Notification Icon Question

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a quick question about my wifi notification icon. I've seen screenshots posted from other S3's that show data arrows on their wifi icon. Mine does not have that...it is just a static icon that only changes based upon signal strength. Is there anyway (without installing a custom rom) to change the icon to show the data arrows? Below is a picture of what I'm talking about.

I'm rooted and on stock rom with Virgin Mobile.

2akmlw2.jpg

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe those arrows just show data is uploading our downloading. Do you have any apps running and using Wi-Fi?

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine does not have that
I'm not sure what I'm missing, but your Wi-Fi icon looks just like mine: there are two little arrows beneath the curved signal strength portion.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're looking for? There may be a 3rd party app that replaces the stock Wi-Fi icon.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
What I posted before was not a screenshot from my phone. That is from another Galaxy S3. Mine looks the same except it doesn't include the little arrows beneath the signal strength portion of the WIFI icon. The screenshot that I originally posted IS what I am looking for.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, makes sense now.

Which link did you follow to root your phone? Was it just a root exploit or did it use Odin to load a pre-rooted ROM? If the latter, it's possible that they threw in some UI tweaks, that being one of them.

I can't imagine that Virgin Mobile would have made a change like that, but then Verizon always has to get their fingers in the pie. What model/carrier did the phone originally come from?

Finally, it seems like I've run across apps that will allow you to customize various portions of the Status bar - have you looked into that?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, makes sense now.

Which link did you follow to root your phone? Was it just a root exploit or did it use Odin to load a pre-rooted ROM? If the latter, it's possible that they threw in some UI tweaks, that being one of them.

I can't imagine that Virgin Mobile would have made a change like that, but then Verizon always has to get their fingers in the pie. What model/carrier did the phone originally come from?

Finally, it seems like I've run across apps that will allow you to customize various portions of the Status bar - have you looked into that?

I used a link from a different android forum website to do the actual rooting. It was just a root exploit...I still have stock rom (the only other change is that I have a custom recovery).

I bought the phone directly from Virgin Mobile.

I've tried at least one (ROM Toolbox Pro), and while it allows you to change the various icons (wifi, etc.), I couldn't seem to find the ability to have one that included data arrows. Plus, when I tried it, I got a warning that there may be problems trying to make changes because I'm not running a deodexed rom.

I don't really want to change roms as I'm happy with the phone otherwise...it is a minor irritation. Of course, if you or anyone else have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site