same phone (new device) can't find files

Jessica Lang

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I broke my old Samsung Galaxy S 3. The screen cracked. I received my new phone today but my music is gone, same with new pics & most of my contacts are there but not recently added. So it appears everything on this phone is from backup. I have the same SD & SIM cards. Where are my files? I'm upset the most about my missing music. Any help? ?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you load the music on your previous phone yourself, or was it pinned (downloaded) from Google Music? If it was downloaded directly from Google Music, that doesn't go to the external SD card--it resides in the internal storage, and is intended to be temporary anyway. If you did load your own music files onto the phone, are you sure you did it on your external SD card, or is it possible you loaded it onto the phone's Internal Storage (sometimes called the Internal SD)? If you remove your external SD card from your phone and plug it into your computer, can you find any of those music files?

The same general idea goes for your pics. If the pics that are missing were taken by the phone's camera, and if it was saving by default to Internal Storage (I'm not sure the S3 camera even has an option to save photos to the external SD), then those photos are gone, unless you backed them up.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure the S3 camera even has an option to save photos to the external SD
There is such a setting - in the Camera app, press the gear icon, scroll down to Storage and select 'Memory card'.
7aqynyru.jpg
I'd also recommend something like Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos (automatically backup pictures/videos to the cloud; 5GB free)

And using the Kies software on your PC to backup your contacts, SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, call logs and TouchWiz settings.

And of course be sure all of your account is being synced with Google.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is such a setting - in the Camera app, press the gear icon, scroll down to Storage and select 'Memory card'.

Thanks for the clarification! I remember seeing some posts about certain Samsung devices that don't have that option--maybe it's the S4?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800