Replaced screen but touch does not work

cherek

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my S3 and shattered the screen. Luckily it still worked fine. Did some research and saw I could replace the screen myself, so I did. Now the touchscreen does not work, and I know something is off because the colors on the screen are not quite right. I followed all the directions, and even mimicked several video demos, so I don't know what I did wrong. Any help is appreciated. If I have to replace the whole digitizer, then I might as well replace the entire thing, which of course I don't want to do. Thanks.

cherek

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, but I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to why it didn't work? I chose not to have the whole thing replaced professionally (since it would cost almost as much as replacing the whole phone) but I'm hoping that I can at least make this cheap solution work until I'm eligible for upgrade. Thanks. :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There are other threads where it's been discussed, and if you look online you'll find lots of videos that deal with the difficulty and issues afterwards.

Mainly:
- the glass is glued to the digitizer, and it's difficult to get the glass off without damaging the touch screen. It requires heating the glass to separate it from the digitizer, and if you're not very careful you can mess up the touch screen in the process.
- gluing the new glass on the digitizer presents its own difficulties, getting the bubbles out and again not damaging the digitizer in the process
- you really can't test everything until it's all back together, and more often than not there seems to be a loss in touch sensitivity or touch accuracy after this process

$165 for a replacement screen assembly is alot cheaper than $500 for a new phone, although I'd guess you could find a used phone on eBay for less than $165 and just snag the screen assembly and sell the rest for parts.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

cherek

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I did find a link that described the "silicone" layer that is between the glass and digitizer, and from what I can tell that's the only thing I would need to make this work properly. But that's not something that I can find. No loss though, since my screen was so badly shattered I wouldn't have been able to remove the front while keeping that adhesive intact.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you replace the entire screen assembly, including glass, LCD and digitizer, or did you replace only the glass? Do you have a link to the part you bought?

If you replaced the entire assembly as a unit, I'd check to make sure all the connectors are attached correctly and are tight.

If you only replaced the glass, but not the digitizer, you can do the same thing, but it's very, very hard to separate the component parts without damaging them.

UtCollector

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
I to did have the proplem that my screen did not respont any more. I did reopen the tablet. I reinstalled the cable that is connected to the screen to the bord. I did have to flip open the back site of the connector. In my case a wite part. Then i did slide back in the cable. Closed the connector. Note the wite line on the cable must be almost completly in the connector!!!! (Before i did have the witeline outside the connector) You can find all about fixing a non responding screen on youtube. Just search: tablet touch screen problem. It will show you how to connect flatbad cables. Atfter that i did restart the tablet. The screen did not work right away. I did some tapping with mij fingers on it and than it did respond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith