1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How Do I Turn On My Phone Now That I've BROKEN THE POWER SWITCH OFF OF THE MOTHERBOARD?

Here's a question I posted earlier about my phone being stuck in power off mode:

Galaxy S3 i747/AT&T Version Won't Boot!!!!! (Not Rooted)

You see the part when I said I was pissed? Well, I tried something. Instead of destroying my entire phone and breaking my fists in the process, I decided to get rid of the problem at the source. Ehhh, I took out the power switch............................you know, the thing under the power button, that's connected to the motherboard? Yeah, that. I broke it off with a wrench. Now I just have a power button with nothing to push on. I replaced the battery, and at first, it was the same bull crap. But out of nowhere, I saw a battery charging symbol...IT WORKED.

I figured before I did it that I wouldn't be able to turn it on. Like I said, I was pissed, plus I thought my phone was irreparable, so I really didn't care. I just wanted the looping to stop. My phone is charging properly now, and I have to hit the volume button to get the screen back on. Is there I way I can start it up? Would a USB Jig help me start my phone up?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Default Re: How Do I Turn On My Phone Now That I've BROKEN THE POWER SWITCH OFF OF THE MOTHERBOARD?

I think you only have two solutions here...get a new phone...or replace the motherboard. But that's only my opinion. There may be someone else with some different advice for you. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How Do I Turn On My Phone Now That I've BROKEN THE POWER SWITCH OFF OF THE MOTHERBOARD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I think you only have two solutions here...get a new phone...or replace the motherboard. But that's only my opinion. There may be someone else with some different advice for you. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    UPDATE:

My first thought was to buy a USB jig (which would take several days to arrive). I knew the USB jig could take me to download mode, and download mode would give me the option of cancelling the download process, which would then restart the phone. I was pretty sure this was the only way to do it, but I kept racking my brain for a workaround nonetheless. After I removed the power button and fixed THAT problem, the only way I could turn the phone on was by plugging in the charger cord, which kept me at the battery charging screen. The charger cord and the power button are not essentially the same thing, but in the case of a powered-off phone, they serve the same function: TURNING ON THE PHONE.

Then it hit me. If they serve the same function, then I might be able to get myself into download mode without the USB jig. So, I did exactly what you usually do to get into download mode: volume down + home button + power button...and in this case, "power button" means "plug in the charger cable". Then I died and came back to life several times because download mode was now on my screen. IT WORKED!!!!!! All I had to do next was press volume down to cancel dialogue, which rebooted my phone as usual! I might have permanently broken my power switch in the process, but I feel like it was worth it. Thanks for the good luck wishes, it looks like it paid off!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. This happened to me. The power button not the switchboard was already broken off and I had to turn my phone on and off with bobby pen. I guess in the process I was ruining the actual power switchboard. Called customer service they wanted me to bring it in. Looked on this forum and they mentioned the power button was stuck so I took the screws off the back to get a closer look. The power came out the switchboard. I get a free upgrade in 66 days. Im tired of going through this So I finally found your post. So helpful. The volume down, Home button and plugging in a charger or usb into a computer as if charging. Then press the volume down to reboot. Thank you. At least Ill be able to last till my 66 days are up. And then Im going to switch to an IPHONE. I dont need all these extras. I just want my phone to be able to make calls, text, email, calender and play music.

Thanks again.
    T