Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooted Galaxy S3 - can't gain access to ClockworkMod Recovery for backup

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Rogers, I was able to root my phone following the instructions on

How to Root Any Samsung Galaxy S3! ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more!

I actually have a Mac but wasn't able to successfully root my phone until I gave up & used my mom's Windows laptop. So it's now rooted but when I reboot & try to access ClockworkMod Recovery (holding Volume Up, Home Button & Power Button) I can't seem to access it. I'm asking because I would like to do a backup before moving on to installing a custom ROM. I'm a noob to this but moderately comfortable with this sort of thing, being a Ubuntu user for a long time, but can't seem to find anything online that is helping me.

Default Re: Rooted Galaxy S3 - can't gain access to ClockworkMod Recovery for backup

What happens when you try?

First, you need to have the phone off to do this. It won't work if the phone is powered on when you start. Second, if you release the buttons too soon or too late the phone will boot normally. Hold all three buttons until you see the Samsung logo, then immediately release all three buttons. It should boot into recovery.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Default Re: Rooted Galaxy S3 - can't gain access to ClockworkMod Recovery for backup

I'm confused - you said that you rooted the phone following the instructions at the link you provided. In order to load the superuser zip file (in step 15) you first had to boot into ClockWorkMod Recovery (in step 14). Were you able to perform step 14? If so, you should be able to follow the same steps to get into ClockWorkMod Recovery again.

FWIW I ended up having more problems with CWM than it was worth, so I ended up switching to TWRP. If you're interested you can use GooManager: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...0up.goomanager to replace CWM with TWRP.

But you still have to follow the same steps to boot into Recovery mode regardless of which recovery software you're using - with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Up and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and when you see the splash screen release them all.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

I am having a similar issue. I have a Verizon Galaxy S3. I rooted it with Casual (video here of steps I followed HOW TO ROOT Verizon Galaxy S3 CASUAL One Click Root, Unlock, Recovery - YouTube ) Installed ROM Manager and flashed Clockwork Mod. But I cant get to clockwork mod. Even when I download a ROM, and reboot into recovery, it takes me to the Android recovery. (It asks if I am sure i want to reboot into clockwork, but I get the "Android System Recovery", blue text instead.) If anyone has links to instructions or a guide that will work that would be great. I tried this one How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on any Samsung Galaxy S3! ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more!

But of course, none of the links work.

I'd suggest that you forget ClockWorkMod and ROM Manager.

Install GooManager: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...0up.goomanager and use it to install TWRP and I think you'll be much happier.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4