New S3 - Samsung Says Beyond Economical Repair

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello All.

Hoping that others that may have been through this can help point me in the right direction on an issue that I am having with Samsung. I am in disbelief as to how I am being treated.

I purchased a new S3. Approximately 4 to 5 weeks after purchase, the phone would no longer charge. I sent it into Samsung for repair in Texas. A couple of days later they sent the same phone back, saying that it was beyond repair. I called customer service and was told that the phone was abused and that it was basically my problem, and they stated that even if I wanted to pay for it, it would not be repaired. I was in shock as to what I heard, as the phone has been treated perfectly. Never dropped, never near water, always in a case and treated gently. I explained that to the customer service rep, however it completely fell on deaf ears. I asked for a supervisor, but after waiting on hold for exactly one hour, I finally hung up. I pretty sure nobody would have ever come on the line.

Can anyone tell me what options I may have? I am hoping that there is another channel that I can do through to get this resolved. I just don't think it is right that Samsung is basically saying too bad in regard to a phone that is barely more than a month old and is basically in pristine condition.

Thanks!

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd flip the hell out. Call them back and demand a supervisor and wait for the sup.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using AC Forums mobile app

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Tell them you won't tell them what the problem is until you speak to someone with power.

BlakeGates

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh, wow. I'd agree with the guy above me. I'd flip the hell out.

Call earlier in the morning (more higher level supervisors and executives who actually give a damn and can get things done tend to work 1st shift in contrast to a late night manager) and demand to speak to a supervisor. Stay calm, but be stern and assertive and don't curse. Ask for everyone's name and write everything down. Threaten to call the Better Business Bureau for the foul way they are treating a loyal, paying customer. Don't take no for an answer. And if you are put on hold for longer than 10 or 15 minutes for a supervisor, hang up and call right back. There are hundreds of people in those call centers, call back as many times as you need to to find the right person to actually take care of you.

Best of luck! :)

Posted via Android Central App

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Or tell them your in the mafia and it would be in their best interest to fix it for free.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all that have replied. I have really hit a wall with this and not sure what to think. I have called 5 times and made it to a supervisor 4 times. One of these times I supposedly made it to the highest person on the floor at the time (Friday Night). I am in disbelief at the stance that literally every person that I spoke to is taking. They are saying that when a tech rules the phone as Beyond Economical Repair (BER, as they put it), the warranty is voided and there is nothing they can or will do. Period. I am amazed at how cold they have been. I have been extremely professional and calm, explaining that the phone was only 5 to 6 weeks old and treated very gently. Never dropped, banged or anything else. They are saying that a weld in the charging port broke or is separated, so they say that I caused the damage and "abused" the phone, in their words. I am certain that I did not.

Has anyone else run into a "BER" ruling such as this?

Thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there seem to be only a few options left (that don't involve spending large amounts of money):
1. Write a letter of complaint to your local Better Business Bureau
2. Send an email to the Android Central folks explaining what happened and ask them to do an investigative piece/expose on Samsung's repair policies, using your phone as an "example".
(It's not really within the journalistic realm of what AC does, and it might set a bad precedent for them, where everyone and their brother starts getting involved, but that doesn't mean that AC SHOULDN'T be doing real journalism.)
3. Sell the phone for parts, or look on eBay to see if you can buy a replacement mainboard.
4. All of the other high dollar options (class action lawsuit; etc). Hell, you could probably even force them to represent themselves in Small Claims Court!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately there seem to be only a few options left (that don't involve spending large amounts of money):
1. Write a letter of complaint to your local Better Business Bureau
2. Send an email to the Android Central folks explaining what happened and ask them to do an investigative piece/expose on Samsung's repair policies, using your phone as an "example".
(It's not really within the journalistic realm of what AC does, and it might set a bad precedent for them, where everyone and their brother starts getting involved, but that doesn't mean that AC SHOULDN'T be doing real journalism.)
3. Sell the phone for parts, or look on eBay to see if you can buy a replacement mainboard.
4. All of the other high dollar options (class action lawsuit; etc). Hell, you could probably even force them to represent themselves in Small Claims Court!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

The consumerist does pieces like this all the time and people usually see results.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
A bit of an update... With the phone being so new, I decided to take it back to Costco, where I purchased it. I did not expect them to do an exchange given that it had been sent in for repair and now listed as BER. I was pleasantly surprised that Costco was more than willing to do an exchange, based on their 90 day return policy. They stated that the fact that the phone had a charging port issue was not a factor and still eligible for exchange, so I walked out with a new replacement. I was completely and fully above board with them, explaining the whole charging port and BER issue, but again, no issue for them.

