Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot update rooted S3

Hello guys!

Sorry for the silly question, but I've received yesterday a used Galaxy S3, model GT-I9300, already rooted, bought in Amazon, Version 4.1.2. it works fine exept that everytime I try the OTA, the settings chrash with the usual message "unfortunately, settings has stopped". Do you think this is due to the rooting or it's maybe something else? Is there any ways I can solve this? Cheers

Global Posts
    13,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Cannot update rooted S3

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Hello guys!

Sorry for the silly question, but I've received yesterday a used Galaxy S3, model GT-I9300, already rooted, bought in Amazon, Version 4.1.2. it works fine exept that everytime I try the OTA, the settings chrash with the usual message "unfortunately, settings has stopped". Do you think this is due to the rooting or it's maybe something else? Is there any ways I can solve this? Cheers
    Welcome to the forums.
    Yes, this is due to rooting. Root access typically stops OTAs from finalizing.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the quick answer so would you suggest a unroot? otherwise I suppose I'm stuck with the 4.1.2 for ever

Global Posts
    13,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I would honestly stay where you are at.

From a Sprint Moto X

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Henry,
    How much do you know about Android phones?
    Did you specifically want a rooted phone?
    Is there anything about the 4.3 update that you really need?
    Do you know how to boot into Recovery mode or Download mode?

Lots of questions, but we can't really help you unless we have a common frame of reference.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I didn't specifically want a rooted phone, I just found a good used-one which was already rooted I didn't know that would prevent the updates Anyway I don't know if Android 4.3 is so much better than 4.1.2, but I guess, it has more features, better protection, etc. I found a tutorial about how to update a rooted S3 maybe I'll follow it, hoping it would not destroy the S3

Henry,
    That's good information to follow. There's no guarantee that the update will be successful - it depends on what else was done to the phone (custom recovery; frozen bloatware; modified framework, etc). You also may need to use a feature of the SuperUser binaries to 'hide' them.

In the long run, if you don't really need a rooted phone, your best bet may be to load the stock firmware and start from scratch.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Henry Chinaski likes this.

I doubt that will work, but it won't hurt to try.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

if you don't want to unroot you can always flash 4.3

Posted via Android Central App
    Give me a THUMBS UP if I helped!

Galaxy S3 AT&T SGH-I747