4.3 android update discontinued

DonMags1

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've read in a different forum that Samsung will discontinue the roll out of android 4.3 because of the bugs. etc. Battery life, lock screen issues, unresponsive. Is this true?

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm there are bugs in the update. I am having those problems but not sure about the discontinued rollout

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AC Forums mobile app

KaitRoo

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the new update today and it does have some issues.
I haven't experienced the lock screen bug or lagging issues, if anything my phone was lagging majorly before the update, as well as giving me random word suggestions when trying to type.

Now I'm having issues removing resurrected email download notifications from the menu bar, they won't go and it's driving me insane! The other glitch I had was the keytap sound, it was turned off in the sound settings but still kept clicking when I typed, I found that it was listed in another menu as well under "Samsung keyboard" so managed to cure that issue!

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S3

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

rizzymo

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is crazy. They skip 4.2 because of issues. Now 4.3 have the same issues. Its safe to say, when they say they are testing these updates, they are lying!!!!

Posted via Android Central App

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I've just received the 4.3 update to unlocked S3 in the UK. Nothing adverse to report.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
This is crazy. They skip 4.2 because of issues. Now 4.3 have the same issues. Its safe to say, when they say they are testing these updates, they are lying!!!!

Posted via Android Central App
That's so true. I think most manufactures don't see much of profit gain by pushing updates on time. Once the equipment is sold, the only reason they do these updates to keep the customer coming back for the next device.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Nexus will definitely get you updates faster. OTOH, you give up some of the features that enhance other phones. There's no free lunch.

Personally, my phone works great with 4.1.2 (rooted, MOAR 6.1), so I don't see any huge advantage to 4.3. I sure wouldn't give up my custom ROM for stock 4.3.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Nexus will definitely get you updates faster. OTOH, you give up some of the features that enhance other phones. There's no free lunch.

Personally, my phone works great with 4.1.2 (rooted, MOAR 6.1), so I don't see any huge advantage to 4.3. I sure wouldn't give up my custom ROM for stock 4.3.

I was being sarcastic :) Not everything is going to 100% perfect but this update is just shocking. takes me 10seconds after i pressed the homebutton to wake the phone up on lock screen.
Anyway just gotta sit tight and wait for fix

kh20000

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
S3 4.3 work around. The problem seems to be due to memory usage. The 3.0.31 kernel is relatively inefficient space wise. One of the feature in the 4.3 update is a process called kswapd0 which swaps process out of memory to the sd card swap space. That's it's job, make more free memory by moving relatively inactive process to swap. The process, to use an old term, thrashes if the free memory is less than ~150MB. It moves processes constantly back and forth. This thrashing uses cpu time and power. That's why the biggest power user is the OS and not the screen (which is the normal power muncher). This is why some people are reporting no problems with 4.3, they have enough headroom memory wise. This is probably why the S4 is ok with it. So if you disable active apps that you don't need and free up 200MB say, you get a quick smooth S3. No big wakeup delay, no eat the battery and no high bit rate MP3 playback stutter when the screen is locked. The kitkat kernel is a lot more efficient with space, so would solve this problem. Once Samsung tweaks kswapd0 or uses the kitkat kernel (if that's possible), to fix 4.3, you can goto 'app manager', 'disabled apps' and enable them all again, provided there is enough headroom in the Samsung fix that is.

Check out Samsung GS3 4.3 OTA/KIES Update Problems - Samsung - Android phones TonkleChicken he/she put me on to this and after I investigating I agreed.

It doesn't fix the download notification bug however. I worked round this by disabling the download manager notifications. Not perfect I know, no down load notifications any more. If you want to do this tap and hold down the repeating notification, an 'app info' tab will appear. Tap this tab and your in the 'app manager' at the correct process, the 'download manager'. Uncheck show notifications. You can enable this again when Samsung fix it.

Hope that helps. Don't blame me if it doesn't, I didn't release 4.3.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234