Help! Charging animation but not charging!

Mvhoang17

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Alright so this problem is quite a doozie. All you tech heads out there, I need help!

So I have a T-Mobile gs3, rooted, and on the latest version of jellybam. (10.3). When I plug in my charger, the charging animation activates on the battery life indicator in the upper right. Along with this, the charging indicator light goes on for about three seconds and then shuts off. Despite the charging animation being on with the cable plugged in, if I open my battery preferences, it indicates that the phone is not being charged.

As a result, once the phone is plugged in, the battery stays at the same percentage as it had when I started charging the phone. It once stayed at 33% for a whole day.

I've tried everything to fix the problem, updating the rom, switching to a new rom (cyanogenmod), trying different chargers, charging with the phone off, and even replacing the USB port. None of these worked. What can I do?

P. S. I don't want to buy an external battery charger as I want to be able to charge the phone via USB in the car.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright so this problem is quite a doozie. All you tech heads out there, I need help!

So I have a T-Mobile gs3, rooted, and on the latest version of jellybam. (10.3). When I plug in my charger, the charging animation activates on the battery life indicator in the upper right. Along with this, the charging indicator light goes on for about three seconds and then shuts off. Despite the charging animation being on with the cable plugged in, if I open my battery preferences, it indicates that the phone is not being charged.

As a result, once the phone is plugged in, the battery stays at the same percentage as it had when I started charging the phone. It once stayed at 33% for a whole day.

I've tried everything to fix the problem, updating the rom, switching to a new rom (cyanogenmod), trying different chargers, charging with the phone off, and even replacing the USB port. None of these worked. What can I do?

P. S. I don't want to buy an external battery charger as I want to be able to charge the phone via USB in the car.

Welcome to the forums!
Have you tried going completely stock?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there someone that you can swap batteries with, just to eliminate that factor?
When the phone is completely off it still doesn't charge at all? You don't see the battery graphic showing that it's charging?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Mvhoang17

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Indeed I have ruled out the battery. Swapped it out with a friend's. With the phone off, I do get a charging animation but it still won't charge, just stays at the same percentage as always!

Mvhoang17

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! This problem is so frustrating I had to reach out to the community!

Well unfortunately I'm not too save on getting my phone back to stock! It seemed easier jug to root and flash a rom than to go back. Can you send some sort of tutorial? Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
With the phone off, I do get a charging animation but it still won't charge, just stays at the same percentage as always!
That's pretty strange. It sounds like the charging circuit is jacked up, but to eliminate the micro-USB port I'd have to suggest a wireless charging solution - unfortunately, if something is wrong with the phone it'll be throwing good money after bad.

It's all I can think of - sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Asad Malik3

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Is there someone that you can swap batteries with, just to eliminate that factor?
When the phone is completely off it still doesn't charge at all? You don't see the battery graphic showing that it's charging?

sir i have the same prob that u said in this with my sgs2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
sir i have the same prob that u said in this with my sgs2
If your phone is completely off and you connect a charger you don't see the battery graphic? Or it doesn't show the battery charging?

Have you tried a different charger AND cable? Is the cable snug in the micro-USB port?

Have you tried a different battery? I'd imagine by now your original battery is shot.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk