What are the most usefull changes in Galaxy S3 v4.3

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What does 'Better RAM' really mean?

Are the 'Actionable Notifications' the same implementation as on the Moto X, where it only turns on a portion of the AMOLED display? Or is that hardware dependent?

Can you give a layman's explanation of 'TRIM Support'?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
TRIM: What is TRIM support in Android 4.3 and why should you care? | Pocketnow

Actionable notifications are like those implemented in gmail. When you pull down the notification you can take some action beyond just tapping to go to the app. In gmail, for example, you can archive the email or reply. This opens up that capability to all apps, but the app developer will have to code the app to take advantage of it.

Supposedly, 4.3 requires less RAM than earlier versions.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Since that article included conflicting comments about what was written, I had to go read up on TRIM anyway. Thanks.

Here's my layman's explanation:
Given*
* NAND/eMMC must be erased prior to being overwritten
* the OS must keep track of deleted files until the space they occupied is erased
- Android OSs prior to 4.3 incurred this extra overhead* every time a previously deleted file was overwritten with new information (Erase + Write + Tracking)

TRIM
- Android OSs => 4.3 will perform the erase operation in the background when the system is idle (Erase Only)
-- Previously deleted file space is already prepared when it's time to write new information (Write Only) - this results in faster performance
-- Since previously deleted files no longer have to be kept track of (because the TRIM operation was erasing deleted file space in the background) the OS uses less memory, keeping track of only 'in use' files, which also makes it faster

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty