My Galaxy S III won't turn on

TheSquaree

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I've tried leaving the battery out for a day now, left it on charge with and without the battery for a long time and have tried recovery mode - pressing volume UP, home and power button, and my S III still won't turn on. What else could I possibly do?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy S3 won't turn on

I've tried leaving the battery out for a day now, left it on charge with and without the battery for a long time and have tried recovery mode - pressing volume UP, home and power button, and my S III still won't turn on. What else could I possibly do?
Welcome to Android Central. :) So it won't boot into recovery mode?
Have you tried another battery? Had the same issue on my old phone and it wouldn't turn on until I changed the battery completely.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You don't say if the screen shows the charging graphic when you have it connected to the charger.

You also didn't mention what model it is, or how old it is (perhaps sudden death syndrome?).

Finally, you didn't say if you tried Download mode (with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen).

You could try purchasing a JIG on Amazon - that's pretty much the last alternative to get the phone into Download mode. If you can get it in Download mode you can at least reload the stock firmware.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it's time to visit the local carrier store for repair/replacement. Sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

I just changed the battery. It shows that it's charging but after a while, it disconnects and when I try to switch it on again, it restarts from 0%.
Help please

A Campbell

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

My son had this problem. The computer shop said they'd had quite a few people come in this week with the same problem. They said it might of been
caused by an update by the phone. Said they will call him if they find out what the issue is.

Josh Turano

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem last night. My phone had 35% battery and it turned off all of a sudden randomly. now i cant get it to turn on. It only loads the Samsung screen and the Galaxy S3 symbol.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

My phone had 35% battery and it turned off all of a sudden randomly.
It's possible that your battery is suspect. Be sure it has a full charge (charge it with the phone completely off) before powering on again.

If that doesn't help, see if you can boot into Recovery mode or Download mode.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Bokaa6

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

I have the same problem with my phone.. pls help me .. what i should do? my phone was charging all night and still doesnt show anything

Jusri Rahman

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

Hi.. im using the Samsung Galaxy 3 using Malaysia Carrier, Celcom
yesterday, after upgrading the jelly bean, my S3 cannot turn on..keep stuck at SAMSUNG logo.even 100% battery, still cannot on
even after i hold the home+volume+off and select wipe cache,even wipe data, still canot turn on

pity me

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I do - unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem.

You have two basic options (well, three):
1. Take the phone back to your carrier and get them to fix it - it was their update that caused the problem (not sure how far you'll get with this, or how long it'll take, but it's worth a try)
2. Use the Kies software on your computer to reload the firmware
3. If we can find the firmware online you can use a tool called Odin to reload the firmware (Edit: the only firmware I could find for Malaysia is http://samsung-updates.com/details/23424/Galaxy_S_3_International/GT-I9300/XME/I9300XXUGML3.html - it didn't specify which carrier it was for)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the download thing it helped but... how long does it take to install when its downloading do not turn off target plz quik reply
Are you referring to my description of how to enter Download mode from post #3? If so, that doesn't do anything by itself - you have to connect the phone to a computer and run something like Odin or Kies to actually download anything.

The phone will just sit there in Download mode until the battery dies.

You might want to start by describing your problem, the phone model/carrier/region/firmware, and what you've already tried.

Does the phone boot into Recovery mode? (It's just like Download mode but you press Volume Up rather than Volume Down.)

Andrew9mb

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys,

So today I was at school and my wifi on my phone doesn't work (problem with the current ROM installed on it. Hasn't been an issue because turning on airplane mode and turning it off again seems to get the wifi to connect), which is common, but the phones battery was dying a little bit faster than usual so I thought a reboot may help. So I hold down the power button and in my ROM (task650 for ATT Samsung Galaxy S3) there is an option for reboot. It always works, so I chose reboot like usual and let it do its business. Put it in my pocket, take it out later to find that the phone will not turn on at all. Strange. So I took the battery out, put it back in, and it still didnt turn on. It will make it to the "Samsung" logo, but not the custom kernel splash image or the boot animation from the custom ROM. I always keep a spare battery on me fully charged and so I tried the spare and still, the same thing occurred. It would not load past the samsung logo. I tried putting it in recovery mode, it still wont go past the samsung logo (but shows "recovery loading..." in blue font in the top left hand corner so I know it is attempting to load recovery). I also tried putting the phone in download mode and when it gets to the warning part and the options to push up or down it simply shuts off.

All of those options above have since been repeated as well with the use of charging the phone too. So I don't think it is the battery. Nor is it the charger. If I put the charger in without the battery in, it shows the battery bar for a split second and shuts off.

I'm honestly baffled at what is going on with this phone. I have done nothing different to it lately and a simple reboot should not have made this happen as far as I can tell. I have not dropped the phone or gotten water damage with it at all today. Its simply dying.

Does anyone know what there is to do? I can't take it to the carrier because it is rooted. My contract is almost up meaning the warranty is most likely gone as well (as if they would fix it knowing I rooted it anyway). Nothing seems to work that I have tried. The phone simply wont stay on long enough to do anything at all.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I also tried putting the phone in download mode and when it gets to the warning part and the options to push up or down it simply shuts off.
Is it shutting off or restarting?
If it won't stay in Download mode you really don't have many options - the only thing I can think of is a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/)