1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default SGS3 - Is it possible for a rooted custom ROM to handle Samsung G Gear?

I was wondering if I have a rooted CM 10 based Samsung S3, is it possible for the Samsung Watch to pair with the phone or is it limited to Samsung official firmware users?

Thank you.
    http://sanuja.com | SGH-I747M

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts

Default Re: SGS3 - Is it possible for a rooted custom ROM to handle Samsung G Gear?

From the Gear initial review - Samsung Galaxy Gear initial review | Android Central
    "It's worth noting that you're downloading it directly from Samsung and not Google Play."

You need that Samsung app store to download the tool. Running a custom rom removed this for me, not sure if you can download it again. Also, have they said they would support the S3 for the Gear?
    Thanked by:
    mssca 

Default Re: SGS3 - Is it possible for a rooted custom ROM to handle Samsung G Gear?

It's also worth noting that it's currently only supported on the Galaxy Note 3 - I haven't seen anything that states how far back Samsung is going to go in supporting older devices.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    mssca 

My understanding is that you need Android 4.3 to use the Gear, and I'd be very surprised if it works on non-Touchwiz ROMs. And there are no 4.3 Touchwiz ROMs other than the Note 3.

If you have a Touchwiz-based custom ROM, you can download the stock Samsung apps here: . Depending on just how "custom" the ROM is, they may or may not work. And they may or may not work on 4.3, since they're 4.1.2 versions.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    mssca 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Yep... It looks like we may be install the .apk file once Samsung release the app for the S3. I think they said they will officially update the S4 and S3 in order to work with their smart gear.
    http://sanuja.com | SGH-I747M