Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick Helm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is battery draining so fast??

Battery seems to be draining ridiculously fast. Took it off charge at 3pm, 100%, it's now 1am and at 23%. Haven't been using it heavily, and the screen is at lowest brightness.
    Why is battery draining so fast??-screenshot_2013-09-08-00-58-23.pngWhy is battery draining so fast??-screenshot_2013-09-08-00-58-39.pngWhy is battery draining so fast??-screenshot_2013-09-08-00-58-45.png

Default Re: Why is battery draining so fast??

Welcome to Android Central! That sure seems excessive. Check out these tips first, then let us know if it's still draining too fast: [Guide] Battery Saving Tips

What kind of battery life have you been getting? That graph looks similar to what I would expect with my S4. I know you have a little smaller screen, but it looks pretty consistent with the usage. What was your wifi traffic like the second time you had the wifi active? From the battery graph it looks like you were quite active on the network, or the radio was trying unsuccessfully to connect to a network.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by angry mustache View Post
    What kind of battery life have you been getting? That graph looks similar to what I would expect with my S4. I know you have a little smaller screen, but it looks pretty consistent with the usage. What was your wifi traffic like the second time you had the wifi active? From the battery graph it looks like you were quite active on the network, or the radio was trying unsuccessfully to connect to a network.
    the second time i had wifi connected i maybe scrolled through twitter once and then left it idle for 2 hours or so. Im wondering if the screen is affecting the battery, as when my battery is very very low, a few percentage, the screen starts to flicker and then the phone turns off.

The screen will certainly drain the battery. Even with the S3 has a relatively large screen which is why the screen is listed at the top of the usage chart. If it wasn't, I would certainly be looking to find something else eating the battery. I would definitely look into the tips provided in the link above, and see what those do for you. It looks like something may have been turning the screen on, thus draining the battery when you weren't using it for the last couple hours.

Most of that data looks pretty normal; however, in the 2nd screenshot there were more Awake events than there were Screen events. You could use something like Wakelock Detector: to find out what's waking the phone up so often. I'm guessing that it's Facebook, and perhaps a couple of other apps that are set to sync too often.

And be sure to check out the Google Play Store comments for the Facebook app - it's overall rating is 3.7, which is pretty lousy.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

I have had my S4 for 6 months and until recently the battery usage was minimal. Rarely, fell below 80% for a full days use. Recently, it began to gobble up the battery and my usage pattern has not changed. My battery usage looks like yours. I suspect a recent operating system upgrade is the culprit. I want to know how to go back to the older system.
    Asad Ali6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Helm View Post
    I have had my S4 for 6 months and until recently the battery usage was minimal. Rarely, fell below 80% for a full days use. Recently, it began to gobble up the battery and my usage pattern has not changed. My battery usage looks like yours. I suspect a recent operating system upgrade is the culprit. I want to know how to go back to the older system.
    Go into your settings and turn off location services. That's usually the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Here are some screenshots, can anyone tell me why battery is draining so fast?Running with juice defender, no sync, minimum brightness, no WIFI, No fun!Why is battery draining so fast??-screenshot_2014-01-16-15-15-34.pngWhy is battery draining so fast??-screenshot_2014-01-16-15-15-54.png Why is battery draining so fast??-screenshot_2014-01-16-15-15-26.png

Global Posts
    13,800 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Has it always been this bad? I would guess a weak cell signal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

And Facebook. Sorry but that app is a battery hog.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it has always been this bad. My signal isn't great at home, but the battery seems to drain quickly no matter where I am.

What about a bad battery from the factory?

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Have you downloaded and used the battery assessment apps like GSAM Battery Monitor and BetterBatteryStats? Those helped me narrow down my issues to an (nearly) unsolvable WakeLock background issue. For me, it was simply a matter of downloading an app called DeepSleep Battery Saver. It has been a lifesaver for me. After weeks of reading forums and working on my phone, I couldn't crack my phone's battery drain (I knew it wouldn't go into DeepSleep and there was a WakeLock problem, but I couldn't narrow it down beyond that). After installing DS Batter Saver, it has been like night and day. It's crazy. That is now my go to recommendation for people. It fixed my "unfixable" phone problem.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Try turning on power saving mode that works for me, I usually just leave it on all the time