Wifi painfully slow - especially on FB

tbtregenza

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I recently had to do a warranty replacement on my GS3. I was previously on CM, loving life, but decided to keep this one stock. I'm on stock Verizon 4.3 with VRUCML1 baseband.

Since the last OTA, Facebook is for all intents and purposes broken when on WiFi. Chrome still functions decently, but if I want to use FB, or Instagram, or even G+, I have to switch to 4G which is frustrating since it's a struggle for me to keep under the datacap.

Any advice? I've tried a few of the "tricks" I found on forums but NOTHING works.

Thanks.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Now, your phone's WiFi radio may be the root cause, but I doubt it. It sounds more like a software issue. Have you tried using a different browser/ Facebook app ? Tried purging your app caches on both Browser/Facebook app and the rest of your apps ? Tried forcing a system stop on your browsing/Facebook app (settings/apps/ - Force stop) ?

When a phone's WiFi radio seems to be having a hard time, the phone is not necessarily 100% to blame. If you live in an area with many WiFi waves colliding, like an apartment building, or a townhouse, you could have a WiFi channel conflict with other routers in the vicinity, and perhaps your phone doesn't deal well with this. You can use these to find conflicts, and then manually change your router's channel to one that is less busy.

InSSider
Wi-Fi analyzer

Your phone could be the culprit, but so could your router's settings. I once I had problems at home, my router kept on crashing whenever to many WiFi devices became bandwidth-hungry. I found out I had a channel conflict, being on channel 6 with 11 other routers in range set on channel 6. I switched to channel 11, and my problems went away. The odd thing is that the problem was triggered by my better half connecting a new phone, Worst, after it started, it would keep on happening afterwards even without her phone in the picture.... Go figure....

Once this was settled my phone was faster on the web than it ever had been.

Last edited:

tbtregenza

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Dude this totally worked. I'd never changed the wifi channel on my router before. FB works perfectly now. Channel 1 was totally crowded in my area and Channel 11 was empty! Thanks man, eternal gratitude to you. /Solved

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar