Amoled screen burn in fix (need second opinion)

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
So I've read online that displaying a pure white image for a few hours should fix or greatly reduce burn in on LCD displays. Obviously, I have an amoled display. I was just worried that if I did this to fix my minor screen burn in (which is the outline of the keyboard from writing so many posts and replies on this site) that it could damage the screen further and make the burn in worse. So, do you think is a safe thing to do? I've read that it has worked for many amoled displays but I want to be sure

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Heya Droid. Have you read that it worked for S3 displays? I'd be real careful, as you are being. You don't want to make it worse.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Heya Droid. Have you read that it worked for S3 displays? I'd be real careful, as you are being. You don't want to make it worse.

Not specifically for the s3 but I have read about it working for the s2 and some of the DROID devices. I'm going to let it run for about an hour today and make sure nothing bad is happening. If it's fixed, then I'll leave it alone. If it isn't, I might let it run for a couple hours (no more than 3). It is on warranty if anything does go wrong.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I have been running the white screen for a while now and the burn in is slowly going away. The colors are fine and everything seems to work alright. I'll report back after I run it through the night.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
As of today it's still viewable but only slightly on a white screen. I have to look for it to find it. I think I'll leave it the way it is because it doesn't seem to be improving anymore. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it did. I can only sometimes see it on white screens (most of my apps I set to dark mode because I like it better). This has definitely been a lesson though, I'm sticking with LCD if possible from now on. It kind of reminds me of the mura effect issue with amoled (which my phone suffers from at night during the perfect conditions). I don't like it, but it's not a deal breaker.

Ramon Mello

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
For how long did you keep it running the white screen? I'm about to complete 1 hour on, and I'm not noticing any improvement. The task bar and the keyboard are still visible on the screen :'(

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
For how long did you keep it running the white screen? I'm about to complete 1 hour on, and I'm not noticing any improvement. The task bar and the keyboard are still visible on the screen :'(

A total of 12 hours. Apparently it's pretty much permanent due to the organic materials used in the screens. The only way you could solve it is evenly burning all of the pixels to that level (which would take a while and is practically impossible). I've been doing a little reading on it. If it isn't terrible, I would just keep the phone. My device doesn't bother me that much. It's a lot better than playing Russian roulette with the Samsung replacement center. I'll probably sell it on eBay for $200 this December and pick up the HTC one. It really pisses me off that amoled has this problem.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
A warning! Don't do the white screen thing! I just saw this!

The white screen thing is what is done for LCD, not AMOLED screens.

"Unlike LCDs, OLED burn-in cannot be 'washed out' by displaying a complete white screen for an hour or two. A white image on an LCD causes the crystals to relax, thereby alliviating the problem of image retention when showing constant items such as desktop icons or status / task bars. But on an OLED screen, a white picture will cause more wear and degredation of the light emitting diodes".

I found this from the Web, just a heads up. Use an app to fix this like I am (and it seems to be improving a little).

The app I am currently using is linked here and it IS improving the issue https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.rane.screentestfix&token=pLKJRcZF I'm trying to find information for why this works, so I'll add more when I find the proper information. Apparently most displays only have ghosting, and not actual "burn in". It can go away after a while from what I'm reading (but I can't prove this is 100% true at the moment).

Update: this app works by evenly using all the colors of the pixels, leveling the display colors. I just hope it solves the issue

Last edited:

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I've determined the screen burn in issue can't be fixed, so I'll be bringing it up to my at&t store this weekend to have it swapped out (I have their mobile protection plan for this very sort of thing). Hopefully everything goes well. Now all I have to do is return it to stock, what fun

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
So I walked into the AT&T store today to explain my problem and hopefully have it swapped out. All they did was explain it was covered by warranty and gave me a number to call. What a waste of my time to take the 20 minute drive down there. I called up AT&T to get the replacement out (which is being shipped today) but it took 6 transfers to get to a person who could help me. Oh well, at least they're sending a new one out. For anybody with screen burn in, definitely call your carrier.

carhopper

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to bring up a relatively old thread but I found this through a google search so it's still viable for people having the problem. As others have said, OLED has organic material in each pixel that physically burns or deteriorates over time, similar to Plasma. If you have a pattern burned into the pixels, the best fix if you must is to put up the offending screen, take a screen shot, and make a negative image. That way you aren't further burning the bad pixels, but you are burning the other pixels around it to make the burn less apparent. Just know that your screen will never be the same. OLED is a wonderful technology. I've watched it develop over the years. It's still not near ready for the pro AV market, but it's awesome for low power infrequent use like phones.

jakethomas97

May 6, 2014
Visit site
agreed, and you brought up some good points. The negative image is quite popular nowadays. I have a plasma and get used to burn in. I turn the screen off if I walk away for anything longer than just taking out the trash, and when I come back after 10 minutes of dinner, if I forgot to turn it off, it resets itself after about 30 minutes.

Now this plasma screen is the older type, back from 2006. still works today with no replacements! fan's kinda loud haha

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I dropped my galaxy s3 and the screen is super discolored now, would the white screen help with that?
Probably not. You can put the phone into Test mode (dial *#0*# in the Dialer) and try the Red, Blue and Green patterns to see how things look, but I'm guessing that you're going to have to replace the screen assembly.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

megn806

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
So I walked into the AT&T store today to explain my problem and hopefully have it swapped out. All they did was explain it was covered by warranty and gave me a number to call. What a waste of my time to take the 20 minute drive down there. I called up AT&T to get the replacement out (which is being shipped today) but it took 6 transfers to get to a person who could help me. Oh well, at least they're sending a new one out. For anybody with screen burn in, definitely call your carrier.

I called AT&T today regarding my Galaxy S5's screen burn, and they told me that if the burn was on the LED, it would not be covered under warranty. However, if it was a burn on the glass, they could send me a replacement. They suggested I go to the nearest AT&T store to have a professional check to see if its on the LED or on the glass. Did they replace yours without checking to see what type of burn it was? My warranty runs out in 1 month.

ammar11013

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
So I've read online that displaying a pure white image for a few hours should fix or greatly reduce burn in on LCD displays. Obviously, I have an amoled display. I was just worried that if I did this to fix my minor screen burn in (which is the outline of the keyboard from writing so many posts and replies on this site) that it could damage the screen further and make the burn in worse. So, do you think is a safe thing to do? I've read that it has worked for many amoled displays but I want to be sure

What is wrong with my s4 burn in even i can't enjoy movies that much burn in i have may be it is refurbished i don't know so any solution? Just tried screen adjuster for more whiteness whoch fixed it partially but makes my phone lagy any other tips? Thanks!.