1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery charging, not charging, draining really fast.

This started 2 days ago. The charging socket on the phone had started to get a little loose but both the plug charger and usb charger still fit pretty snug.

Yesterday the phone wouldn't charge with the plug charger and would only charge from the usb charger if you wiggled it and got the lightening symbol. It drained overnight without any use at all. Charging today was nearly impossible. It got to 58% then started discharging.

I switched the phone on and off and even removed the battery. All the while the phone is still displaying the lightening symbol and is saying that it is charging even when it's not and not even connected to the usb.

Today I done the factory reset and it didn't recognise the usb connector at first, though it has now and charged fully at the usual speed. However on removing the usb the phone still said it was charged and in the settings section the battery was still recording 100% after an hours use. I had to reboot the phone to remove the charged notification and get a true reading of the battery. None of the battery notifications would clear from the notification area until after the last reboot.

Has anyone else had similar issues? And do Samsung really offer a two year warranty?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    13,850 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Battery charging, not charging, draining really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by smaffy View Post
    This started 2 days ago. The charging socket on the phone had started to get a little loose but both the plug charger and usb charger still fit pretty snug.

Yesterday the phone wouldn't charge with the plug charger and would only charge from the usb charger if you wiggled it and got the lightening symbol. It drained overnight without any use at all. Charging today was nearly impossible. It got to 58% then started discharging.

I switched the phone on and off and even removed the battery. All the while the phone is still displaying the lightening symbol and is saying that it is charging even when it's not and not even connected to the usb.

Today I done the factory reset and it didn't recognise the usb connector at first, though it has now and charged fully at the usual speed. However on removing the usb the phone still said it was charged and in the settings section the battery was still recording 100% after an hours use. I had to reboot the phone to remove the charged notification and get a true reading of the battery. None of the battery notifications would clear from the notification area until after the last reboot.

Has anyone else had similar issues? And do Samsung really offer a two year warranty?

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forums.
    You may have a bad battery. I would consider switching it. If you know someone else who has an S3, ask to borrow theirs.
    And as far as I know, Samsung does not offer a warranty that long.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your reply and help. My brother has the same phone, I'll try his battery in my phone tomorrow. I wonder though, would a bad battery be able to cause the phone to display incorrect information?

After I did the reset and went through the setting up options, the Samsung registration section said there was a two year warranty. I cant remember if I registered my phone with them the first time around.

Global Posts
    13,850 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks for your reply and help. My brother has the same phone, I'll try his battery in my phone tomorrow. I wonder though, would a bad battery be able to cause the phone to display incorrect information?

After I did the reset and went through the setting up options, the Samsung registration section said there was a two year warranty. I cant remember if I registered my phone with them the first time around.
    Ok. Many places, especially I. The US, it is a 1 year warranty.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

It could possibly be a bad micro USB connector in the phone, too. And make sure there's no dirt or anything in the socket that might be shorting the connectors.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

The charging socket on the phone had started to get a little loose
    If the micro-USB port itself is loose then you need to get that repaired or switch to a wireless charging solution.

If you have an International phone the warranty is supposed to be two years (some EU requirement?). Otherwise there are places where you can get the repair done (ex. ).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro