s3 screen issue

myochai

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago my s3's screen stopped working.
The phone is working and I can receive and answer calls using the headset.
Initially the screen was just black and sometimes when i'll try it a purple line will flicker on the right side. A few hours later the screen came back, a bit blurred and with a big ink like, half circle, mark. Even then, it didn't respond to touch.
Then it turned all black again and stayed that way.
I didn't drop the phone (it was dropped about twice but that was a few months ago) or get it wet or anything.
What is the problem with it?
Will Samsung fix it under the warranty?
Thanks,
Yochai
s3 screen.jpg

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You should check with your carrier first - depending on how long ago you purchased it you may be able to get them to replace it.

Next would be Samsung - again, depending on which model it is (I think the International model has a two year warranty) and how long ago you purchased it, you should be able to get it repaired.

Finally, it certainly appears to be a problem with the digitizer and LCD. It could be that the connector is just coming loose, or that there's some manufacturing defect that takes a long time to manifest. Or perhaps the drops are finally being evidenced.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

myochai

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply,
If Samsung can claim that this is the result of me dropping the phone, even if long ago, they will not cover it under the warranty :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you can't get it repaired under warranty then your best bet is to DIY - check out http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html (it's about $180 for the whole assembly; be sure to get the correct color for your phone). You can find teardown videos online like http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S+III+Teardown/9391/1

If you're going that route you might as well open it up to verify that the connector hasn't come loose.

Finally, unless you tell them I'm not sure how Samsung would determine that the phone was dropped - your call.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

myochai

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It wasn't too difficult.
I watched 2 different Youtube clips, to see how it's done from different angles. Neither were perfect, but together it covered almost everything I needed.