poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, at the moment i have an iphone 5 but i am thinking of moving to an Android phone, i have just been looking at the S3, I'm used to OTA updates directly on the iphone, how easy or otherwise are updates to the S3?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Are you asking about OS updates, or application updates?

If applications, you have two options; in the Play Store app, you can choose automatic updates or manual updates. If you choose automatic, whenever there's an app update it will just happen. If you choose manual, you'll be notified when updates are available, and you can choose whether to update each app individually.

If you're talking OS updates, things are a little bit more complicated. If you don't root your phone (more or less like jailbreaking an iPhone), you'll get OTAs, as they become available, with no manual intervention. If your phone is rooted, OTA's will typically fail. But manual updates are usually available very quickly, often before the OTA has rolled out to everyone. If you've installed a custom ROM, then you'll need to wait for your ROM developer to incorporate the update and release a new version.

One other thing about OS updates: Unless you buy the unbranded international version of the phone (i9300), you're always dependent on your carrier to release an OS update. You won't get it directly from Samsung.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Rather than a Galaxy S3 you may want to consider the Nexus 4 (currently on sale in the Google Play Store), which will get the latest OS updates directly from Google. Depending on which carrier you're with you could go prepaid and save some $$$ on the usual monthly fees. Or you can wait a couple of months until the new Nexus (5?) is released and have LTE support, among other things (as long as you're not on Verizon - the phone likely isn't coming to that network).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm in the UK and i always buy my handset outright and go on pay as u go, i have looked at the Nexus 4, it's certainly seems a lot of phone for the money, i would be interested in seeing what the next Nexus has to offer though, I'm with 3 mobile here and they have the Nexus 4, it's worth considering.

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I went into town today as you can't really tell if you're going to like a phone until you handle it and i was really blown away by the Samsung Galaxy S4, that is one gorgeous phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The LG G2 and Sony Xperia Z1 (and even Motorola Moto X) are some pretty nice new phones that you may want to consider since you're looking at the S4 - if they're available on your network anyway.

If you think (like I do) that the Nexus 4 has got the best bang for your pound/euro, and if you can get it through the Google Play Store, you should snatch one up soon - once the new Nexus is released they probably won't have the current one. Of course, perhaps it'll be even cheaper through your local carrier.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll take another look at the ones you mention just so i'm sure before taking the plunge, you really are spoilt for choice when it comes to Android phones, with iphone its mainly deciding on black or white lol.