Galaxy S3 Battery Issues * Urgent*

Neader

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-12-15-21-32-51.png
Screenshot_2013-12-15-21-33-08.png
Screenshot_2013-12-15-21-41-52.png

Losing about 10-15% an hour when the screen is off and I'm not doing anything. This has been happening for about the past week and a half. Phone is also SUPER hot at times, in fact last night it stopped charging because of heat, first time I've ever seen a message pop up like that.

I already did a factory rest and cleared the cache as well as downloaded JuiceDefender and WakeLock as you can see above.

My phone was rooted before the reset and I was still having issues.

Help me please!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Your mobile signal is horrible, that may be a large part of your drain.
When you cleared the cache, did you do it in recovery?

Neader

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of signal it's still ****, even in airplane mode.

I did do it in recovery, I think. When you do the reboot screen where you push volume up, home, and power?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Your mobile signal is horrible, that may be a large part of your drain.
When you cleared the cache, did you do it in recovery?

The mobile signal is that way because of Juice Defender. My battery stats show pretty similar signal, and I have 3-4 bars of LTE.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I did do it in recovery, I think. When you do the reboot screen where you push volume up, home, and power?

Yes, that is recovery mode.
From your Wakelock Detector screenshot, it looks like Juice Defender is keeping your phone awake. It's probably hurting the battery more than helping it.

Neader

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I turned it off, it being JuiceDefender, and the battery is still draining. Now at 15% since time of the picture. 2% in 8 minutes on airplane.

Screenshot_2013-12-15-22-25-57.png

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The mobile signal is that way because of Juice Defender. My battery stats show pretty similar signal, and I have 3-4 bars of LTE.

However, a phone will spend exorbitant amounts of power holding onto a weak cell signal which all his screenshots shows he has.

Be that as it may, how old is the battery? It may be showing it's age and can't hold a charge as well as it used to.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
However, a phone will spend exorbitant amounts of power holding onto a weak cell signal which all his screenshots shows he has
2/5 bars is pretty weak, but it wouldn't be enough to drain the battery like this. At least not on it's own...
Like Golfdriver said, you might need a new battery. After some time, the capacity starts to diminish and probably wouldn't last as long

Neader

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had it unplugged for an hour and 15 minutes, 77% battery.

Screenshot_2013-12-16-11-12-35.png
Screenshot_2013-12-16-11-12-46.png

- - - Updated - - -

Will I be able to get a new battery from Verizon since this once has been screwy even though I rooted my phone?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. 6 months is probably out of any defect warranty. But it won't hurt to ask.

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had it unplugged for an hour and 15 minutes, 77% battery.

Will I be able to get a new battery from Verizon since this once has been screwy even though I rooted my phone?
The screenshots show that you had it unplugged for 34 minutes.
And that it was at about 87% charge when you started.

Did you have it in Airplane mode for most of the 34 minutes? You have a really lousy cellular signal for the remaining time - you might want to try GSam Battery Monitor Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro (there's also a free version) to better quantify your cellular signal.
ta6eme6a.jpg
I doubt that Verizon will give you a new battery, but they may give you a replacement.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
And just as a follow-up to your original posts and replies - I'm in complete agreement with Golfdriver97 about marginal cellular signal - that can kill a fully charged battery in a few hours: it used to happen to me all the time when I worked in a shielded lab and I finally had to put the phone in Airplane mode whenever I went in to work.

Also, if you really want proper analysis of battery life (well, the best we can provide in the forums anyway) you need to:
- start with the phone fully charged - IMPORTANT
- do not introduce any intermediate charge cycles
- let the battery run down to 20% or less
- include all three screenshots (you've been leaving out the Screen Use details) [also include the Radio Detail screenshot if you're using that app]

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4