NFC for Metro PCS version of the S3?

slagman5

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I was asked by my friend to help her decide on a new smartphone. I helped her buy a used in "like new" condition S3 with the Metro PCS branding. I wanted to see how well it would pair with my BlackBerry Music Gateway in my car using the NFC, and to my surprise, her S3 doesn't have an NFC antenna under the batter cover... Apparently Metro PCS sells them with generic plastic back covers without the NFC antenna. My question is, would she get NFC if she buys a S3 back cover with the antenna? Or did Metro lock it out of the software as well? Also, I heard that Androids have something with a unique code for the batteries, so that might be something else that could interfere with her getting NFC?? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks. :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like the U.S. version of the phone, NFC capability is in the battery itself, not the back plastic cover. There's NOTHING in the back cover.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

slagman5

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok, thanks for the input. It's just weird because I see what I think are the contacts for the NFC antenna on the phone. I'll check the settings on her phone again to see if I was doing something wrong. Thanks. :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a picture handy, but if you're referring to a pair of contacts near the battery compartment, those are for a wireless charging solution: you can replace the back plastic cover with one that has a charging coil embedded in it, and the coil makes contact with those contacts and charges the battery that way.

Look on her battery - you should see the NFC logo (if it's an original Samsung battery).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Juvie83

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in this, please someone with a Metro gs3 and NFC, post and tell us what it took

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

slagman5

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a picture handy, but if you're referring to a pair of contacts near the battery compartment, those are for a wireless charging solution: you can replace the back plastic cover with one that has a charging coil embedded in it, and the coil makes contact with those contacts and charges the battery that way.

Look on her battery - you should see the NFC logo (if it's an original Samsung battery).

Awesome, I'll definitely take a look at it. She bought it second hand from someone. It's in like new condition, I don't see any scratches or anything, so hopefully it's still rocking the original battery...

I forgot about the whole wireless charging craze... I honestly don't even have room on my desk for a charging mat, I just plug my phone in, and it's no problem because I keep my charger plugged in and the end sits right next to where my mouse is, so when I get home and sit on the PC, plug in the phone, good to go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad