Samsung Kies v3 with Android 4.3 Outlook sync problem

guitareth

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Today my Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300RWDBTU? WK37) phone offered a firmware upgraded to Android v4.3 which I accepted. When I then went to sync my my Microsoft Outlook 2010 Contacts with my phone using Samsung Kies (as I've always done) it said I needed to upgrade my installed version of Samsung Kies as existing version 2 was not compatiable with the new firmware on the phone. I did so and now have Samsung Kies version 3.2.13114_22.

However, when I select to Sync my selected Contacts folder from Outlook 2010, Kies ONLY gives a sync direction option of "Apply to both device and Outlook". See attached screengrab. There is no option to change the sync direction, which there used to be in Kies v2. I used to be able to just apply the Contacts changes to my device, and this is what I want to do as I do not want or trust the Kies app to do anything to my Contacts as in Outlook 2010.

Is this a known bug or limitation with Kies 3 and Android v4.3 or is there a workaround?

Attachments

• Samsung Kies 3 Outlook Sync direction options.jpg
    Samsung Kies 3 Outlook Sync direction options.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 291

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is this a known bug or limitation with Kies 3 and Android v4.3 or is there a workaround?
I guess it's a feature change, although I'm not sure why Samsung would have made that design decision.

There's at least one other thread complaining about Kies and Outlook issues, and someone mentioned an app that they now use to sync between the two. I'll see if I can find that for you.
Edit: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3336113
(Kies crashes everytime)
2nd Edit: Do a search for 'outlook' in this forum and check out the other result; there are a few other suggestions that you may find useful.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

guitareth

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I guess it's a feature change, although I'm not sure why Samsung would have made that design decision.

Thanks for your response. I actually submitted a ticket to Samsung Customer Support about this and they have replied as follows:

"Regarding your issue, I can confirm that the option to change the sync direction has been removed from Kies 3.0. I am unsure of exactly why this feature was removed but i will pass your concerns on to the Kies development team. Hopefully the next update of Kies includes this feature".

Hmmm, very disappointing :?(

There's at least one other thread complaining about Kies and Outlook issues, and someone mentioned an app that they now use to sync between the two. I'll see if I can find that for you.
Edit: Kies crashes everytime - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
(Kies crashes everytime)
2nd Edit: Do a search for 'outlook' in this forum and check out the other result; there are a few other suggestions that you may find useful.
That linked thread suggests using the Outlook Connector but I cannot see how that would be any use for just syncing Outlook computer based client to Android contacts on the phone. I did search for "outlook" and only other app which has been suggested which sounded hopeful was MyPhoneExplorer (as from FJ Software Development). However, on trying to install that my A/V program tells me it contains dodgy stuff so I'm unwilling to install that. Don't really know what I'm going to do now. Am really p****d off with Samsung for removing the extra sync directional options from v3!!

Andrew Burgar

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes Ive had the same problem.

My upgrade happened towards the end of December 2013. I thought today Id sync it up. In addition to the direction options when syncing my calendar only 2 of the 6 folders were shown. annoying since the two I sync notably my phone and work were missing. However I do now have 4 copies of the phone version on my shared family diary. I also now have 3 copies of all my contacts in both the phone and on outlook.

So Im not very happy. Ill be trying the Samsung help thing. But If I don't get anywhere I think my phone will be going back, my supplier has failed to provide me with goods and services as agreed, in fact it was OK and they have removed it.

Perhaps if we all started to use the consumer act and when software companies make things worse we return the goods and ask for refund, maybe they will get it right.

what do we think

geezbeez

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
In version 3, iTunes sync and WiFi linking are gone, too. Is it possible that Samsung just released an intermediate version? Why would they eliminate useful capability.

If you spend some time on the MyPhoneExplorer site you'll see that the latest download comes with malware. That may not be a good option right now.

Ray Komro

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I just got a Samsung Note 3, and i have issues just as you do..

I connected the Note 3 to my pc and win7 64 bit version installed 4 drivers for it to work... but the PCI simple Communication Controller fails.. but it allows me to charge and to move data to/from my phone with no problems.. I even tried downloading drivers direct from Samsung and they fail just as it did with the ones windows used...

Found the Kies 3 software on Samsung's site thought it would help me, installed it and then it said it needed to update my firmware as it was out of date so i let it.. after the update saw it had the option to sync with outlook since the Note 3/Android OS clearly states it will not allow me to sync my google calendar when it tried.. but will let me sync my contacts from google but when i click on any of the options to do with outlook or the sub item selections it causes Kies 3 to Crash everytime... tried uninstalling/reinstalling many times along with reboots and fails again and again...

Contacted Samsung via FB they had me do everything i had already done.. along with telling me to Disable my Anti Virus & Firewall and it still wouldn't work... I am @ a loss Since even Samsung won't fix their own problem...:confused:

wanted to see if you had any idea's since i just bought the phone dec. 26th

Miss DLD

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I too am having the same problem, and as i read down this thread I hoped there might be a resolution... there wasn't :-( this is very annoying as I sync my work outlook calendar to my phone and now it duplicated everything back on my Outlook.

I hope Samsung sort this out soon

keenpine

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the version of Outlook may be a factor. I've been working with my boss's Galaxy S4 on Android 4.3. We haven't upgraded the firmware that Kies is recommending. I have Outlook 2013 on my Windows 7 PC, and I was able to sync my calendar to her phone without a problem. When we tried it on her Windows XP PC with Outlook 2003, it crashes just like others have described.

david-david

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually submitted a ticket to Samsung Customer Support about this and they have replied as follows:

"Regarding your issue, I can confirm that the option to change the sync direction has been removed from Kies 3.0. I am unsure of exactly why this feature was removed but i will pass your concerns on to the Kies development team. Hopefully the next update of Kies includes this feature".

Hmmm, very disappointing :?(

My local Verizon Wireless store recommended I use Akruto Sync to sync with Outlook. The Verizon guy seemed well aware that KIES is junk. I no longer need to worry that my Outlook data will get messed. Instead of one-way sync, Akruto provides something even better. Sync History lets me see all the changes made to my Outlook data and the data on my phone. I can even take any older version of my contacts, events and tasks and restore it to Outlook. This is much better than the one-way sync I had to use with KIES to keep my Outlook data safe. As it turns out, Akruto Sync has worked very reliably for me, so I did not even need to worry.
It is paid software (a one-time cost of $25) but that was well worth the saved frustration.

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Samsung never seem to get this right. They've now corrected the syncing direction issue in that you can again choose to sync either both ways or to device only. HOWEVER - it now just doesn't sync. I use MS Outlook 2007. If I add a contact to Outlook on my desktop, it now doesn't appear on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. Nightmare! Does anyone at Samsung or Kies ever read these posts, I wonder??? :'(
And I still wouldn't even try to sync my calendar - far too risky. Last time I did it a couple of years ago when I swopped my Blackberry for the S3, it mucked up my desktop Outllook calendar and it took me ages to sort it out - even although I'd specified sync TO device!
They really need to get their act together on this. It's almost enough to make you want to manually transfer everything to Google Calendar. (I did say 'almost!).

guitareth

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Sync directional options restored with latest version of Kies 3

Today my Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300RWDBTU? WK37) phone offered a firmware upgraded to Android v4.3 which I accepted. When I then went to sync my my Microsoft Outlook 2010 Contacts with my phone using Samsung Kies (as I've always done) it said I needed to upgrade my installed version of Samsung Kies as existing version 2 was not compatiable with the new firmware on the phone. I did so and now have Samsung Kies version 3.2.13114_22.

However, when I select to Sync my selected Contacts folder from Outlook 2010, Kies ONLY gives a sync direction option of "Apply to both device and Outlook". See attached screengrab. There is no option to change the sync direction, which there used to be in Kies v2. I used to be able to just apply the Contacts changes to my device, and this is what I want to do as I do not want or trust the Kies app to do anything to my Contacts as in Outlook 2010.

Success! Yesterday a message popped up saying there was a new version of Kies 3 available for download. I downloaded and installed the new version (Kies 3 v 3.2.14013_45 ). This latest version has restored the directional options when syncing my Contacts between Outlook and my phone. Now I can choose from "Apply to device only" or "Apply to Oulook only", and "Apply to both device and Outlook".

I tried a sync with my preferred setting of "Apply to device only" and on first few attempts it stalled at around 40% with an the error message: "An error has ocurred while preparing to sync contacts. Task cancelled". I experimented with opening and closing Outlook and Kies a few times and eventually it's now doing a full sync OK. :):):)

Also, in response to that last post about latest version not syncing correctly. I just tested adding a new contact in my Outlook contacts. I then ran a sync to my phone with Kies 3 and it HAS synced that new contact across for me, so seems to be working fine.

VL-Mike

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sync directional options restored with latest version of Kies 3

I am glad that it worked for you, but neither my contacts nor calender sync even with the latest Kies update 3.2.14013.45 and my Samsung Galaxy SIII. I tried changing "syncing direction" to both and to just Outlook, but it still quits.

NeverTooLate4620

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I have Verizon's Samsung Galaxy S4 and Windows 7 machine with Outlook 2007
I have gone through multiple iterations of problems with Kies, until my S4 was bricked by the upgrade.
At least that is what I think.
I have contacted Samsung and Verizon tech support multiple times.
They are either do not want to share real answers or some techs just seem to be clueless.
This passed Friday 01/31/2014, I was told by one tech that Kies 3.x will never work with Verizon S4 running 4.3.x
Verizon tech could not or did not want to give me any answers.
I guess I will have to wait for a couple of weeks before calling Samsung tech support.

Did anyone had success syncing Verizon's S4 with 4.3 with Kies 3.x to any MS outlook version. Contacts, calendars, notes?
Is it only Verizon that has these issues?

Posted via Android Central App

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've had the same problem using Galaxy Note 2 with Android 4.3, Kies V3.0.14013_45 and Outlook 2010. This was working fine, to a fashion, still had to do some manual changes to my Outlook diary every so often but it worked. Then I did the Kies upgrade to the above and now it wont even synch! Grrr! I just get the error below:
Kies 3.png

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just get the error below:
Looks like the error deals with the Schedule - you could temporarily uncheck the Calendar and see if the sync proceeds; or perhaps pick a specific Schedule folder; or maybe setting the sync to just one direction (Outlook -> phone) will make a difference.

Or you could just try the solution mentioned in post #9.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

jgmeehan

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I too have had problems with syncing Outlook 2003 to my new S4. My problem has been that when I connected my new S4 running Android 4.3 to either my laptop running Windows Vista/Outlook 2003 or my wife's desktop running Windows 7/Outlook 2003, Windows can't find the CDC Serial driver it needed, and when trying to use the Sync settings, Kies 3 would just crash. I just updated to Kies v3.2.14013.45 today and although Windows still can't find and install CDC Serial driver, it is letting me Sync my phone successfully for the first time. (Done calendar and Tasks, now about to do Contacts...one way only to device...if something goes wrong, I'll restore my Contacts from my BB Torch which I've had to keep using as a PDA up til now). Just wish I could figure out how to sync my Outlook Notes to ... I guess... S Memo?

youngman242

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have installed the Kies v3.2.14013.45 and I do not get the alternative to choose sync direction, but "apply to both device and outlook, however it only sync from outlook to device, whereas my working calendar is on the Galaxy S4.
I cannot find any answers through the link from oliviaabraham12 - could I get a direct link or somebody can explain what to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith