Rooted update

Liam France

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
How do I keep up with updates of new Os and firmware? I tried unroot which ended up unsuccessful, I'd like to keep up with updates without risk of bricking my phone, my phone crashes often and I'm savvy on recovery (titanium backup) but I'm sure this happens on a regular basis due to updates that my s3 has missed out on, any suggestions peeps :)

Posted via Android Central App

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you're rooted, you cannot flash stock ota updates, you would need to wait for them to be provided by the community safe for root users to flash.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What version of the S3 do you have, and are you running the stock or a custom ROM?

If you check the subforum for your carrier and device, you may find methods to update your rooted device. In the Sprint subforum, for example, I posted links to pre-rooted stock ROMs, and instructions for updating, for the most recent Sprint update. Another member, Skunkape, did the same thing for earlier Sprit ROMs. If you can't find anything here, you might want to check the forums for your carrier / device on xda-developers, as there's a pretty good chance you'll find something there.

If you're using a custom ROM, your best bet is to wait for your ROM builder to provide an update. If you're not using a custom ROM, and can't find a way to update your rooted device, your options are to unroot (if one method didn't work, search for another method--there are bound to be more than one), or to flash a custom ROM.

Edit: regarding frequent crashes. While I can't be sure, of course, I think application issues are a more likely cause than missed OS updates. Try going into recovery and clearing cache. See if that helps. If not, you might want to consider a factory reset. After the reset, though, don't simply restore everything. Start fresh, reinstalling only a few key apps that you must have, and see if your phone is stable. If so, start reinstalling apps just a couple at a time, and use the phone for a day or so. If the phone is still stable, install a couple of more apps. Repeat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza