Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Galaxy S3 is stuck at Samsung logo splash screen and wonít charge

Hi. A little bit of help would be highly appreciated.

A few days ago, my Samsung Galaxy S3 started freezing randomly. I had to remove the battery in order to restart it. Yesterday the problem got worse: whenever I try to turn the phone on, it freezes in the first splash screen (the ďSamsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300Ē screen). When I push the power button for a few seconds in order to turn it off, it goes off but then turns on by itself immediately after and freezes again in the first screen. I have to remove the battery in order to turn it off.

When I try to charge the phone with the mains charger or with the USB cable connected to my PC, a gray battery icon with a static circle inside appears and the screen doesnít change. After several minutes, the phone gets warm, but thereís no evidence that the battery is charging (the icon of the gray battery with a static circle inside is still there).

I took my wifeís S3 battery (50% charged), put into my S3, pushed the power button and the phone froze at the same point (ďGalaxy S3Ē screen). Iíve also tested my battery on my wifeís S3: it charged normally and her phone worked flawlessly. I guess this means itís not a battery issue.

Iíve already tried to clear the cache partition or even factory reset my phone (removed the battery for a few seconds, put it back, then pushed Volume Up + Home + Power for a while), but it didnít work either (the Android System Recovery screen never appeared).

The phone is rooted, but Iíve never installed any custom ROM.

Iíve read many android forums and tried a few workarounds, but nothing seemed to work.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Default Re: Galaxy S3 is stuck at Samsung logo splash screen and wonít charge

My wife's s3 had the same issue.
    Go into download mode and clear/wipe cache/history and try again. It worked for me the 3rd time I wiped the cache.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know it's not possible to clear/wipe cache via Download Mode (Volume Down + Home + Power during boot). It should be performed via Recovery Menu (Volume Up + Home + Power during boot), shouldn't it?

The problem is that Download Mode does work, but Recovery Menu doesn't (nothing happens when I press Volume Up + Home + Power during boot).

You're correct that you can't clear the system cache in Download mode - you can only do that in Recovery mode.

If your phone will no longer enter Recovery mode then it's time for you to reload the firmware. If you're familiar with Odin and you know which firmware to flash you can certainly do that and just load an already rooted ROM. I'd recommend using the Kies software on your PC to reload the stock firmware, and once everything is working again then you can worry about re-rooting the phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Great advice. Restoring to stock is a great way to restore the device. Hopefully that gets you back up and running.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Troubleshooter76 View Post

The problem is that Download Mode does work, but Recovery Menu doesn't (nothing happens when I press Volume Up + Home + Power during boot).
    I'm not sure what you mean by pushing these button during boot, but for it to work you have to do this with the phone completely powered OFF. Pull the battery, if necessary, to make sure it's off. Then reinstall the battery, but don't turn the phone on.

Press and HOLD volume UP, home and power at the same time. Hold all three until you see the word Samsung, then release all three buttons immediately. If you release a little too soon or too late, the phone will boot normally, so try again.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Default Re: Galaxy S3 is stuck at Samsung logo splash screen

Galaxy S3 is stuck at Samsung logo splash screen. I was texting, sent the message and the phone just displayed the Galaxy logo. It won't go off, won't do anything. I tried the volume+ Home and off button, it just disappears but when I let it go it just comes back. Had no issues at all with my phone. Done usual take it apart 10 million times but no change. Please someone help. TIA

Default Re: Galaxy S3 is stuck at Samsung logo splash screen

Quote Originally Posted by Helpseeker View Post
    Done usual take it apart 10 million times but no change.
    You took the battery out for a minute or so, replaced it and when you press (just) the Power button the phone begins to boot but stops at the Samsung logo?
    If you repeat those steps but instead press and hold the Volume Up and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when see the Samsung splash screen, what happens?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for your help, but I have given up trying to soft unbrick my phone.

Iíve always tried to enter recovery mode exactly the way meyerweb described, to no avail. However, I can get into download mode and I've already tried many unbricking procedures using ODIN, but none of them have worked.

I'm deciding whether I'll replace the main motherboard or not.

I'll keep up posting.

I can't remember from the other thread that you posted in if you've tried using the Kies software instead? I've successfully used it to restore from rooted/alternate recovery; from CarbonRom; from rooted/stock recovery; and just to overwrite the existing image.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I have already tried that, but Kies won't recognize my phone anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I can't remember from the other thread that you posted in if you've tried using the Kies software instead? I've
    successfully used it to restore from rooted/alternate recovery; from CarbonRom; from rooted/stock recovery; and just to overwrite the existing image.

If the phone is in Download mode and you use the second item in the Tools menu ("Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation" if I remember correctly), it doesn't matter if Kies shows that "trying to connect" message - it'll let you proceed through the dialogs where you enter the model number and IMEI and perform the firmware update.

My s3 hasnt been modified in any way and this same thing just happened. please let me know if you find a solution...

Zach,
    What have you already tried:
    - battery pull?
    - clear system cache in Recovery mode?
    - turn phone completely off, plug phone in and look for charging graphic - when it shows at least 50% try turning on?

Had the same issue with my phone... Took me long time to figure it out but I got it......tried everything ( Odin, haimdall, Tool kit 7) but in the end the only thing that worked was Samsung Kies. Lost my data because I didn't periodicly back up. Learned my lesson.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    If the phone is in Download mode and you use the second item in the Tools menu ("Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation" if I remember correctly), it doesn't matter if Kies shows that "trying to connect" message - it'll let you proceed through the dialogs where you enter the model number and IMEI and perform the firmware update.

*This worked! The key is to enter the model number and s/n (serial number)! I didn't do that at first because I was thinking that it would have to connect. I sat around for ages, and restarted several times to get this to happen to no avail. But, I finally really read what GSDer (lovely dog in user pic) suggested, and just did the way that asked for my model number and s/n. I'm saved. Thanks GSDer!!!

I have this problem too.

All of a sudden today, after about 3 days of my phone shutting itself off randomly and restarting. Its stuck on the "Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300" screen. Even when i pull the battery out, it automatically turns back onto the same screen and stays there. The recovery mode doesnt work. it just flashes the same thing up. I tried the odin thingy (i know nothing about phones) but it just says "downloading... do not turn target off" and bloody doesn't do anything else there.

Please help!!! I dont want my phone to cark it...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbale View Post
    I tried the odin thingy but it just says "downloading... do not turn target off" and bloody doesn't do anything else there.
    What you refer to as the 'Odin thingy' is Download mode - it's SUPPOSED to just sit there, waiting for you to connect it to your PC via USB so that you can download a ROM to it.

I'm not going to repeat the earlier instructions - just read through the thread and follow the instructions to use the Kies software to reload the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian4 View Post
    *This worked! The key is to enter the model number and s/n (serial number)! I didn't do that at first because I was thinking that it would have to connect. I sat around for ages, and restarted several times to get this to happen to no avail. But, I finally really read what GSDer (lovely dog in user pic) suggested, and just did the way that asked for my model number and s/n. I'm saved. Thanks GSDer!!!
    how did you type this out? kies keeps asking me to "Please check the model name and enter it".
    My model no: GT-I900 and the S/N:RF1D15QDPKV

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil Sooknandan View Post
    My model no: GT-I900 and the S/N:RF1D15QDPKV
    Is that what it shows under the battery? I can't find any reference to a 'GT-I900', although there is a 'GT-I9000'.

Only just seen this, months too late, but I have a fix that involves no hard or soft resetting and no loss of data or anything... and it takes 5 seconds.

The loop you're stuck in is to do with 'charge mode'. Happens when the charger is removed at the wrong moment. Simply follow the steps below:

1. Remove battery
    2. Insert charger cable (with battery still NOT in phone)
    3. Insert battery

That's it. The phone now registers that there is a charger connected and continues in 'charge mode', and can be awoken with the power button as usual. Everything will be as you left it. I was so sad to read this thread and see so many people losing their data for nothing!

This problem has happened to me a few times, owing to poor quality cables (the ones that come with Kindle Fires...) that occasionally fluctuate, short or bend pins.

HEY GUYS THIS WORKS get it to the boot logo by pressing volume up+home+power keys at the same time once you are at the boot logo do this Volume down+home+power keys at the same time and it says "DOWNLOADING DO Not Turn OFF Target" and then it gets back to normal.

I left my phone all night.. still w/ the screen said downloading.. i'm supermad right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuan Mai View Post
    I left my phone all night.. still w/ the screen said downloading
    Once the phone is in Download mode it will stay there until: the battery dies; you remove the battery; or you actually complete a firmware download.

To perform a firmware update here's an overview of what to do:
    - if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
    - put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
    - connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
    -- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
    - in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
    - the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Thanked by 3:
    Loyalar, Mina Qu1 and Celeste Teo like this.

hey same thing happened to my cell phone it is stuck to the logo and not working i am really worried i cant enter in recovery mode but in download mode i can.. so i followed ur instructions about firmware upgrade everything worked fine it downloaded all updates from server to laptop but when it was downloading those updates to my cell phone a message appeared that it could not recognize any device and i must connect it to a device .. but my device was actually connected to it .. i don't know what to do
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast