Are there long term effects from water damage on a Bell Galaxy S3?

harmeenk

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago I dropped my 2 week old Samsung Galaxy S3 in the sink, I immediately put it in rice for 48 hours and everything seems to be working fine. However, I've heard that it is inevitable that my phone will "slowly die" (screen fading, camera begins to fail, etc.) after being exposed to water- whether that's over a period of weeks, months, years, etc. Any truth to this?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I've not heard or read that. Only time can tell. However, you did the right thing, you got your phone to rice. I hope by the time it dies you no longer have any interest in it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
A few days ago I dropped my 2 week old Samsung Galaxy S3 in the sink
If this is going to be part of your regular routine I'd suggest the S4 Active ;)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The only correct answer is that there's no way to know. Odds are that if you dried it out well, and it's working fine now, it will continue to do so. But there are no guarantees. It's possible something got wet and is slowly corroding and will eventually fail.

OTOH, my son dropped an iPod Touch in water a few years ago, and at first it didn't work at all, then gradually improved to where it would work if plugged in, but wouldn't charge. After several months, it seemed to work as good as new. Water can do weird things to electronics, and all you can do is continue to use it and hope for the best.