Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 6 Post By scynz1
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 Ghost data problem

Hi,

I'd been having some trouble with my SGS3 for a while. Well a lot, especially with charging and this ghost data problem where the storage doesn't add up to how much should actually be there.

I had been back and forth, mainly on this forum viewing all the different threads about it but today I finally rooted my phone and used Disk Usage to see where the problem lay, and it was with a huge log file which I managed to delete. You can do it that way, or you can do it the easier way, suggested on another forum which is:

"You don't have to root your phones to fix this problem. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and then select from menu - delete dumpstate/logcat. I tested this solution on my SGS2 and it works. "
    Credit to damianoz here

Good luck, and I hope this helps a lot of people.

Cheers,
    Liam.

P.S. Do many other people have an issue with the phone turning off (and requiring a battery pull) after you disconnect the charging cable when the battery is full? - I will have a search now as well.

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Ghost data problem

Nice tip, and I don't have an S3 but my a few friends do, and theirs DEFINITELY don't go berserk after they're done charging.
    scynz1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scynz1 View Post
    Hi,
    P.S. Do many other people have an issue with the phone turning off (and requiring a battery pull) after you disconnect the charging cable when the battery is full? - I will have a search now as well.
    Never happened to me, and I don't recall seeing anyone else describing this.
    scynz1 likes this.

You are Awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks that really helped me a lot!! Been trying to solve this issue, went from +-300mb available to 3.7gb... Really appreciate the tip!

Hi....

I've looked everywhere for a solution to lack of memory problems on my S3mini with out success. And then I saw your post *#9900# and thought yeah well this is just a phone number hey...

But it REALLY DOES WORK !!!!! Wow thank you so much !!!!

thanks it worked!!!! amazing tip

YES! THANK YOU damianoz!

Is there a code for an LG Optimus? All this "data" is preventing this thing you call a phone from actually working like one! Thanks!

Thumbs up Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Ghost data problem

Amazing, this really works!!!!!!!

Hey tried it on my s 3 mini but it did not work. Can I uninstallSamsungAppsUNA2

heyy i have a LG Leon lte and its having that same damn problem the *#9900# doesnt work does anyone have any advice for me??

Had to register to say thanks to the poster who mentioned *#9900#

Worked on my S5, which didn't have enough space left for a system update. I'd tried ES file Explorer, moving apps to external SD and nothing worked; this did.

Thanks again

Hi,

After some investigations on my phone due to the same problem, I worked out what was going on. At least, on my S3mini.

1.- Go to Settings > Application manager
    2.- Tap and drag to see all the applications installed. Sort them by size.
    3.- Check the size of the biggest applications... and reckon if those sizes are consistent with the target of the application.

In my particular case, the "Contacts Storage" application had a size of 2.5GB!!!! So:

1.- I backed up my contacts exporting them to the SD card (.vfc file)
    2.- I tapped on the application and I cleared the data stored (tap on "Clear data" option")
    3.- I restored my contacts from the .vcf file

I hope it helps you out.

What I'm wondering is... how could a 6MB application reach a size of 2.5GB? What was stored in the file? I regreted I deleted it without checking it out previously...

Cheers!