Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung GS3 cannot find update

I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1. I have been trying to update the firmware. No updates are found OTA or through Kies. Both say I have the latest firmware. Anyone have any ideas why this is?

Thanks.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung GS3 cannot find update

Quote Originally Posted by sunchasers64 View Post
    I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1. I have been trying to update the firmware. No updates are found OTA or through Kies. Both say I have the latest firmware. Anyone have any ideas why this is?

Thanks.
    It may be because the region where you are, Samsung hasn't pushed the updates !! So don't worry about that you will get one although i think you know this is the problem with Android devices manufactured by samsung they aren't interested in giving users the update. So you have to bear with it, and another thing that strikes into my mind why don't you root your device and move forward in trying the cyanogen mode RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunchasers64 View Post
    No updates are found OTA or through Kies.
    Is there anything special about your phone (rooted, etc)?
    How is it that you didn't have 4.1.2?

Given the various issues some people have complained about after updating to 4.3 (along with limitations for future rooting; loading alternate firmware, etc), are you sure you want to update? You might want to keep your options open and load a special version of 4.3 that doesn't have the Knox component present (this will only be of interest if you think you might like to fiddle around with the phone in the future).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Nothing special about my phone, not rooted. I have no idea why I don't even have 4.1.2. It has never found updates. I'm not sure I'm tech savvy enough to root the phone on my own. I've never done anything like that. I'm sure I have a friend or two that could do it for me, though.

What does AT&T Customer Service say about the matter? I've read posts before where the carrier didn't have the correct model provisioned at their end, so the update was never enabled.

I've also read that for some other users, getting a replacement SIM card fixed the problem (sorry if your particular model doesn't use a SIM card - I've lost track of which ones do/don't).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm taking it to the AT&T store this week. Just found out 4.1.1 is vulnerable to the Heartbleed hack. Hopefully they can update it.