Help with damaged phone

Philip Mendoza

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I recently had my s3 fall about 20 feet into puddle, while on, and based on where It landed, it could not be retrieved for several hours. Once it was retrieved it was turned off, pulled apart and placed in rice. after about a day and a half, I turned it on and it booted up but the screen seems really damaged.

the colors are dark and distorted and the touchscreen is completely unresponsive. Other functions seemed to be working (I received texts and email notifications and such, just could not open them). I do not have a warranty for the phone and it will be 6 months or so before i can renew my contract.

I am willing to try just about everything, including replacing parts myself, because I do not have much to lose at this point. what should I do?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I recently had my s3 fall about 20 feet into puddle, while on, and based on where It landed, it could not be retrieved for several hours. Once it was retrieved it was turned off, pulled apart and placed in rice. after about a day and a half, I turned it on and it booted up but the screen seems really damaged.

the colors are dark and distorted and the touchscreen is completely unresponsive. Other functions seemed to be working (I received texts and email notifications and such, just could not open them). I do not have a warranty for the phone and it will be 6 months or so before i can renew my contract.

I am willing to try just about everything, including replacing parts myself, because I do not have much to lose at this point. what should I do?

I would honestly look at a used phone. By the time you replace the screen, the digitizer and anything else that may need replacing, you are probably talking about the same amount of money if not more.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Golf. Water is very bad for electronics, and even if it's only the screen that's acting up today, tomorrow the whole thing could go belly up.

Philip Mendoza

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
okay purchasing a used phone sounds like a good option but im concerned about getting a stolen phone or a phone that is not in as good of condition as advertised. do you know of any reputable sites that sell used phones?

BadHead1970

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I would get a replacement screen from eBay. By screen, I actually mean the complete unit and not just the digitizer . Make sure the word Genuine is included in the description. dutr screen. They cost around ?100 and are not that hard to replace, more fiddly. However, there are a lit of guides on the internet and YouTube. Here is an example of the complete unit for sale on the eBay UK site

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=180966201517

I should say of course, no point doing this unless your 100% sure that the rest of your phone is working OK.

Sent from my Nexus 4 with Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
okay purchasing a used phone sounds like a good option but im concerned about getting a stolen phone or a phone that is not in as good of condition as advertised. do you know of any reputable sites that sell used phones?

There is Swappa. They are advertised a fair amount on the web. Never dealt with them before. Something else is to sell your damaged phone to http://m.gazelle.com. At least you might get a little cash for your broken device.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Diesel6401

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd by a used one. The screen & digitizer are cheap, but the LCD can add up and your not sure what else could be wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk