Samsung Galaxy S3 Memory

Andrew Borrett

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post here so please bear with me.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 16gb with a 64gb external micro sd card however I am almost at the limit of my internal device memory even with all my photos and music being on the sd card.

I have had a look under storage and the biggest file is Miscellaneous - external_sd which uses 5.6gb but I don't know what this file is as I can't view it but I can delete it if I wanted to ?

If I could free up this space it would be great but I don't know what's actually in it as my music, photos are all on the sd card, I also do not have that many apps ?

Please can you help me ?

Many thanks
Andrew

ben7798

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
If you use your file manager you should be able to open up the miscellaneous file and see what exactly is in there and select the items you want to get rid of and free up some space without deleting the entire file. There's probably some stuff in there you want to keep. You might be able to move some of those files to your SD card also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're referring to the Settings -> Storage viewuploadfromtaptalk1378846540194.jpgthen it's perfectly normal for the Miscellaneous category to be that big - those are the OS files.

You could try something like DiskUsage: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage which will show you a pictorial view starting with the biggest files. It may help you narrow down what is taking up your extra space.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Borrett

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're referring to the Settings -> Storage viewView attachment 80381then it's perfectly normal for the Miscellaneous category to be that big - those are the OS files.

You could try something like DiskUsage: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage which will show you a pictorial view starting with the biggest files. It may help you narrow down what is taking up your extra space.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Borrett

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're referring to the Settings -> Storage viewView attachment 80381then it's perfectly normal for the Miscellaneous category to be that big - those are the OS files.

Thanks for the reply. I have a 16gb Samsung Galaxy S3 and the total device storage only shows as 11.25gb so doesn't that mean that 5.75gb has already been taken once for OS files ?

Many thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Please post a screenshot of your Storage view.
What version firmware are you running (Settings -> About phone)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrew,
Sorry, those screenshots didn't come through (or the Tapatalk app is having some issue; I'll try looking on the website).