Better voice-dialing app for S3?

lemongrassdog

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've been a blackberry user for 5+ years, and just got my first android. I'm looking for a simple voice-dialing application that will work through my bluetooth, while my phone is locked, without me ever having to touch or look at the phone. I had this with my BB Bold, and Curve, and I'm surprised at the difficulty I'm having finding it for my S3. I find SVoice to be very inaccurate, and it requires touching the screen when the app needs clarification.

The features I?d like to see are:
1. Can initiate a call without touching the phone. I could do this on my BB just by pressing my Jawbone call button.
2. App is good at finding numbers in my contacts. My old blackberry got the right name from my contacts about 90% of the time; SVoice only gets it right about 50% of the time. I asked it to ?Call Dean mobile?. SVoice found my contact "Dean", but also found a contact whose company had the name "Dean" in it, and needed me to tap the correct listing.
3. The phone asks if it got it right before doing the call. E.g. Did you mean call Joe Smith on cell?
4. If there are multiple numbers (e.g. home, work, cell) it asks which I want and lists them. E.g. do you want to call home, work or cell? SVoice says there is more than one number but doesn?t give me any simple way to tell it which one.

I don't really need an app to do internet searches for me, tell me about the weather, or compose/read text messages (although I might get into that eventually); I just want to be able to make/receive phone calls through my bluetooth, without touching or looking at the phone. Is there anything like this available?? Suggestions please!

Thanks!
Alison

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You've already realized what it takes many people (myself included) a long time to find out - Bluetooth headsets are a crap shoot on Android. I've lost count of the $$$ and number of different Bluetooth headsets that I've tried: some worked well for answering but not calling; some worked well for calling but not answering; some sounded great for music but were useless for phone calls; etc. I finally gave up on the whole shebang.

You could try Voice Speed Dial: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.cyberon.cvsd&token=c_pcdbmk and if it's not what you're looking for perhaps it'll put you on the trail of something that'll work for you. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

lemongrassdog

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
You've already realized what it takes many people (myself included) a long time to find out - Bluetooth headsets are a crap shoot on Android. I've lost count of the $$$ and number of different Bluetooth headsets that I've tried: some worked well for answering but not calling; some worked well for calling but not answering; some sounded great for music but were useless for phone calls; etc. I finally gave up on the whole shebang.

You could try Voice Speed Dial: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.cyberon.cvsd&token=rVFSSj_C and if it's not what you're looking for perhaps it'll put you on the trail of something that'll work for you. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the suggestion, GSDer. There is the extra step of needing to make voice tags for each contact with Voice Speed Dial, which is rather a big step when you've got 500+ business and family/friend contacts, but I guess I could just start with the frequently used contacts...
I find it really surprising that there's no really good android/bluetooth solution! There are so many android apps! How did this one get missed?
Ali

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ali,
Unfortunately, one of the things that makes Android so great is also one of its pitfalls - there are so many options and apps to choose from that it can be daunting to find a simple solution.

There is an app by the same company that doesn't require voice tagging, but the ratings for it weren't as good as the one I listed.

You could try turning S Voice off and using the Google Now capabilities (which have really improved recently) and see if you have any better luck.

Not that I'm encouraging you to spend any additional $$ on the problem, but I've had better luck with some Motorola headsets in the past. I was actually impressed with this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Car-Speakerphone%2F107299.html&token=pYkNJau7 until I loaned it to my daughter and never saw it again :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol