Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Exclamation Samsung Galaxy S3 - Help Between LCD or Digitizer? *URGENT*

Hello,

I dropped my galaxy s3 screen hit the surface straight. The screen did not crack however now the display is all black. I can power it on and the sound and everything works and the led flashes and everything. Its just that the screen is all black. If i get a call i can guess the position of the answer key and slide it on the black display and it works. I looked a lot online and now i just need to know do I need to replace the LCD, the Digitizer, or the LCD + Digitizer + Touch Controls? Can someone help and please explain the difference between the Digitizer and LCD?

Default Re: Help Between LCD or Digitizer? *URGENT*

Sounds like you need to replace the digitizer. Most kits come with both a new glass face and the digitizer screen under near. Since you have to remove both you might as well replace both.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Well there is a big difference because only about $15 for one replacement to $120 to both LCD and Digitizer. Is it difficult to replace just the digitizer? I am Computer Repair certified so i can handle technical work.

Yes it is difficult. The AMOLED Display and Digitizer are glued to each other as well as the Glass screen. Damage may occur to the good trying to take them apart.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 - Help Between LCD or Digitizer? *URGENT*

Can someone send me a link for the digitizer please? Post it here.

Posted via Android Central App

There appear to be three layers to the Samsung display assembly:
    - Corning glass (protects everything)
    - digitizer (accepts touch input) [sounds like this is at least partially working on your phone since you can swipe to accept calls]
    - AMOLED display [what people commonly call the LCD] (shows everything you see)
    The digitizer and display must be accurately aligned or you don't end up typing/clicking on what you're seeing.

It's very difficult to separate the three components without damaging the others, particularly since some of them are glued to each other - for that reason I only make reference to the complete screen assembly, which is the safest, most reliable fix http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung...ent-white.html (I'm not in any way associated with this company; this is just one of many suppliers - use whatever resource you like).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

it is NOT the digitizer. The digitizer is touchscreen, and you said that's working. The amoled display is the part not working. But as others have said, it's very difficult to replace just one part. Before you buy anything, though, open te=he phone up and make sure it isn't just a connector that got knocked askew.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

I opened the phone and checked the connectors. They are all good. So you guys are saying I should buy the whole set for $120?

Quote Originally Posted by ManvirS View Post
    I opened the phone and checked the connectors. They are all good. So you guys are saying I should buy the whole set for $120?

I just changed or the glass on my s3a couple weeks ago. It sounds like you need the whole setup. My screen was never black on this one. The glass was just cracked, but I could still see everything behind it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's the safest approach. While it is possible to replace onlt the OLED display, the odds of everything working just right afterwards are pretty low.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Hello!
    I have the same problem as you and I was thinking on buying the whole equipment. Have you tried to fix your phone yet?

Hello and welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by sofia gomes View Post
    and I was thinking on buying the whole equipment
    Getting the complete screen assembly is the best way to go. Here are a couple of sources:
    http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung...ent-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-...-assembly.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

hi my samsung s3 neo screen broken are the s3 or s3 neo screen same. Can I replace s3 screen in s3 neo

Hello and welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by nosadkhan View Post
    Can I replace s3 screen in s3 neo
    Judging by the specifications for your phone http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_grand_neo-5958.php vs. the S3 http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_...s_iii-4238.php the screens aren't even the same size (not to mention a different resolution and pixel density) - sorry, no.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk