1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung galaxy S3 battery drain

Hi everyone,

This is my first smart phone and I have had it for about 2 days and I have noticed that I lose about 5% per hour, even when i'm not using it. I have to mention that inside my house I tend to lose signal often, so I guess it is constantly searching for signal. Could this be why im losing battery so often? Also, any other advice on what I can do to conserve my battery would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Samsung galaxy S3 battery drain-2013-12-07-03.30.15.png

Samsung galaxy S3 battery drain-2013-12-07-03.29.14.png
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-12-07 03.30.15.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	95635

Default Re: Samsung galaxy S3 battery drain

tfromero,
    Welcome to the forums!

ALMOST a great first post - you included the History details twice, but what we needed for the 3rd screenshot was the Screen details (showing the screen on time).

No biggie - from the History details view it does indeed look like your cellular signal is what's killing your battery life - it's pretty marginal at best. You could try installing GSam Battery Monitor Pro: (there's also a free version) and take a look at the Radio Detail screento get a more quantifiable rating of signal quality.

But nothing will kill a battery faster than searching for a cellular signal (unless it's searching for a mobile data signal) :-)

If this is what reception is like at your home, you could look into purchasing a network extender - it's a one-time purchase from your carrier and you can get a device that only boosts your cellular signal or one that boosts both cellular and Mobile data signals.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for the information! I really hope its just the whole reception issue. I attached two more pictures with the the screen info. Hope that helps.

Samsung galaxy S3 battery drain-2013-12-07-08.17.47.png
    Samsung galaxy S3 battery drain-2013-12-07-08.18.24.png
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Poor reception is the biggest drain on a battery. 5% an hour isn't that bad. Mine drains at about 10% an hour when I'm at work. I have poor LTE signal...a double whammy.

Quote Originally Posted by tfromero View Post
    I attached two more pictures with the the screen info.
    That's pretty good actually - 42% battery remaining after almost 11 hours, with just over 2 hours of screen on time. Other than your horrendous cellular signal quality I don't see anything wrong with your battery life.

(Remember to always include all three screenshots; always start with a full charge; never perform any intermediate charge cycles; let the battery get depleted to less than 30% if possible.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you so muchhh!! I appreciate your help

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

One thing to remember about a smartphone is that it's never really idle. It's really a small computer, and if it's powered on (even if the screen is off) it's actively doing things, just like a laptop. And the big, hugh resolution screens of today"s smartphones also use a lot more power than the smaller, lower res screens of feature phones.

That's pretty good battery life with that much screen in time. Just get used to plugging the phone in every night.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3