progress after 10 mins. Now I know why I never bothered using this rubbish.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay