Larger battery or external battery pack?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I want more power. NOt for daily usage, but for when I know i'm going to be on the phone a lot. For instance, I am planning on running the ROcky 50k, aka 30 mile run in December. I'd like to be able to track the run continuously through Runtastic.

The normal battery will not last the 5-6 hours that I plan on taking.
So, my options are a bigger battery, like a Zero Lemon 7000 mah battery.

Or, an external battery pack, that can charge the phone while I'm running through a micro usb.

I'll be running with a backpack or some kind of belt, so size isn't a huge issue.

Are there any pros/cons to either, in your opinion?

I know that the Zero Lemon will be more portable, no cables, thinner than the phone and battery pack combined, etc. However, it'll ONLY work for my s3. So once I switch phones, which I know I eventually will, it'll basically be of no use. Well, I could let my kids use it, play some games, etc.

The external battery pack might be more practical, in that I can use it to charge many things, etc, but is it worth the extra device to carry?

Will it charge faster than my phone uses power?

Any brands you guys recommend for Battery Packs?

Thanks!

Ostrich69

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Check this out on Amazon:

Anker? 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh External Battery Charger World's-Fastest (4A Output) Triple-Port Shake-to-Wake Highest-Energy-efficiency Backup Power Pack for Google Glass, iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPads, Samsung Galaxy Tablets, other Android Smart Phones and Tablets (Apple adapters and Samsung 30-pin adapter not included)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEZBKTO...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3123883

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
thanks, that looks like an awesome battery. seems maybe heavy, but it might be worth it. $10-$15 more than the zero lemon... size worth it? anyone using the zero lemon wishes that they got an external?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The only real downside to the external battery pack is that it'll be bumping around in your pack and may be subject to coming disconnected from the phone. If you wrap some tape around both the phone and battery pack that should help minimize the likelihood of that happening.

There should be plenty of juice in the external battery to keep the phone charged, even with the GPS on and a running app tracking your progress. You may want to consider downloading the map ahead of time so that you can turn mobile data off (depending on what the coverage is like on your route).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Good points. Yeah, I thought about the bouncing part.maybe some kind of Sugru solution to keeping it in place. Although I want to be able to take pics and video, too, so I would need to be able to disconnect it. Hmm... it's an unusual problem to have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i ended up getting this. i'll test this with my running, hopefully it won't be too intrusive. it'll definitely be easier to run with the Zero Lemon, i wouldn't have to deal with the cables. However, in the long run, having a charger that can charge anything will be super helpful.

it's on sale, too.

Amazon.com: Mpow? 12000mAh Backup Battery Portable Charger Power Bank for Cell Phone iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS iPad 4 3 2 Mini iPods Samsung S4 S3 Note 2 S2 S1 i9500 i9300 N7100 Nexus 4 Nexus 7 Nexus 10 Sony L36h L39h Blackberry Z10 Nokia Lumia 920 900 HTC O