Although this had a good outcome for me thanks to Costco, it is still VERY disappointing that Samsung handled it this way. It is almost like they feel that they can just void a consumers warranty on a whim or at a simple keystroke - with no easy recourse. Scary thought...

Thanks to all who replied!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
A bit of an update... With the phone being so new, I decided to take it back to Costco, where I purchased it. I did not expect them to do an exchange given that it had been sent in for repair and now listed as BER. I was pleasantly surprised that Costco was more than willing to do an exchange, based on their 90 day return policy. They stated that the fact that the phone had a charging port issue was not a factor and still eligible for exchange, so I walked out with a new replacement. I was completely and fully above board with them, explaining the whole charging port and BER issue, but again, no issue for them.

Although this had a good outcome for me thanks to Costco, it is still VERY disappointing that Samsung handled it this way. It is almost like they feel that they can just void a consumers warranty on a whim or at a simple keystroke - with no easy recourse. Scary thought...

Thanks to all who replied!
I would still post about your experience with Samsung on Facebook, Twitter or any other platform. I would also send a letter to key corporate executives.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree, Ricky. I absolutely will. Not sure how much difference I can make, but it will sure make me feel better at least trying to let others know how unethical this is.
Thanks again!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear that Costco honored THEIR commitment to the customer! Looks like it's +1 for Costco on your Facebook post, and not so much for Samsung.
I don't do Facebook (or Twitter or any of that stuff) or I certainly would have visited your page (or whatever it is that people do there) to support you.
Please do follow up with a letter to Samsung (and this Consumerist?) - you're not the only one that's had a less than satisfactory experience with their repair side of the house.

Volume Dealer

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got back my phone,and it went to Samsung for the EXACT SAME REASON,and the paper that came back said THE SAME EXACT EXCUSE.

It wasn't water damage.The phone itself worked fine,and USB port was the problem not charging.

The Repair description saying You're phone is beyond repair. FAIL Description: "Corrosion,Liquid Damage."

Is this Samsung's sneaky way to get out of their warranty obligations?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I would have to say there are enough reports of lousy Samsung service and failure to repair phones that I might think twice about buying a Samsung phone next time. Combine that with Know, and I'm pretty sure my next phone won't be from Samsung.

Caleb Kruse

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Here's what you do: Make sure you have some time. Basically, stay on the phone with one person. Don't let them transfer you around from department to department. Wear them out with kindness. Basically, you're hoping they'll budge. You're hoping they'll find it easier to just give you what they owe you, rather than to stay on the phone with you. You prove to them you're smart. You're not giving up. They'll eventually see, if enough people do this, they're wasting far more on customer service phone calls than they're making back by denying repairs. Follow a script like the following.

First, get the name of the representative you're speaking with. Establish accountability.

Ask them if they can be who you speak to in future regards of the conversation. (otherwise they'll transfer you all over the place)

Ask them which department they're in. Which location. Joke around. Talk about the weather. Establish good rapport and be respectful to them. Don't raise your voice or get angry. If you do, it will only hurt your chances.

Say; Have there ever been exceptions made by the technicians to reevaluate a phone that has been declared BER? If so, what exceptions have been made in the past? If not, Would they ever consider making any?

Could there be instances when a phone appears to have been physically damaged even when it actually wasn't? How does your warranty account for such instances?

If necessary, tell them which service ticket ID it is regarding. Continue asking questions. Say:

I've read about other people experiencing this same issue. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. I know you must deal with a lot of angry people. And people who aren't being honest. So, I understand your pain. But unfortunately, it's an inconvenience to me because those dishonest customers have made a bad name for all customers, even though I'm not like them. I'm not angry, nor am I dishonest. So, if possible, please try to see that I'm not your average upset person. Rather, someone with the unfortunate circumstance of having a phone that has unexplainably stopped working.

If it's beyond economical repair, would Samsung be able to replace my phone?

Being that this has been a common complaint among Samsung customers, and being that I haven't physically abused my phone, is there any way we could meet in the middle? Perhaps you could trade my phone in for a refurbished phone?

Being that there appears to be some doubt from your technicians about the validity of my complaint, perhaps you could offer me a less expensive phone in place of my phone. Perhaps Samsung might be willing to offer me a replacement phone of an older version. Anything would be better than having nothing. Perhaps an S2 or a phone of lesser value?

Perhaps Samsung might agree to pay for some of the repair, being that it's your warranty that is partially at fault?

Are there any other ways that Samsung will meet in the middle for its unsatisfied customers? Perhaps a special offer or a discount in the future?

Would Samsung be willing to consider creating some type of offer for its customers who are dealing with this same problem, being that there are many of us, representing a large portion of potential future business for your company? Perhaps not a repair, but something else as a gesture of good faith on your end that you at least hear our concerns and are willing to give us some benefit of the doubt? By that I mean, could you perhaps offer us some type of points that can be used towards other Samsung products?

Keep offering them alternatives that are more difficult than actually repairing the phone.

Maybe if you can't help me here today, you can personally be my advocate with whichever department within your organization that can be of help?

Ask your rep: Who can you talk to personally to see that this issue is being addressed? Can you talk to the repair technicians personally?

Can you please bring this matter to your supervisor? I would appreciate knowing that the customer's concerns are being taken seriously.

Would it be possible to have 3-way call? Maybe a conference call with whom it may concern? If you yourself feel powerless to help me in this matter, isn't that a valid concern of yours? Perhaps you can bring that to your supervisor's attention? (Again, be patient and professional).

Say; I've talked with a lot of angry people about this. Many who unfortunately won't be buying Samsung products again. I know you care about your business. And for your company's sake, it's important to know which customers concerns are legitimate and which aren't. I know many of us feel we have legitimate concerns, and we aren't being heard. And, it's not an isolated incident. Rather, a common problem. One that might suggest a recall could be fought for by consumers if enough of them were to unite in pursuit of it. I know some who have gained interest in class action suits, who would be glad to have me on their side. Also, those who are trying to build interest in bringing this matter more attention publicly, as well as to the Better Business Bureau. But I don't believe in taking legal actions right away. I much prefer to try handling issues a simpler way, which is what I'm hoping to do now. I trust that the company will be reasonable once it has heard my concerns. Good reputable businesses usually care about their customers' complaints, and a large business like yours depend on a good reputation to stay in business. So, I'd like to know that in your organization, my matter is being heard. By you, but also by whoever it may concern. I would like to stay in dealing with you about this matter, as I also continue to deal with whoever else in the company I can speak to regarding this concern. You and I will be in close correspondence about the matter. My concern (as well as many of ours), is that we feel there is an error in the warranty, voiding Samsung's obligation to repair items that they should be obligated to fix. Depending on how you choose to address this concern of ours, could do your company either a great service or a disservice. I personally would like to be able to say our talk today went well, and that Samsung is a reasonable company. I would like to be able to say to other potential customers of yours that there is hope when dealing with your company regarding these discrepancies. I want to believe that the rumors I've heard are false, and I want to know I can stop them from spreading further, but before I can do so with good conscience, I need to know your company is a reasonable company. If you can convince me of that today, I'm sure I can convince others the same. I just need your help to do that.

If it would be of help in your convincing, I'd be willing to sign a legal affidavit stating that I haven't abused the phone in any way. No physical abuse or exposure to extreme temperatures. No water damage, etc.

I paid for a phone. It stopped working. I trusted that your warranty was valid. I still do. I believe my phone is an exception. It somehow slipped through the cracks of your system. That's ok. Accidents happen. Now, the next step is fixing the issue. What is Samsung willing to do to in situations like this to uphold its reputation?

I'd like the technicians to show me evidence that the phone was abused. Do they have pictures? If not, I'd like to see pictures. I'd be willing to send my phone back in so that they can reevaluate it and take pictures.

Can I find out which technicians are responsible for determining whether a phone is BER?

Could I request to have an investigation done on that technician's department, being that there are many of us who feel they aren't doing their jobs sufficiently?

How does a technician confirm physical abuse? (who would be able to tell me? Can you contact that person for me?)

Can you explain the warranty to me? I'd like to know where in the warranty it voids my phone's repair, and how it determines whether a phone is beyond economically repairable.

Which location declined my request to have the phone repaired? (who would be able to tell me? Can you contact that person for me?)

If you can't personally get my phone to be repaired, can you please have our current conversation submitted to your quality assurance department for evaluation? (If not, who would be able to do that? Can you contact that person for me?)

Also, if you can't help me today, could you find out who can?

Is there a reference number for our conversation today? Can I have it please? Who can I speak with in order to review your job performance in assisting me today?

Reestablish accountability. By now, you've been on the phone with them, whittling down their defensiveness for an hour or so. Hopefully, they've decided to budge. If not, keep going. Don't let it be easy for them to get away with this.

The end.