Is there any way to change the Samsung UI without rooting?

Unisec

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently customized my GS3 as much as I knew how without rooting, and I was wondering if there was any way to change the Samgsung UI to make it look more like the stock android look. I've been looking all over, but all I'm getting is the basic tips and tricks for customizing. My mom won't let me root and ROM my phone until the warranty runs out, so that's not something I could really do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try Nova Launcher, which is a 3rd party launcher app that is pretty close to vanilla Android, with a number of neat tweaks you can make. No root required, and you can go back to the Samsung launcher easily.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So does Nova still not get you as close to the vanilla Android look that you want? Let us know what part of the UI you'd like to change further.

Unisec

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
So when you go into the settings for example, system apps look a lot different from stock android, and I was wondering if there was any way to change that look without rooting

anon(859166)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
unrelated, I love how people won't touch their phones cause of the TOS. Granted I'm doing something illegal but hey whatever, how will they ever find out?

related... wait it out since your parents are the ones that fund your phone. After the warranty period, sounds like you have to green light. Kind of like waiting for Christmas. btw, IF you make that jump, make sure you do your research and extensively... bricking sucks. Secondly, prior to root, go and nova launcher was the only thing that really made the phone look any different.

"you gotta be a lil crazy to stay sane..."

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
unrelated, I love how people won't touch their phones cause of the TOS. Granted I'm doing something illegal but hey whatever, how will they ever find out?

related... wait it out since your parents are the ones that fund your phone. After the warranty period, sounds like you have to green light. Kind of like waiting for Christmas. btw, IF you make that jump, make sure you do your research and extensively... bricking sucks. Secondly, prior to root, go and nova launcher was the only thing that really made the phone look any different.

I don't think anyone really cares whether or not it's legal, the only issue is the risk of breaking ur device and having to fix it in order to take it back to ur carrier for ur warranty

anon(859166)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is not "illegal." It may void your warranty, but in the U.S. at least it's perfectly legal.

I finally did some research, excuse me for going by hearsay. But like I said, do the research so as to minimize the risk associated with modding. That way if a warranty issue occurs, you can restore to oem without bricking.

Good luck on the modding. After 4 years of having a rooted droid, I finally went to an AOSP Rom and am loving the customizability (liquidsmooth) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox