Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 Splitting Copied and Pasted Texts Less Than 160 Characters into Multiple Messages

I sometimes send out text messages that I copy and paste from an email, website or another app, using GO SMS Pro. If I type out the text message, and it is 160 characters or less, it gets sent as one text message, as it should. However, if I copy and paste it instead of typing it out, it may split into multiple messages. Again, it's less than the 160-character text message limit. Why does it split it up, and is there a way to prevent this?

Global Posts
    10,055 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Splitting Copied and Pasted Texts Less Than 160 Characters into Multiple Messages

Quote Originally Posted by bigredcaddy5 View Post
    I sometimes send out text messages that I copy and paste from an email, website or another app, using GO SMS Pro. If I type out the text message, and it is 160 characters or less, it gets sent as one text message, as it should. However, if I copy and paste it instead of typing it out, it may split into multiple messages. Again, it's less than the 160-character text message limit. Why does it split it up, and is there a way to prevent this?
    This is the first time I've heard of this issue. Didn't know that copying text and pasting it into the text box would cause it to split if greater than 160 characters, whereas inputing the same amount of text would not. If you are trying a stock messaging App try another from the Play Store and see if the issue continues. It might be related to how the App handles messages, both inputed or copied.

Global Posts
    24,245 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Splitting Copied and Pasted Texts Less Than 160 Characters into Multiple Messages

I am inclined to agree with magnus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Any chance of what you're copying being more than just plain text? Could be the copy and paste is including hidden characters like format codes or even HTML commands. Those extra chars are kicking the length up. I use Chomp and it shows the number of chars in the message before I send it--does your app? If so is it bigger than what's visible?

Another possible would be your message app is inserting a SIG line like "sent by xyz app" that's bumping the count. Some of the free apps do that until you upgrade to the paid app.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

srkmagnus and golfdriver97, I'm already using a non-stock app (GO SMS Pro). Golfdriver97, no sig is being added. My app shows the number of characters before I send, and it's bigger than what's visible...so, if it's putting invisible characters in, how would I delete them if I can't see them?

...so, if it's putting invisible characters in, how would I delete them if I can't see them?
    First see if GO Sms has a setting that's allowing formatted text and turn it off.

On way might be to paste into another app that doesn't support anything but text. That would either strip the other stuff or make it visible. Then copy again. I just tried pasting into Office Suite and saved as text only--then reopened. Bit of a hassle. Maybe install a text-only editor?

Verizon used to enforce a 160 character limit for text messages and would split them up if it went over this number of characters.

I'm not sure if they still do this or not, also not sure if other wireless carriers do this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcarolina View Post
    Verizon used to enforce a 160 character limit for text messages and would split them up if it went over this number of characters.

I'm not sure if they still do this or not, also not sure if other wireless carriers do this.
    Thanks, but my concern was with copied and pasted text being split into multiple messages when it is nowhere near the 160 character limit.

I know this does not answer your question, but in GoSMS Pro there is a setting not to split messages over 160 characters. The cut and past could be cause by it adding non seen HTML code, depending where you are copping from. Do not know how to strip out the extra though.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)

This issue is not specific to Samsung Galaxy S3.

I experienced it on a different phone but just figured a workaround to solve it.
    Please check my second post on this forum (can't post links yet since under 10 posts)

AndroidFanUK