Samsung Galaxy S3 charging problem

Texyy

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I am about to throw this thing out the window, I have bought several car/outlet chargers and can't seem to get a "solid" connection in order to charge the phone. New Battery too, this just started within the last month. Right now my battery is dead and I can't get it charged. This morning I woke up with an "android" looking green thing on it that said "downloading". I don't have a clue what the heck its even downloading. Any idea? Whatever it is downloading isn't going to download properly with the phone going on and off. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I don't root my phone or any of that stuff. I'm clueless what all that means :)

executiveg

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I am about to throw this thing out the window, I have bought several car/outlet chargers and can't seem to get a "solid" connection in order to charge the phone. New Battery too, this just started within the last month. Right now my battery is dead and I can't get it charged. This morning I woke up with an "android" looking green thing on it that said "downloading". I don't have a clue what the heck its even downloading. Any idea? Whatever it is downloading isn't going to download properly with the phone going on and off. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I don't root my phone or any of that stuff. I'm clueless what all that means :)

I have the same problem with my note 2. It will only charge to 67%. This also started a month ago also. It must be something with the android OS.i have 5 batterys and many charges and it wont charge also. I have 3 external chargers that I bought online to charge the batterys and they charge to 100%.

Did u try goin to your phone carrier?

Iam gettin pissed off also.
Everyone with a iphone is telling me to get a iphone but after there update to the new IO7 there batterys drain fast also and they charge there phone mnay times of the day. Also I hate apple/rip offs and there storage problem. So not worth changing over. Hopefully someone finds the solution to this.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2.SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums .

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This morning I woke up with an "android" looking green thing on it that said "downloading".
That's generally not a good sign - in order to get out of Download mode you'll need to pull the battery. You should leave it out for a couple of minutes, then put it back in BUT DO NOT TURN THE PHONE ON YET.

With the phone still off, connect a charger and you should see a battery graphic showing the phone charging. Let it charge to at least 50% before going on.

Note that if you don't get a battery graphic, or if you have to wiggle the charger cable where it plugs into the phone to get the phone to charge, you either have a problem with the charger/cable or with the micro-USB port on the phone. If you've tried other chargers/cables and have the same problem then it's the port on the phone. At this point there are only a few options:
1. Purchase a wireless charging solution, which bypasses the nonfunctional port
2. Get an external charger and swap batteries in and out
3. Get someone to replace the port (iffy at best)
4. Send it to Samsung for repair
I'd suggest the first option if it comes down to one of those choices.

If you manage to get the battery charged, go ahead and turn it on. Hopefully it boots normally - if, instead, it boots up in Download mode, come back here for the next steps.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Jimblywee

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Just to update, I cracked my screen and had it replaced. I wondered if there was too much drain from the old screen which might have been causing the problem, so this was the ideal circumstance to check this hypothesis.

No.

I had the phone on charge all night with screen off but the wifi on. It was at 80% when I went to bed; when I woke up it was at 15%. I turned it off and plugged it in again.

It recharged to 100% in 90 minutes! It conclude must be O/S related. Holding out for 4.3 in the faint hope it may fix the problem.

Orlan2

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
having the very same problem here, it just started to happen randomly, i didn't installed any new app, or made any changes to my actual configuration on the phone, it does charge too slow now, something it even decharges while taking charge what and irony, sometimes it does charge at the normal supposed rate, but most of the times its really really slow, I've as well tried with many different chargers getting the same results, tried another battery as well, this is driving me nuts, coz my phone is most of the times dying or asking to be connected to a charger :(

Fakhr E Alam

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
@Orlan2
Mine phone had the same issue, it started randomly and then would charge perfect sometimes while sometimes would charge so slow that it would start reducing charge. I took it to the customer care center and when they opened the phone they found out that the charging port of my phone had been damaged due to water (sweat actually) . So I reckon you need to take it to repair center to find out further details.

Orlan2

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
@Orlan2
Mine phone had the same issue, it started randomly and then would charge perfect sometimes while sometimes would charge so slow that it would start reducing charge. I took it to the customer care center and when they opened the phone they found out that the charging port of my phone had been damaged due to water (sweat actually) . So I reckon you need to take it to repair center to find out further details.

thats not cool at all :/, i'll take it to a repair center then thanks for the advice.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I recommend buying batteries off Amazon. Cheap and effective. I have this same problem. Picked up 2 extra batteries and a charger for $21. Simply fixed my problem and actually improved my experience. Never have to wait for a phone to charge. It dies pop the next battery in and put the others on the charger.

Pablo S3

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok just to add my experience to all the reports going on here. I bought s3's for my wife and myself less than a month ago. My phone is working fine, hers has the charging issues everyone is reporting here. Its NOT the battery (her battery charges fine in my phone) its NOT anything to do with chargers, usb cables or the like (they all work perfectly for mine) so my only assumption is its a hardware or software issue. I bought the phones from different suppliers so its likely they are from different 'batches'. with regards to people talking about cleaning the usb port my input would be the I take my phone to work and frequently have got metal swarf and dust in it whereas my wifes port by comparison looks as clean as the day it was bought. I have more apps that run in the background than her so my battery drain should be worse than hers, so there you have it. Forget the battery, forget the chargers. This problem sits firmly with Samsung either making duff batches of phones in some way or ****ing up the software. Needless to say I'm unimpressed as I bought her a new phone to rectify a very similar problem with her old s2.

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought s3's for my wife and myself less than a month ago.
Depending on where you bought them (Costco, for example) some places have a very liberal exchange policy. You could ask for a brand new replacement or even a different model (Moto X; LG G2; heck, get a refund and buy a Nexus 5).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For S3 your charger/dock must be 0.35A
Not sure where you got this from - my original Samsung Desktop Dock Station is 5V @ 1.0A.

The original Samsung Travel Adapter that came with the phone is 5V @ 1.0A.

The only real circumstance where you'll be running less current is if you connect the USB cable to a computer, in which case you're limited to 0.5A (or 500 mA if you prefer) by the USB 2.0 specification (or 0.9A/900 mA for USB 3.0). http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Please don't spread inaccurate information.

cheeki

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
After a software update, I'm having the same issue.

My phone charged from a hard outlet, completely shut down, plugged in from 5p-7a and got to a whopping 56%. The day before, it dropped from 56% to 18% in 2 hours.

Any solutions other than purchasing spare batteries & chargers?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My phone charged from a hard outlet, completely shut down, plugged in from 5p-7a and got to a whopping 56%.
If the phone is turned completely off it should take no more than a couple of hours to fully charge the battery if you're using a 1A wall charger, and no more than four hours if you're using a USB port.

You didn't mention how old the phone/battery is, so it's possible that the battery is just dying.

Also possible that there's something wrong with either the charger or cable (or both).

And maybe the micro-USB port on the phone is failing.

Can't tell without additional information and trial-and-error checking. Is the phone getting hot when it's charging?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

John Keogh

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
This is a funny one for some reason the only way i can charge mine fast is if i use my ps4 a wall charger is really slow and a pc even more so ..Anyone have a answer for this ???

davidlooi

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Everything you mention above i had tried all it won't help. Still keep draining even though is charging but percentage didn't go up.
Odd case is i had tried to used my friend same model phone battery to put in my phone where i had battery drained issue with same charger within 1 minute it up 2%l!! Funny huh???! Even i buy a new battery put into my phone it stated charging but keep to draining!!!!!. Conclusion is i had change battery, downgrade firmware 4.3 to 4.1, change charger and wipe out everything still won't get better!!!! :mad:_@:
Any solution please feel free to assist me.God bless

- - - Updated - - -

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante